Saving a programme in Sequencer mode

• Hi,

I'm having a play around using my Virus Ti in sequencer mode via midi (USB)- just get a bit hacked off sometimes will all the latency the Virus Control plug in puts into my system....anyway.

When you set up a bunch of patches on respective midi channels when in sequencer mode is there a way to save that 'group' of patches and any changes you've made?

Also when in Single mode, is it possible to save changes to a patch without overwriting something else, i.e. are there any blank memory areas to save into?

As you can see I don't have much experience with using midi and hardware synths.

I'm using the Ti with Ableton 9 and routing the Virus in using the External Instrument facility.

Many thanks,

Chris

• Hi,
    When you set up a bunch of patches on respective midi channels when in sequencer mode is there a way to save that 'group' of patches and any changes you've made?

Yes, press Store, then destination... scroll to Multi Edit Buffer. then press store
    this will copy the Seq buffer to Multi, so now switch to multi mode, and press store, and find a location you would like to store.
    - bare in mind, that only the first 16 multis are stored without reference to the single patches ... check the manual, for multi mode reference chapter for explanation.

Hi,
    Also when in Single mode, is it possible to save changes to a patch without overwriting something else, i.e. are there any blank memory areas to save into?

Well you can save to any 4 RAM banks, each have 127 storage... so yes you are always going to overwrite something.
    but i think by default, the RAM banks only contain copies of things in the ROM and drones etc ( might be wrong), so no great loss.

'long term' the best way is to go through all the rom patches, determine which ones you like*, organise them, and then copy any of your own 'keepers' into ROM too... (using virus control centre)
    thereby freeing up RAM for work in progress.

* this is no 'big deal', as the patches in the rom are all downloadable here (and you should back them up anyway), so getting one back is easy,
    and using virus control or similar you can always, still use them from disk, and then later save back to rom if necessary

(of course i say this, and Ive still not got around to doing it myself! :S )

Of course the other options are (when connected to a computer):
    a) use virus control, then you can directly load patches from disk. (its also a good way to do the above organisation), and of course patches are saved with the project anyway
    b) use the midi dump features in the Store menu, basically the 'traditional' midi way... there are quite a few tools that will then allow you to use organise and store dumps
    c) use something like Ctrlr with the Virus panel (actually this is the same as the (b) , just a bit more specific to the virus.

hope this helps

• hi technobear

i tried this...

"Yes, press Store, then destination... scroll to Multi Edit Buffer. then press store
    this will copy the Seq buffer to Multi, so now switch to multi mode, and press store, and find a location you would like to store.
    - bare in mind, that only the first 16 multis are stored without reference to the single patches ... check the manual, for multi mode reference chapter for explanation."

And it didn't work.

I was using the Virus VC VST
    I loaded patches onto the hardware
    I then followed your instructions... and ...no patches on the virus

My problem is that I LOVE the librarian functionality of the Access VST
    But I then want to use the virus with good old fashinioned Midi cabes when recording
    prob is I cant save any of the patches i select when in USB SEQ mode

Is there a way to do this?