Virus Ti Usb Root Hub Mac Mavericks

• Access have stated that they are aware of an issue with older Virus TI boards not functioning properly in the OS Mavericks. I have used the TI for about 8 years. Here's what I know:

I use Ableton 9. Presonus Studio live 24.4.2AI. Late 2013 MBP

You can use your TI as a USB controller to your peripheral devices. This will only work as long as VC is NOT open.

You can use VC to control the virus TI, with a separate USB controller keyboard. For example: I can use a korg micro key to use the virus TI via virus control with LESS problems. Still a little latency some false starts and stops (as usual).

You can use The Virus in midi mode (the old way) with no issues what so ever, however use lose functionality of VC.

You cannot use the virus TI keyboard itself for anything while VC is loaded.

The Virus TI will NOT control peripheral devices while VC is active.

There is a Root Hub issue whether using a physical USB hub or not.

The root hub issue is NOT caused by your MAC. None of my other devices have issues. I am running 6 peripherals on one StarTech hub.

There is no latency on my other peripheral devices in the USB hub. The virus TI at max runs 17mbit data. This is negligible in the USB 3.0 environment.

The issue is with VC.

Fix it. I didn't pay 2000.00 dollars for a keyboard that stops working. OR. Authorize a repair on my board.

Sincerely
    ATCH

• There is a Root Hub issue whether using a physical USB hub or not.

The root hub issue is NOT caused by your MAC. None of my other devices have issues. I am running 6 peripherals on one StarTech hub.

There is no latency on my other peripheral devices in the USB hub. The virus TI at max runs 17mbit data. This is negligible in the USB 3.0 environment.

The issue is with VC.

We are definitely having the same problems here. I have two Belkin MTT 7 port hubs, everything works great except the TI MK1 keyboard. It's nothing unusual unfortunately and tech support is minimal.

I would post my support history here, but I'd rather recommend a good book.

It's usually a sign of a company in decline. If you're looking for spares, now might be the time.

• Marc. I HAVE emailed Access and I was told that there is nothing that can be done. I want the board that I PAID 2000.00 for to work. That's the bottom line. Please either fix it or replace my board.

• Access have stated that they are aware of an issue with older Virus TI boards not functioning properly in the OS Mavericks.

Really, Ive not seen any statement from Acess that says this, can you point me to it? Marc, is this true?

Personally Ive a TI1 keyboard, and only have a few issues:
    - 48k sample rate interfering with midi issue,
    - spdif sync issues
    - sleep mode removes midi driver

48k issue, we have been told a fix is 'in the pipeline' , so I just use 44k for now.
    spdif, i just have to accept, as it obvious there is no willingness from Access to investigate, let alone fix - so now I use analogue outputs only
    sleep mode, I've been told by Access they don't support 'wake from sleep', so unfortunately i just have to accept this.

except for these, VC and the TI mk1 works well for me on Mavericks with a 2012 iMac and Ableton, so I'm surprised you say there is an underlying issue with the USB, as I don't see it. yes, it took me quite some time to find a good combination of usb ports with my other devices and setting up ableton with appropriate delays was a pain - but i got there in the end, so I cannot see there is a fundamental issue.
    (Im a developer, so I also know what it would look like and how to diagnose issues, so its not that I'm just 'accepting' poor performance etc)

I do agree though the level of 'expertise' you need to get a so called 'plug and play' solution working with the TI is ridiculously high, Im not surprised that many get frustrated/give up trying to get there.

• To the users ranting about USB.. I suggest doing a search.

There is no fundamental issue with the Virus.. as techncobear suggests above, in some cases it CAN be a pain to get going the first time as you work to understand its requirements, but there are plenty of threads about the Virus and solutions for using it with USB..

The virus uses isochronous mode, and if you do not know intuitively what that is, then the issue is likely to be you, your USB port assignments on the computer and/or your other peripherals...

So, given that there are plenty of users using the same computer as you and the same software as you then the issue again is not the Virus..it is your setup.

• What Virus have you got exactly, and what OS / Sequencer / computer are you using? I'm guessing it's gold plated seen as yours works so well. There are limited options on a new Mac Pro so there is definitely an issue here. To make such a bold statement in my opinion is quite ridiculous.

• Nothing ridiculous at all....

I have a Virus Ti2 Polar running 4.5.3 connected to my dedicated studio computer running Win 7/64 and Sonar x3. The virus has been stable and trouble free using VST2 (Sonar X1 & X2) and VST3 (on Sonar x3).

What I needed to do was..

a) I installed a USB2 4 port hub card with multiple transaction translators, to which the majority of my peripherals are connected, some via an additional hub (that also has multiple transaction translators). Maschine has a port, MOTU midi express XT has a port, then Mouse, keyboard, Fantom G, Yamaha S70XS, MC-808, Line 6 pod HD and FBV express all are off the additional hub.
    b) The Virus occupies its own hub on the motherboard (one of two ports, the other port blanked off)
    c) To aid sync, midi tracks have a minimum of one blank measure preceding any clip.

regards..

• Mystic38 >> I think we're complaining about compatibility issues on OS X Mavericks, not Windows!

On my 2nd Virus, 8 years now... I had a few good years of no issues at all. It's a hit or a miss.

So, is it official that this won't be fixed? We're almost on to OS X Yosemite now. An official update would be nice!

Marc, I appreciate all the support and dedication you've given over the years, but currently it seems like we're beating a dead horse.

I come in every few months to check if there is a fix that can rescue my Polar TI2. After 2 rounds of emails, even Support goes silent. I also don't see any Public Betas testing out this issue. :(

• Guys,

I was having this same error about Virus sharing the same usb hub, etc, etc. Even though i was´t using a hub. This happened whenever i connected my apogee duet and the virus at the same time. Now, I got to know how to fix this (actually, is not a fix, but a procedure).

You just need to to things with the next order:

1. Connect your virus via usb
    2. Open your sequencer (Ableton 9 in my case)
    3. Load the Virus TI Plugin (or load your project with your previously used TI plugin). You have to do this before connecting other stuff
    4. Only after all this has been done, connect whatever extra peripheral you need, audio card, usb hubs, controllers, etc

Doing this way you won't get the infamous "virus is using the same usb hub" error.

I hope this helps, I was going nuts, and tried all possible combinations of connections, and I've been using this one for a while now and everything is smooth.

Best wishes and happy 2015,
    Iván

• Yeah I was having these issues too on OSX Mavericks and Yosemite. I tried to plug in things in the right order etc.. I would lose connectivity every time!

It was the most frustrating feeling having to hurry and export your sounds because you didn't know when the comp was going to lose connection with the synth.

I purchased a belkin thunderbolt hub off of eBay for $89 US and this has solved the problem. it was a small price to pay for stability, IMHO

Thank goodness... I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to use the software interface.

I hope this helps other Virus Users.

• It DOES! I am migrating from PC back to Mac after many years and running into this. I just had the conflict totally negate any input device on my computer. I finally just unplugged the TI so I could get back to work but not before a stop to ebay. Thanks for the tip!

Cheers!

• And just like that, after 6 months of Virus (as I use it exclusively VC) downtime, after updating to the latest 5.1.3 there is no USB/Root hub prompt and my patch syning TI seems to be back online. Thank you Access, I had almost given up.

I spoke too soon, chunky/delayed MIDI notes over USB and no audio coming through the VC.

I'm done with this. Goodbye Access.