Virus TI2 and Logic Pro x

• Suddenly my Virus has become unable to play the notes I am entering on the keyboard; while it is still able to playback recorded midi fine. I reinstalled the latest beta which did nothing; I have reinstalled Logic Pro X and have the same problem. I am wondering where in Logic Pro X I can check and see if the cycle parameter is set to 1/94 - in Logic Pro 9 I could find it easily in the menu system but I cannot seem to track it down in Logic Pro X. My Virus TI will receive played notes from the keyboard if I reset all midi drivers; but if I tried to play an instance of the virus TI after that reset it no longer plays or registers note information from the keyboard to the virus. I have the same result in Logic Pro 9 as well.

Redownloading the 5.0.7 reinstalling and arp edit for 20 sec then plugging in a live usb cable fixed this issue. What a strange, strange, bug.

Nevermind as soon as I loaded another song, it reverts right back to the issue.

Also, while earlier the midi driver reset would prove to be fruitless, once i click midi reset i can actually play the keyboard and virus correctly until the reset finalizes and then I get the same issue.

Mac Pro 12 x 3.33GHZ, 64GB Mem, GTX 980ti 6GB RAM, Antelope Orion 32HD, Euphonix MC Control 2 and MC Mix, Virus TI2 (full keyboard), Yamaha RS-7000 AEIB2, Spectralis 2, Roland MC-505, Korg MicroKorg, OSX 10.12.5, Logic Pro X 10.4.2, ProTools 2018.1

MacBook Pro Dual 3.06 17", 4GB Mem, 9600M GT 512MB RAM

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von militantmind ()

• So is this a midi driver issue? I can playback midi data but not play notes on the keyboard; or I can play notes on the keyboard (not on the virus instance) and not playback the virus instance. Do I have to yet again send my Virus back to Access? It took me 2 years (and most of my warranty) to get you folks to repair this unit as it came broken; then you "forgot" to ship it back to me after 3+ months.

Advice Marc?

Mac Pro 12 x 3.33GHZ, 64GB Mem, GTX 980ti 6GB RAM, Antelope Orion 32HD, Euphonix MC Control 2 and MC Mix, Virus TI2 (full keyboard), Yamaha RS-7000 AEIB2, Spectralis 2, Roland MC-505, Korg MicroKorg, OSX 10.12.5, Logic Pro X 10.4.2, ProTools 2018.1

• Well, seeing as how this occurred by me simply powering up my Virus one day; that likely means it's the unit right? I mean, there's nothing else on the USB bus, no software was installed and nothing about my system changed. I just went to use it and this happened. I'd really appreciate a support ticket and to have you professionals repair this unit. I had a working unit for a couple months in Mavericks until this occurred; what a let down. Again, I've tried numerous Virus OS re-installs, reinstalled Logic Pro X a few times and I've tried the Virus factory reset as well. The only thing I haven't done is reinstall Mavericks and I would like to think that's not necessary.

• Thanks Marc, I always try to start with the forums (and your resident genius) before I possibly waste your repair center's time and effort. I have contacted them and are awaiting a response. I will update you as things progress.

• Marc,

I wanted to tell you that there is another superstar Access member aside from yourself; Jörg Hüttner. He believed me the last time my TI2 needed service and put through a ticket even though I had experienced some opposition to my TI2's useless state. This time he tipped me off and am back rocking. Although it did require a great deal of time and effort; I tried fresh installs of Mavericks and could not make it function. I downgraded a fresh install to 10.8.5 and all is well. I will simply have to wait for your final release version of the Virus OS to upgrade to Mavericks again. Too, I wanted to say that when I had said "you folks" I didn't mean anything negative, rather that's just my vanacular.

J

• I don't use USB much, but when I tested the 5.0.7 on 10.9.1, I also had quite a few issues with midi over USB.
    It would work for a bit, and then stop - sometimes doing a scan for devices (in audio setup/midi) would resolve it.
    (I did post this on the mavericks thread)

Marc, I note you posted in the mavericks thread, that you when you received the new drivers, you had midi issues
    (Mavericks Users?)
    have you got details for the nature of these, perhaps the 'fix' still has some minor issues?

is there an open ticket on midi issues for mavericks?
    the problems I had were rather intermittent, and there were no errors in the console logs etc, so could really be very specific about the problems, or how to reproduce them.
    but seems like militantmind issues were a bit more concrete, and if downgrading to 10.8.5 cured the issues, shows no hardware issue, so must be a driver issue.

would be nice to know there was still some work going on behind the scenes to ensure 10.9 support is improved over the beta
    thanks

• I should also state that I am using Virus OS release version 5.0.4.02 in Mountain Lion 10.8.5

• militantmind - all good. the folks are happy ;)
    as for your problem: i've talked with jörg and we have two people with the keyboard problem right now. you might be one of the two (i cannot check that right now). so far we know that only the keyboard stops working, if you twist a know on the keyboard, you will see the change reflected in virus control although the keyboard doesn't work. could you check if that's the case for you too? that would rule out a hardware problem.
    cheers, marc

• Hi

Yes! I can confirm that only the keyboard stops working and that if I do twist a knob it responds correctly; as though there was no issue. It certainly, for me, appears to be solely a driver issue. I am back up and running in 10.8.5 and with 5.0.4. with no abornal functions.

J

• Also I'd like to say that in Logic Pro X 10.0.6 apple reinstated the "cycle" option to general preferences.

• Is it only after you start VC?

Do you also get irregular data from the mod wheel as well as keyboard?

(Are you using 44khz or 48khz)
    I had similar issue on mavericks (see mavericks thead with video) was caused by VC and 48khz sample rat
    Seems ok with 44

• I mentioned this problem last year

http://www.virus.info/forum/in…ad&postID=24590#post24590

I contacted support, but never got to the bottom of it. Have tried a new USB hub, but to no avail and when it is working, MIDI is flimsy, for instance, I can play manually, repaeting 16th notes on one key and it will stop on one, then burst with 2 almost together, like some kind of buffer is being filled. I only use USB for sending midi as I gave up on USB audio which doesn't work unless you use the Virus as a Soundcard and ONLY use this synth...add others, softsynths etc, then game over. All I want it to do is act as a master controller and when I use the virus, be able to control it via the software and use the audio outs...but this MIDI disconnecting is a pain...all my other USB synth hardware works perfectly, just the virus.

• @magik i don't think this is related, as these problems were specific to 10.9/5.0.7 unlike yours.
    I had usb midi working fine on 10.8/5.0.3 with no issues, only when I upgraded did I have issues (as I documented on the Mavericks thread)

sounds like you have a more general issue… which I have a lot of sympathy for, its took me a lot of experimentation before I got the Virus to play nicely in my setup…. there are just so many variables to which the TI seems very sensitive too.
    I've had issues finding the right usb port/hub, using 48khz sample rate , spdif clock sync, and poor midi timing. And when I bought a new iMac recently I had to go through it all again.. as different (newer) hardware caused slightly different issues!
    fortunately, most of the remaining issues are not critical for me, I just have to workaround - which is worth it for what the TI gives me.

hope you can get your issues resolved with support.

• @magik i don't think this is related, as these problems were specific to 10.9/5.0.7 unlike yours.
    I had usb midi working fine on 10.8/5.0.3 with no issues, only when I upgraded did I have issues (as I documented on the Mavericks thread)

sounds like you have a more general issue… which I have a lot of sympathy for, its took me a lot of experimentation before I got the Virus to play nicely in my setup…. there are just so many variables to which the TI seems very sensitive too.
    I've had issues finding the right usb port/hub, using 48khz sample rate , spdif clock sync, and poor midi timing. And when I bought a new iMac recently I had to go through it all again.. as different (newer) hardware caused slightly different issues!
    fortunately, most of the remaining issues are not critical for me, I just have to workaround - which is worth it for what the TI gives me.

hope you can get your issues resolved with support.

Thanks for the message, but it really is the same issue. The keyboard stops working in Logic and Logic X and if I change channel in Logic, nothing when i press the keys (Nothing in the events window of Logic) but if I use a different keyboard, it will play the virus. I have to turn it on and off, then sometimes it will work and then not...other times it will work and randomly stop working. I just end up using something else...not great.

• Thanks for the message, but it really is the same issue. The keyboard stops working in Logic and Logic X and if I change channel in Logic, nothing when i press the keys (Nothing in the events window of Logic) but if I use a different keyboard, it will play the virus. I have to turn it on and off, then sometimes it will work and then not...other times it will work and randomly stop working. I just end up using something else...not great.

we haven't been able to reproduce the behavior in there so far. is there anything specific we need to do, or does it just happen? so far it seems that moving knobs on the virus still moves controls in Virus Control, even though the keyboard does not work anymore? is that true for everybody in here?
    thanks, marc

• Marc, did you read my post on the mavericks thread : here and watch the video I produced.
    I spent quite a bit of time and trouble documenting the issue, testing etc and yet I heard nothing...
    I would really like to have heard if anyone at Access, tried to reproduce the problem as it seems fairly clear cut to me, and I was able to reproduce easily.
    Id also like to know if it was likely to be fixed or not

Thanks
    Mark

• I've got this issue with a virus ti2 polar/darkstar 5.0.8: os x 10.10.1, logic pro x 10.1.0. I've tried to keep it quite basic: I've got power and usb plugged in directly, that's it and I've got one virus track and one kontakt instrument on a different track. I'd like to play either/both using the virus keyboard. If I turn local on it plays the virus (though it's erratic, for instance if I let up on a key the note often doesn't end like it ought to; but not every time). If I turn local off, then it doesn't play (the odd thing is that once in a while I -do- get a note, though, playing either the virus or kontakt instrument track; but it's very infrequent and essentially doesn't work). Identical to others' experience: knobs work fine and there's visual feedback in the plug-in, etc. it's only the keys that don't play. If I've drawn in/programmed notes in the track directly (logic piano editor) then playback is fine, too..