Studio One 2.6 experiences?

• I've been testing out hosts on Mac for their support for the Ti and so far Studio One seems to provide the best experience for the way I work. I'm mainly interested in stability, latency and rendering workflow - I don't use the Ti multi timbrally or sidechaining so didn't test those things. Here are the comparisons:

Tracktion 5 - unacceptable latency levels, unstable and renders tend to be distorted - also it has an offline "autorender" feature that kicks in as soon as you open a render window if you don't disable it which causes the Ti to switch itself off and I had to restart the whole project to get it working again.

Ableton Live - no realtime freeze/render - you have to render by recording live from a midi to audio track

Logic 9 - acceptable latency, relatively stable, no realtime freeze, realtime render only possible if you export to a file then reimport into project

Reaper - latency is very noticeable, Reaper has a rather unique way of handling audio that reduces CPU load by background pre rendering, so it's possible I if I disabled that and tweaked the audio settings I could get latency up to an acceptable level but then that would impact on other plugins. Freeze seems to be just offline but there is a realtime option in the audio export. Seems stable enough.

Studio One - very stable so far, latency very good without needing further tweaks of settings and what I liked most was it now has (since version 2.5 I believe) a "convert to audio" feature (basically freeze by another name) for each track that automatically determines if the render needs to be offline or realtime - that is a brilliant feature that makes rendering tracks from the Ti a seamless process. S1 also supports for most plugin formats - VST, VST3 and AU and supports them fully (unlike some other hosts that seem to just support parts of the plugin standards)

So as said, not tested how easy it is to setup multitimbral usage of side chaining in S1 but if anyone else has experiences of this please add to this thread. It would be cool if Access made S1 an officially supported host - they seem to have gone out of their way to make working with plugins like the Ti control a painless experience. The convert to audio feature is a godsend.

• Logic 9 - acceptable latency, relatively stable, no realtime freeze, realtime render only possible if you export to a file then reimport into project

That's not right.

Once I am satisfied with a composition, I record my Virus tracks to audio, and then disable the Virus Control plug-in. From that point on you can real-time render in Logic 9 (and X).

D.

• That's not right.

Once I am satisfied with a composition, I record my Virus tracks to audio, and then disable the Virus Control plug-in. From that point on you can real-time render in Logic 9 (and X).

D.

If you have recorded tracks to audio already and disabled the plugin why would you even need to do a realtime render? I scenario I am referring to is before you get to that stage, when you have recorded tracks using the control plugin and need to render them to audio. If there is another way I would like to know but as far as I can see, in Logic, there is only the realtime bounce/render, there doesn't seem to be a freeze or bounce-in-place that works in realtime. On Mac it seems only Studio One does that out of the hosts I have (on Windows Sonar does it too).

• live - i use external instrument, then you can realtime freeze track.
    ( id assumed you could freeze virus control track - no?)

No, the freeze in Live is offline. Can't see a realtime option unfortunately. I have not tried the external instrument plugin but isn't that essentially bypassing the control plugin anyway?

• Yeah I tend to use multitimbral and often multi output - so don't use your approach :)

BUT, I don't like being beaten... and so found a solution for you:

In your midi track,
    - create an instrument rack
    - put the VC in the rack
    - put an external instrument in the rack
    - on the external instrument, set a valid audio input, and gain to -infDb
    ( i didnt try, but you could also probably delete the note range on the chain, so it would not send midi at all)

now it will realtime freeze, (because live sees the external instrument and knows that it has to use realtime, and so does VC too )
    simple ;)

• yeah, it would be nice to not have to do all these 'tricks' with Live, but I quite like the fact that you are able to get round most things in some how :)

my 'pet hate' of Live, is 1 track = 1 midi channel, would be nice to record mutli channels on one track, or like logic pro x, have some concept of multimbral plugins.
    ive got live 9, lpx and reason, and each has its pros/cons.

• okay so try this in a S1 Project, Load the virus create a midi track and load a sound, now transform to audio with the ability to close the plugin, now load another instance and do the same, do this for about 7 times so you have 7 different audio tracks with individual virus sounds. Save project and close program restart project and see if you can insert the plugin as if you're starting a new session. The reason i ask is that sometimes my virus will crash the DAW when it's loading the vsti. and i can't load the virus on this project again.....even if i save it as another project name...