New Virus Owner couple Questions

• Hey Everyone, recently bought a Virus TI have a few questions hoping someone can answer :)

Even if you can only answer one, all help appreciated :)

1. What is the most common way of searching through presets? Do you use the audition function on the virus? or do you use the plugin and search through the banks that way?

2. What is your preferred/best method of saving favourite patches? Do you generally use the RAM Banks? Or save them in the plugin? I found saving them through the RAM is quite tedious?

3. Is there a way to save favourite presets to RAM A-D, in the plugin?

4. How did you get a grasp on the presets? Theres soo many (good thing im not complaining), did you just go thru every single bank when you got your virus and picked out all your favourites?

5. Does anyone recognise this preset? I know for a fact its from the virus, just yet to find the specific patch :)

http://www30.zippyshare.com/v/78079861/file.html

• These questions mostly come down to workflow, in that some people prefer to use the plugin and some do not.

1. I would use the Search button on the Virus, then select the type of catagory I wanted to find, and start cycling through patches.
    2. I use the Store button on the Virus. I don't find it tedious at all... then again, I never name my patches, so I have a few hundred -INIT- patches. Unless you're using the plugin, you have to save in the RAM banks.
    3. Yeah, you have two panes for patch selection in the plugin. You should open the RAM bank you want to copy to in one pane, and the one with the preset in the other pane, and drag the preset to the place you want it in RAM. At least, I think that's how it works, I don't use the plugin that much and I'm not near my Virus.
    4/5. I'm not much of a preset user, so somebody else will have to help you on those. My advice would be to make use of 3 and copy any preset you like to a place you'll know to find it. Either that or I guess you could keep a notebook or something?

• Thanks so much for your help. Does anyone recognise the preset?

Also

Is there a way to turn off the USB? I have it plugged in via usb permanently,, but every now and then i wish to play on it whilst my computer isint on, is there a way to bypass the usb, i find myself having to unplug it everytime :(

• hey boreg, i got a few more virus question i was hoping i could ask you.

Firstly every time my mac is on, and the virus is plugged in via USB, it wont play as standalone, yet when i the usb pulled out, it plays normally through the audio out (as i havent got MIDI to work yet), is that correct? I might have to get a usb cable with a switch then to stop me having to fumble behind for the usb cable to pull out, when i just wna have a play :(

Also i use a fireface, and for the life of me just cant work out how to set it up so midi works? Do you mind giving me some helpful advice/pointers :)

Thanks man!

• I dunno man, I keep the USB plugged in permanently and even with my PC on, Virus plays fine as a standalone (MIDI in, audio out). Only when I open the Virus Control in my DAW, USB takes over the MIDI input (the display on Virus shows "USB" to indicate that). Maybe it's different for Macs?

We can try and troubleshoot your setup together, but you need to provide more details - first, do you have a keyboard Virus, or a desktop + MIDI controller?

• Sorry mate, my previous post is wrong.
    Correction: Virus' USB connection appears as MIDI device called "Virus TI Synth" (at least, that's how it is on Windows). As long as no program has this device open, Virus works over MIDI. If I open Reaper and enable output to "Virus TI Synth", it establishes a USB connection with the Virus, disabling normal MIDI.

I'm not sure about Macs, maybe there's some background process that keeps USB-MIDI connection with the Virus open?