Virus Ti2 Keyboard and Mainstage: using only keyboard but not button and knobs

• Hi all, my virus Ti2 keyboard is connected via soundcard analog input 1-2 and via USB to tranmit midi data, as a want to use also as master keyboard for vst in Mainstage.
    The problem is that when i press buttons in Mainstage the vst volumes changes or they change sounds...
    for example:
    - if I press "single" button the volume of all tracks in mainstage become at max (+6db)
    - if I press "multi" button the sounds of some vst changes..

how can i configure the Virus to use in Mainstage as master keyboard for only keyboard, sustain and ctr pedal (that I use for changing patches in Mainstage?) but not the knobs and buttons (i have Novation Launchcontrol for that)?

Thank you in advance!!

• I don't know what your setup is, but if you are on windows you can use something like midi-ox to filter out your traffic. http://www.midiox.com/

That way you can specify what messages get through. You might need to dig in a bit but it is quite powerful. No idea whether it works on Windows 8 or Windows 7 however. You can use in tandem with Midi Yolk to create a filtered stream.

I'm sure that your daw can also let you filter out some messages (Depending on the daw), so you might want to see what's offered there.

Good luck!

• given its mainstage im assuming mac :)

this is a bit odd, as im pretty sure changing modes does not send even sysex msgs let alone midi cc...

the only think i can think of is...
    a) changing modes, is sendng program changes messages.
    b) changng the patch, is sendng midi volume messages.

have a look in mainstage and look for an unlearn midi on the relevant controls....
    ( sorry i dont have mainstage)

also look to see if mainstage allows you to turn off automation/remote events for a specific midi channel
    ( live has this)

• Ok I left Mainstage for Ableton Live...but I have the same problem:
    when i change mode from SINGLE to MULTI, some vst changes presets (for example Sylenth)... there a way to use only keyboard of virus TI, pitch and mod wheel without knobs and buttons for playing vst in Ableton LIve?

• Ok, something very strange is going on....

Ive checked my virus, and the only thing sent when you switch from multi -> single -> multi , is a sysex message, but these are not midi learnable.

you can tell live, not to use anything from the Virus for controls (so just use as a keyboard) - In live, under midi inputs, virus synth , check remote is OFF.
    but to be honest, I don't think that is the issue... as Live will not respond to sysex messages anyway

I wonder if your novation, or some other device is responding to the sysex... and then sending a message to Live/Mainstage,
    try unplugging everything other than the virus, and see if Live/Mainstage still do the same thing.

If they do, then you are going to have to use a midi monitor, to find out whats going on,
    try using http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

• Ok I tried using midi monitor:
    the result when I press multi button is:

19:56:46.343 From Synth Control 1 Bank Select 0
    19:56:46.346 From Synth Control 1 Bank Select (fine) 3
    19:56:46.352 From Synth Program 1 8
    19:56:46.358 From Synth SysEx Access 11 bytes

And sylenth vst change to preset 009 automatically even if in midi preferences i put remote off....
    the only way not to make change sylenth to preset 009 is put in midi preferences track off but in this way I can't use virus as master keyboard for the vst.....

So the problem I think is in sylenth1..... but in the vst there is no preferences for midi.....I need help...... I use a lot this vst :(:(:(:(

• Maybe I solved!!!

Go to multi -> then Shit+ EDIT -> Prog Change Disabled.... in this way now sylenth does not change anymore preset....... I wrote here if I solved definitely... thanks for help!!!

• odd... thats what I thought in my previous post...
    but when I tested it, I didn't get any program change messages... now I think its my Virus that is incorrect... I think it is never sending program change messages when I switch patches, even though its enabled in the menus.
    (are you using 5.0.7? .. perhaps its a bug in the latest virus os)

hope it works for you

• Its very annoying... to solve this problem I have to Disable All Prog CHange for every patch in multi.. so if I have to do it for every patch for every 16 parts of each patch but in this way it seems to work now...

• there is a global progam and multi program change under the config menu.
    not sure if thats just for not receivng PC messages or sending...
    sorry cant test, as i said mines not sending them at all.

as for upgrading,
    im not sure, people have other issues with 5.0.7/8 some only have minor issues, others have major ones.
    and no one knows why... so its a gamble upgrading :(