Sound quality differences - standalone vs VC

• I think many of the issues to do with different sound in VC than in standalone mode are removed if you work at 48khz. I always used to work at 44, but recently thought I'd test the Virus at 48khz and I think it sounds much better. It's annoying in Cubase to switch sample rates, but well worth it - I always thought the virus sounded dead in Cubase, now I run at 48khz it sounds just like it does in standalone mode.

i hope this helps

T Shark

• Sounds plausible, I'm sure i tried this once using the spdif outs and the sound kept breaking up. I wonder if this will cause even more stress on the precious usb 1.1 bandwidth architecture this system has in place.

• optik is this over USB?

I used to use 48khz over spdif and preferred it, but this is now broken on OS 5.0.7 on Mac OS 10.9....
    ( louis1 getting the virus sync'd over spdif is tricky, I had to make my audio interface a Slave to the Virus, as the Virus is incapable of being a slave to the audio interface... as clock over spdif in is broken, it doesn't sync)

These days I use both the analogue outs and spdif, and sync at 44.1khz due to above issue. I think the analogue outs sound the same as standalone (which they should considering this is down the to AI to resample not TI)
    - the spdif sound more like the USB, not surprising as its also digital. So I feel its the DA->AD conversion that gives the extra 'colour'.
    (also there was some talk that the analog outs are done at 192khz, although means little if your AI is then sampling at 44khz!)

• ( louis1 getting the virus sync'd over spdif is tricky, I had to make my audio interface a Slave to the Virus, as the Virus is incapable of being a slave to the audio interface... as clock over spdif in is broken, it doesn't sync)

I wonder if this is why i could not get my motu to stay in 48khz!!!! talk about total integration