Want To Master The Virus?

• Hello there.

I bought the Virus last year (december 2012) and have been getting lost through all the awesome patches and presets and downloading whatever I can find of the internet. (good job to everyone who releases their patches, trust me I have them all!)

However, I think its time to learn the Virus inside out as I love the machine and have run out of money to buy more vsts and such.

I know nothing about synthesis. I obviously know what filters are but struggle to know what exactly LFOs are ( i think of them as lines of automation, i don't how accurate that is)

I am looking for online resources about synthesis, if its all done on the virus even better! (I learn better with visuals like videos)

I know about the sound on sound synth secrets article, but it is WAY too technical and extremely long.

I bought Welsh's synth cookbook, however, I have trouble finding the exact parameters in the Virus Control Plugin to actually follow the patch instructions.

I need a resource that would explain synthesis like I am a 2 year old in very simple terms and examples!

Anything would help! Thanks guys!

• Have you watched all the videos here?
    ( they provide a lot of great info )
    Also the synth tutorial that comes with the virus is very good,
    (Also downloadable here)

I'm also going through syntorial which I'd recommend
    (Syntorial.com)

• Those SOS Synth Secrets articles are great, that's normally the first place I direct people to when they want to learn about synthesis. It does take time to wade through them all but it is worth the effort, even if you just read 2 or 3 a week.

If you prefer a video type tutorial then these are also very good, they're not free but if you watch them you will learn a lot - a months subscription is a good place to start at MPV as that will let you watch any of the tutorials in their huge library.

The Foundation Of Synthesis

Analog Synthesis in a Digital World

Advanced Synthesis

• lol that's ridiculous. you buy a Virus and you know nothing about synthesis????

you might aswell have bought some really good sample packs for under €200,-

in order to fully harness the power of the virus you not only need to know about synthesis, you also need to learn about the virus itself.
    I'm a TI owner for one year now and I'm still learning.

• lol that's ridiculous. you buy a Virus and you know nothing about synthesis????

you might aswell have bought some really good sample packs for under €200,-

in order to fully harness the power of the virus you not only need to know about synthesis, you also need to learn about the virus itself.
    I'm a TI owner for one year now and I'm still learning.

I have know the basic of synthesis i as myself i think i might have some knowledge about that :D but mastering virus is somthing that will able me to open new doors:)

• Those SOS Synth Secrets articles are great, that's normally the first place I direct people to when they want to learn about synthesis. It does take time to wade through them all but it is worth the effort, even if you just read 2 or 3 a week.

If you prefer a video type tutorial then these are also very good, they're not free but if you watch them you will learn a lot - a months subscription is a good place to start at MPV as that will let you watch any of the tutorials in their huge library.

I'm going through those SOS Synth secrets columns. Jeez they're great but there are a lot of them. Very informative. I'm on article 25 of 63. Well worth it if you are obsessed with synth programming.