Mod matrix routings thread

• Hey guys i thought it would be great if we could have a thread dedicated to mod matrix routings people like to use. Id say i have got passed the beginers stage of learning synthesis and want to start taking things further then just standard things like modutating filters ect. So this would be great for me and im sure others to learn new techniques and delve a little deaper into what the virus can do.

If anyone has anything to share that would be great. :) I'll try to get some settings up asap as im not by my synth at the minute.

cheers Jamie

• I have some hints here and perhaps a little advice on how to speed up some things in working with the Virus. First a couple of modulations:

source: filter envelope
    destination: filter decay

By letting the filter modulate itself, you obtain so called recursive modulation. The result is that the decay will now get a concave or convex shape which makes the envelope more subtle or aggressive. You can do the same with other stages of the adsr on both filter and amp envelope.

source: velocity
    destination: wavetable position

By making this setting, every time you hit a note, the velocity at which you hit the note will select a different position in the wavetable. By carefully selecting wavetable, initial position and modulation depth, you can bring melodies way more to life. For instance playing rough makes the sound more harsh while playing soft gives you a more sweet and civilised kind of sound or vice versa.

source: filter envelope
    destination: wavetable position

Every time you hit a note, the wavetable is swept. By carefully selecting wavetable, initial position and modulation depth, you can control how subtle or agressive the sweep is.
    The effect can be enhanced further by letting the velocity modulate the depth of the above modulation. Striking a note hard gives a broader sweep while playing gently gives you a fairly static note. This, again, can be enhanced by letting the mod wheel modulate the wavetable position.
    While playing you select which part of the wavetable is swept, while at same time the velocity defines how far the sweep goes.

There are a lot more of tricks like this, but let me describe a couple of things which make life easier by giving one example:

Start with a basic sawtooth patch. Now dive in the mod matrix and configure it in such a way that:

-the first softknob selects the wavetable of both oscillators.
    -the second softknob selects wavetable position of both wavetables
    -lfo x modulates the wavetable position of both oscillators
    -the third softknob controls lfo depth for both oscillators in the above modulation
    -lfo x is selected.
    -set up fx detuning etc. at taste.

Now save this patch to a ram slot which you can easily find back and call it "wavetable start" or something. Now you have created a patch with which you can wander through all the wavetables to see how they sound and what a wavetable sweep (using the lfo) will sound like.

this patch can be used as a starting point for wavetable based sounds. Every time you want to search for a wavetable based sound, just load this patch as a starting point and use the softknobs for searching through those tables until you find what you need.

I have many more of these starting points in my virus, for example a basic fm patch, a basic hypersaw patch. a basic tb303 patch, a basic spectral wave patch, a basic sawbased bass patch, and so on and so on.

It will take some effort in the beginning to set up a collection like this, but it pays off in the long run as it saves a lot of stupid work.

M.

• Modulating volume with a fast random lfo...hmm...doesn' t look that spectacular on paper, so let' s try that one :)

On a side note, this whole recursive modulation issue was taken from the virus tutorial by Howard Scarr (p.26). Since he wrote it in a booklet that came with the TI, I thought it was a "clean" technique to use. Could you clarify a little under which circumstances it should not be used? Thanks!

m.

• Awesome carnt wait to try some of these. Mark when you say side effects what sort of stuff do you mean as long as it dosent break my synth its good for me.

cheers Jamie

• On a side note, this whole recursive modulation issue was taken from the virus tutorial by Howard Scarr (p.26). Since he wrote it in a booklet that came with the TI, I thought it was a "clean" technique to use. Could you clarify a little under which circumstances it should not be used? Thanks!

recursive modulation was always considered to be a trick which never was officially supported. it works in most cases but in some, it might not. back in the days when the tutorial was written, the virus was a lot simpler and therefore the chance of side effects was much smaller.

best, marc

• Merlin,

your starting paths were what is missing in my virus !

it's like the templates in the other synth (like the vsti of arturia)

It seams to be well finish, so, can you make a compilation in a .mid file for the community plz?

• Marc: Thanks! I' ll take your advice but I won' t stay away from using that technique...I have been warned though ;)

I am willing to compile a soundset with some basic templates, but it will take some time to set up as I have to change several parameters per patch in order to get some coherence in the set and also I have to compile an accompanying pdf file which provides a small description of what each patch does, what is the way of thinking behind it and what to try and look out for/suggestions for enhancements.

I will, however, only make this effort if such a set is actually considered useful throughout this forum. Compiling something for one person only doesn' t make much sense, considering the work I' ll put into it and in the upcoming weeks, time is not on my side.

So...if there is some response to this thread and people are interested, I' ll do my homework.

Is there something like a file section on this forum? Would be great to have for things like this.

M.

• recursive modulation was always considered to be a trick which never was officially supported. it works in most cases but in some, it might not. back in the days when the tutorial was written, the virus was a lot simpler and therefore the chance of side effects was much smaller.

If so, it would be nice if access adds a slope parameter for attack, decay and release as proper replacement. Especially the filter envelope often reacts pretty "stubborn", not sure if this is a problem with the envelope itself or the parameter scaling, with only two envelopes at hand stacking them is rarely an option, so on quite some occasions recursive modulation is the only way to get the wanted (for instance punchy) behaviour.

• Merlin,

Thanks alot for this tip! Today I was going over the wavetable video tutorial, so far I haven't touched wavetable synthesis since it's so incredibly deep. I already wondered how I would check all different wavetable combinations. Trial and error will take alot less time using your tips!

Don't mind posting more of such great tips! (like the tb303 one :)

• I would use it! So that's atleast two interested people. so please feel free to make the mentioned midfiles :)

• Is there a list somewhere of all the TI mod matrix destinations?

I'm used to seeing that sort of thing in the user manuals but I can't find it in the Reference Manual ?(