Virus TI2 and Logic 9 questions....

• I recently just purchased a Access Virus T12 synthesizer (really just amazing quality on this btw) and I've installed the current Virus COntrol software AU plugin (v 3.1) that lets you control the synth and monitor it in logic via usb/midi. i know that Instantiating more than one copy of the plugin is not possible as I understand it.

I've figured out (i think) how to get the (16 different) parts to recognize MIDI channels and play their respective notes/melodies independently, HOWEVER, since they are all referencing the same intrument instance of plugin they all seemed to be locked together within LOGIC with respect to volume adjustments, EQ and other additoinal processing. In other words, I cant just add compression to the bassline, lift the cutoff and resonance on the lead, and add delay to the pads without doing all of the above to the entire output of the virus. [The Virus Control gives me a certain amount of control over the mix of the voices with its individual part faders in the AU itself.]

So my question is, is their anyway of dividing the outputs of enviroment objects so that they allow me control of each voice/sound independently? Of course I can bounce down, but I'd like to avoid that as much as possible.

I may also be doing this entire thing wrong, so any explanation as to how to properly set-up my VIrus TI2 would be great.

Hope someone can help! Thanks alot.

• Hi there,

what you want to do is not a Virus issue but it depends on your DAW. Logic is quite capable of this, so you're lucky. ;)

As I'm far from my studio, this won't be about details, so please look them up in the Logic manual. The keyword is "multi output instrument".

Basically, you don't open the Virus plug-in as a stereo plug but as a multi output version (see Logic's flipmenu when opening the Virus plug-in). After that, the mixer channel strip with the Virus plug-in features a little "plus" symbol. With this, you can add channel strips that are locked to the plug-in strip and receive whatever the plug-in sends that way.

You then have to configure the plug-in to output its sounds on up to three USB outputs (COMMON or CONFIG menu of the Virus plug-in, as far as I remember). Finally, you have to configure the 16 Virus channels to output on the three USB channels. These are mirrored in the Logic channel strips you created above. There you can add fx plug-ins of your taste.

You can do that with any plug-in that is capable of multi output operations, e.g. EXS24, Kontakt or drum samplers like Battery or Guru.

Best regards,

Christian