Midi Input and outputs changing after short period of inactivity

• Hi Guys,

I got a Virus Ti2 Polar yesterday but when I walk away from my computer for 10 minutes, then come back to carry on OSX pops up and informs me via a notification that my midi inputs and outputs have changed. It seems that it changes from using the Virus' USB midi over to using no midi hardware.

The OSX notification says " the number of MIDI inputs and outputs have changed, now 0 inputs and 0 outputs are available".

To fix this i power off/on the Virus, which seems to give me back the ability to enter midi notes and consequently gives me back sound. And a notification pops up saying I now have 3 inputs and 3 outputs available.

Im using Logic Pro X on Mavericks 10.9.2, with the latest Virus Control software (5.0.8.00). This issue happens when using the Virus as the main soundcard (core) and also when I use my external soundcard as the main audio output.

It seems like maybe something is going to sleep and impacting the midi drivers, has anyone seen this type of behaviour before or can anyone help please?

Thanks!

• Hi Techno,

When I rescan it finds the virus' midi inputs and outputs, and i can see the midi note activity in Logic, but no sound comes from the Virus until I soft reboot it unfortunately. I hope someone has an idea whats going on, its pretty painful. But one thing I just noticed is its intermittent, doesn't always happen. Several times a day though..

Thanks

• To fix this i power off/on the Virus, which seems to give me back the ability to enter midi notes and consequently gives me back sound. And a notification pops up saying I now have 3 inputs and 3 outputs available.

when you connect the virus, you will see that logic reports two midi ins and midi outs. but you're saying that your logic reports three midi ins and midi outs in total. so, assuming that the virus gets removed for whichever reason, one midi in and one midi out should remain. it could be that you have a problem with the midi server in OSX. but it is undetermined what causes the issue you face.

is it working for you when you disable sleep mode?

in any case, you might want to contact support by email,
    marc

• Hi Marc

Yes I think that because im using an external soundcard (Focustire Pro10) that Logic reports more than 2 midi ins/outs. And it does seem like maybe an issue with the midi server in OSX as you mentioned.

Do you mean disable sleep mode in the virus or osx? I cant find how to do that within the virus, but Ive turned off sleep mode and disk sleep in osx ;)

Thanks for your reply mate, i'll log a case soon I think.

• Something else that happens from time to time when the midi device changes is after I restart Virus Control to fix the midi issue the volume of the parts clip at extreme volumes. I tried restarting the virus, virus control and then my soundcard but only restarting my computer fixes the clipping issue.

• Hi Techno,

When I rescan it finds the virus' midi inputs and outputs, and i can see the midi note activity in Logic, but no sound comes from the Virus until I soft reboot it unfortunately. I hope someone has an idea whats going on, its pretty painful. But one thing I just noticed is its intermittent, doesn't always happen. Several times a day though..

Thanks

Had the same and I first mentioned it here in April 2013. Dealt with support and never fixed my issue.

• which TIOS and MacOS were you using?
    marc

It has been since V5 that I have had the problem and I currently have the latest TI OS and using 10.8.5 OSX. Midi over USB is flakey and i even sent an audio file to you guys comparing playing a sound from the TI Keyboard and the same sound from another keyboard. The main thing though is that the TI driver gets kicked out, so I'll turn on the virus, load up Logic and sometimes it will work and other times it won't (press the keys nothing sent). This happens purely using the Ti for USB Midi, not as a plug-in and VC. It is not sharing the USB Buss (internal hub) with any other device, I bought a dedicated USB Hub for it, but made no difference...changed USB cables, etc