Problem with Virus TI Desktop at initial setup: USB Devices Disabled, Unplug the device using too much power to re-enable USB devices

• Problem with Virus TI Desktop at initial setup: USB Devices Disabled, Unplug the device using too much power to re-enable USB devices
    Problem with Virus TI Desktop at initial setup:

I keep this getting this error every time is connect the virus to my macbook pro 15 2011. "USB Devices Disabled, Unplug the device using too much power to re-enable USB devices"

I've tried everything and spent two hours on the phone with apple troubleshooting the issue to no avail. please help. because the computer isn't even recognizing the connected virus, I haven't been able to perform initial firmware updates during the driver installation process.

I also tried hooking up the virus to a friends macbook pro 13 2014 and i didn't get this error message ... so it appears it's only my laptop. both my USB ports are fully functional..midi key board and audio interface work fine in either port as well as external mouse and keyboard. switching usb ports arounds/cables/plugging in only the virus..etc nothing works. ideas appreciated. thanks