Virus TI as reverb effects unit or Eventide Space?

• Does anyone own either/both of these? I've been interested in getting an Eventide Space, but every time I am about to push the 'buy' button, I stop and realize that I have a Virus TI polar that I could use as an effects processor for my external gear... I do a lot of ambient stuff and really love the sound of that Space reverb, but I also really like the internal TI reverb. Is one better than the other? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

• Yes, I happen to own both Virus TI and Eventide Space. While the FX on the Virus are very good, and generally regarded as some of the best among built-in synth FX, the Eventide is really in a league of its own. It just sounds classy and expensive. Besides, the overlap with the Virus in terms of features is quite small - the Virus will never give you these long (or infinite even!) trippy modulated reverb tails, or a spring reverb, or reverb with pitchshifter in feedback path ("shimmer").

So, in a nutshell - yes, if you're into ambient, and have the budget, go for Space, you won't be disappointed :thumbup:

A small tip: if you connect one of the Virus' sub outputs to the Eventide's input, the "Surround pan" feature of the Virus effectively gives you a dry/wet mix control for all Multi parts.

Hope this helps.

• Damn, that's exactly the information I was looking for boreg :) Thanks for the insight!

I think I mostly am interested in those long reverb tails (I heard the TC Hall of Fame was pretty good for those, and I've also been interested in the Lexicon MPX1, which I've heard is AS GOOD as SPACE, but I can't be sure).

Thanks for the tip as well. So much appreciated!!!!!!!

• interesting thread... ive been thnking along similar lines...

what fx can i move off the virus ( without loosing quality) , so as to free up dsp resources.

im interested in ambient (studio based). would you guys recommend any vst/au (mac) that could be used along side the virus?
    ( not sure i really want to spend so much on eventide or uad ... even though they are undoubtedly excellent)

also do you use anything to 'warm up' the virus, i currently use eq, and im experimenting with virtual amps (eg guitar rig)

thanks for any pointers
    mark

• Check out the ValhallaDSP line of plugins. The all have fully functional demos, and cost only 50$ each. I've got all of them and have nothing but praise to say about them.

• Valhalla Shimmer - reverb with pitch shifter in feedback path (inspired by Eventide). Ambient heaven!
    • Valhalla UberMod - multitap delay that becomes chorus, flanger or even reverb, depending on settings. Very unique design.
    • Valhalla VintageVerb - extremely versatile and good-sounding reverb inspired by HW processors (Lexicon and such)
    • Valhalla Room - another useful and versatile reverb, perhaps with less "character" than VintageVerb. It does not emulate quirks of hardware, rather it is based on an "idealized" model.

hope this helps 8)

• thanks boreg...
    conincidently i was testing them yesterday ... just cant decide which :)
    shimmer looks like a must... then need something more general purpose, so either room or vintage
    then uber looks good for delay/echo... didnt get to play with this.

choices :)

• Check out the ValhallaDSP line of plugins. The all have fully functional demos, and cost only 50$ each. I've got all of them and have nothing but praise to say about them.

• Valhalla Shimmer - reverb with pitch shifter in feedback path (inspired by Eventide). Ambient heaven!
    • Valhalla UberMod - multitap delay that becomes chorus, flanger or even reverb, depending on settings. Very unique design.
    • Valhalla VintageVerb - extremely versatile and good-sounding reverb inspired by HW processors (Lexicon and such)
    • Valhalla Room - another useful and versatile reverb, perhaps with less "character" than VintageVerb. It does not emulate quirks of hardware, rather it is based on an "idealized" model.

hope this helps 8)

Wow - just tried Shimmer - what a beautiful bit of kit!
    Thanks for the tip