Cubase 5 Side chain tutorial (Video)!

• I really don't mean to be rude as I am grateful for your time, but this method is pretty much useless for those who want to utilize sidechaining to its fullest capacity meaning being able to have it running processed audio through the Virus while other elements in a track are going on simultaneously around it. In your video, sure it works on a 2 track mixdown, but have you ever tried to do it on a single element in a track in progress with other elements playing along side it? If you tried you would see it bomb out pretty quickly. Why? It isn't delay compensated, therefore the Virus processed material does not stay in time with the rest of your track playing around it. If you have a drum loop set to NO BUS but SEND it to another audio track containing the Virus as an FX plugin, try and setup a second drum loop but actually set it to an output bus. You will hear how the two drum loops which would normally be in time with each other slowly turn into a shoes in the dryer event with them never matching up. The longer it plays, the more out of time they become with each other. Having one drum loop being played through the Virus which is not delay compensated and another played directly from your soundcards outputs will not be in time with each other.

You did manage to get processing done. I am sure it isn't a total waste if you are willing to use the Virus for resampling purposes, or are willing to bounce down every change you make, but to use it in a realtime environment, it is just not feasible. I am sure both Steinberg and Access know how to setup their project just like you did, after all, they created both Cubase and the Virus, but they also both know their limitations when being used together in this manner. It just will not happen until Steinberg properly allows for delay compensated sidechaining of instruments.

The only other thing I can think of, I would love to see it happen but I highly doubt it will, is if Access creates a dumbed down 'FX only' version of the Virus Control. One that only contains the Filters and FX pages only, perhaps even the browse page just for loading Atomizer and Vocoder presets like you did in your video, just for processing, and has it made as an actual insert effect and not an instrument so that Cubase can properly delay compensate it.

Again, don't mean to rain on your parade, but the facts are there and they aren't nice.

• yeah dude.... It's a way around Cubase 5's limitation. Of course it won't work as good as it would be with regular side chaining...

As Marc said before, this is a problem that only Steinberg can fix. If you want all of the other features use Logic or smoething.
    Don't hold me responsible for the flaws of this way around. If it worked flawlessly don't you think they would put it in the manuals already?

Seriously...
    :huh:

• yeah dude.... It's a way around Cubase 5's limitation. Of course it won't work as good as it would be with regular side chaining...

As Marc said before, this is a problem that only Steinberg can fix. If you want all of the other features use Logic or smoething.
    Don't hold me responsible for the flaws of this way around. If it worked flawlessly don't you think they would put it in the manuals already?

Seriously...
    :huh:

haha, this was a strange post. You mentioned exactly what I was trying to prove, that this method is flawed and far from perfect, and of course it would have been in the manual if it was meant to work. I was only stating what I did because others seemed to be overly joyed at what you originally posted. I was trying to avoid anyone encountering disappointments when they realized it wasn't all the other posters had it cracked up to be.

I am well aware the limitations aren't yours unless of course you work for Steinberg.

• Great post! But for some reason for me there is no Virus VST showing for me on the list for VST inserts on the FX track.

I have Cubase 5 studio latest update, xp 32bit, TI2, and version 3.3 of the VCC installed.

Both the Virus, and Virus Snow show fine as an instrument, or as a VST on a midi channel. Is there anything you have to do to get it to show up in the insert list like you have in your video? I noticed there was a grey X icon to the left of Virus TI and Virus Snow.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

• Thanks id45, but neither access or Virus are showing on the insert list on an audio channel. Just in case they were off screen, I set Cubase to show VST by vendor, as the list is smaller, but still no Access showing.

Very strange. Thanks for the help anyway :)