Virus TI-1&2 need several restarts until any/normal sound comes out

• Hello friends!

I love my Virus when it runs, but am having some serious troubles which kill the vibe just when I'm full of fire to make a track ..
    right when i fire everything up ..

I will try and list the symptoms as well as their surroundings as accurately, yet briefly as possible:

relevant equipment:

-iMac, Mavericks 10.9.3, thus 64 bit
    -Ableton Live 9
    -RME Fireface 800 Soundcard
    -Virus TI-2 desktop
    --OS 5.0.8.00
    --Control Version 5.0.8.00
    --Audio Driver/Library Version: 3.0.2.12
    --Host Interface Version 3.0.2.12
    --MIDI Driver Version 1.7.0.0

The Virus is solely connected via USB, directly, no hub,
    still getting the root hub warning, but i read on the forums here to ignore it and get on with life, which i have been doing.

My settings on Ableton:
    --48khz
    --buffer: 512
    -relevant MIDI Settings on Ableton:
    --Input: Virus TI (MIDI) / Track ON / Sync OFF / Remote OFF
    --Input: Virus TI (Synth) / Track ON / Sync OFF / Remote OFF
    --Output: Virus TI (MIDI) / Track OFF / Sync OFF / Remote OFF
    --Output: Virus TI (Synth) / Track OFF / Sync OFF / Remote OFF

i do a mix of restarts when symptoms occur, none seem to work better or worse though, but :

--POWER ON/OFF
    --killing power at the plug
    --reloading the VST
    --reloading as AU
    --reloading the project
    --loading a new custom initialise project with Virus already set up
    --every now and then i also used to follow the 'No Virus TI can be found' instructions which pop up every time i disconnect or switch off the device,
    --e.g. disconnect, wait 30 sec hold ARP EDIT of 10 secs etc, but i stopped doing that since it also is no guarantee that it will work but the most time-consuming..

I have also once uninstalled the Virus Control Plugin and re-installed it

-Scenario 1:
    --no sound
    --Virus Control Plugin shows in the Voices menu on the left that sound should come through, however the channel in Ableton remains stumm

-Scenario 2:
    --no sound
    --i can see that the MIDI signal is arriving at the Plugin via Ableton, though no sign of life in any way from the Plugin itself

-Scenario 3:
    --sound can be seen coming out the plugin is not audible
    --the plugin on the channel in Albeton shows an output (sometimes it is responsive to note on/off, at other times it remains constant) - The Channel on Ableton where the plugin resides shows no output.

-Scenario 4:
    --quiet sound can be seen coming out the plugin but at normal Monitoring Volume hardly audible
    --when i turn up my monitors all the way i hear a faint, very distorted signal, possibly a version of my preset on the voice thats being triggered

-Scenario 5:
    --distorted sound
    --presets seem to load since i can hear a resemblance of their timbres when i switch through my presets .. although they are terribly distorted

-Scenario 6:
    --distorted sound, no note-release
    --same sound as Scenario 5, but the notes are on hold, so when i release the key, or the midi trigger ends, the note is not being released.

Sometimes the Virus springs to live after 2-3 tries, sometimes it takes a perceived 500 restarts at waiting times of up to 15 mins ..

Some important information for locating the source of the problem:

The same problem occurred on a Virus TI (1) Polar keyboard edition which i had bought around 2009 second hand in the UK ..
    It took me until 2012 until i started using it fully integrated, but then the same behaviour was present right away.
    Since it was a second hand machine i banked on the fact that if i got a brand new TI-2 the problems would resolve naturally ..

I have also switched computers and OS from a MacBookPro/SnowLeopard to the iMac/Mavericks ..

Two different Computers, two different Tis and the same problem occurring logically leads to the conclusion that the problem is somewhere in my settings, not any hardware.

I hope i haven't forgot to mention anything..

Thank you very very much in advance, I am certain with the help of this forum full of people who know whats good for them we'll get this baby running smoothly in no time!

I owe you already for having read all this ;)

Cheers,
    Adrian

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Fergyb123 () aus folgendem Grund: corrected detail in Scenario 3

• trying using 44khz sample rate ... some of us are finding 48khz has lots of problems, including killing the midi driver.
    (this happened to me since moving to Mavericks and 5.0.7)

apart from that, try other USB ports, with all other USB devices removed... sometimes its just a matter of getting the right combination.

(btw, are you using Live 9 32bit or 64bit? vst/au? ... I'm using 32 bit fine, I don't know how many are using 64bit ... don't think this has anything to do with issue, just interested :) )

• Hey, thanks for the rapid reply!

Yes switching USB ports i had tried a few times, also with all other devices removed.. did not make a difference..

I also used to run 41 kHz , tried again just now just to be sure, problem persists.

I am running Ableton on 64 bit - Once the Virus runs it runs fine .. although when the computer goes to sleep and i wake up the system, the problem then often reoccurs in one of the forms mentioned.

But when i was on Snow Leopard, which i was for years since it was running fine, the Virus behaved the exact same.

• are you using the analogue outs of the virus or the USB audio routed back through VC?
    (or SPDIF, in which case this will never work :))

distorted or no sound, but seeing midi data, seem to be likely to do with a sample rate mismatch between the Virus and the Mac.
    (though this would not explain the virus not found)

I assume you have your virus set to 'auto' for sample rate? (this means with usb it will follow the mac clock wherever that is derived from, probably your RME)

if your using your fireface as the audio interface, trying switch the sample rate back and forth when you have the problem next,
    and see if that cures it.
    I have an occasional issue with my focusrite where sometimes i initially don't get audio from the virus, and if i switch from 44 to 48 to 44 it works.

(btw, i really would stay with 44khz, until you have worked out the source of the problem... then of course you can try 48khz once you have it working properly)

good luck

• Many thanks for all the advice!

Don't worry, the 'Virus not found screen' just appears inevitably after i manually switch off the Virus in order to force a restart.

Source = Auto // Frequency = Synced to Host

Yes, when you said try at 44.100 i switched it on Ableton, which automatically changed the Fireface to 44.100 also, but the Virus remained quiet ..
    i then restarted the Virus a couple times, then Ableton as well as the Virus ..

Will take your advice to heart however and leave everything on 44.100 until the issue is resolved!

I am using the USB audio through VC .. was looking to use the audio in the future, including inputs in the future, but for the moment all my 28 Inputs are already in use so until i find an affordable solution to get more inputs i was fine only using the signal routed back..

Would you recommend using the analogue outs anyways? I thought there was no difference since the virus is only virtual analogue, but if it has any other advantages i am keen to hear about them!

• Id definitely try the analogue outputs - as this will tell you for certain if its the usb audio giving you problems, or the midi output to the TI.
    it doesnt sound like the latter, as you are 'seeing the sound' in VC.

the other interesting 'experiment' is when it is not working, plug some headphones into the Virus as see if its working there.

also... have you tried on different midi channels? if its not working on channel 1 try on channel 2 (the reason to test this, is there are two DSPs one usually deals with odd channels, the other even)

( I assume you have tried different USB cables)

if you have a midi keyboard, Id also try to use the TI 'standalone' , to test it works properly without a computer.

yes, the Virus does sound a bit different (I think better) through the analogue outputs, because it goes through the Virus DAC (and then back through your audio interfaces ADC).
    try it, and see which you prefer :)

of course, I would also email support, they will walk through your setup and get you up and running

• for those having issues with 48k on Mac, we have a new version in in-house testing which addresses the problem. if everything goes to plan, we will have a new public beta once the test cycle will be completed. Fergyb123 - i don't know if this version addresses all the problem you are facing, in any case, please work with access support on your issues.
    thanks, marc

• I have the same problem. It just makes too loud noise... it would sound nice if I turn the patch volume down. Several restarts help.

I have problems in Logic Pro 9 when it runs in 64bit mode. When in 32 bit mode it works fine.

• Sorry Taavi i am not sure here, maybe you should also contact access support directly?

Marc  thetechnobear

my issue seems to be solved without support after all!

- as of working in 44.100 Hz the Virus seems to be extremely stable and opens reliably ..
    some other problems seem to be fixed as well ..
    i reckon back in the day when i was running 44.100 i must have had a different problem, more to do with my old laptop..

it all works perfectly now, still looking forward to the upgrade to 48.000 compatibility :)

Thanks again!

Adrian

• for those having issues with 48k on Mac, we have a new version in in-house testing which addresses the problem. if everything goes to plan, we will have a new public beta once the test cycle will be completed.
    thanks, marc

Do you have an update on this?

Id really like to go back to 48khz, as I have some other hardware that runs at 48khz and using 44.1khz is causing cpu spikes in its software due to it having to resample from 44 to 48khz!
    (if I get the Virus back to 48khz, my whole system can run at 48 again :) )

• My TI won't work even at 44.100Hz.
    It's directly connected to my MAC PRO Usb port.
    OS 5.08
    DAW Ableton Live

OSX 10.9.4

When i open the TI Plugin, the keyboard become irresponsive. The TI work as a module if i play another MIDI Keyboard as a controller.
    For making it work with my DAW i need to open the plugin, put virus in standby and the on again.
    Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
    Very annoying.
    Got a reply from support about a fix that are working on.
    Someone has some more info? Seems a very common problem

• Having the same issue with my kC now. The pitch is badly off and sounds majorly sour. As far as 44.1 vs. 48, I'm at 44.1 and this did not change when the pitch decided to wank out.

On my keyboard there is no Config menu, though there is a Master Tune in the System settings. I tried the "Master Tune at -63" trick and many of the other suggestions here, pitch is still off. The only thing I can think of is that I remember using the keyboard Pitch Bend wheel sometime before the pitch fell apart, but this shouldn't have changed the entire tuning of the instrument by itself, no? (The wheel is not stuck, either...)

Running Mac OSX Mavericks 10.9.5 (this is not new either... none of it is) on a 2014 iMac, using Ableton Live 9 with Virus as an external instrument. Virus is running OS 5.5.

Guess I'll go make some non-Virus music for now. :P Grateful in advance for any advice.

• This is exactly the same problem I have with my Virus TI2 and it doesn't seem to be a fix for it. I've tried everything I can think of and I've been in contact with the support at Access. No solution yet.

I've had my Virus for about 1½ month now I still haven't been able to use it for more than 30 minutes before it crashes and sometimes I won't even get it to work again until I've restarted my computer and restarted the VST plugin like fifty times (I'm exaggerating now). So I've been like "fuck it, I'll just use Serum or Massive instead". Yeah, I know.

At this point I have mine for sale because I can't use it and I also warn people from buying it if they're running Ableton and OSX. Which is sad because when I've been able to actually work with it, it has been absolutely amazing.

• robertgustafsson -

sorry it didn't work out for you. i took a look at the open ticket you have with support and there, you don't mention crashes at all. also, you last reply was something along the lines of "That seems to do the trick. There are still some weird hiccups going on but at least I’m now able to play the keys with no sustained notes at all."
    is there a second ticket i should look at?
    marc

• i don't understand your post. you're using the virus as an external instrument and, is it really a Virus C Keyboard? what does this has to do with this thread? maybe you want to contact support by email instead.
    best, marc

• robertgustafsson -

sorry it didn't work out for you. i took a look at the open ticket you have with support and there, you don't mention crashes at all. also, you last reply was something along the lines of "That seems to do the trick. There are still some weird hiccups going on but at least I’m now able to play the keys with no sustained notes at all."
    is there a second ticket i should look at?
    marc

No, it was my only ticket.

And yes, I thought it worked but it only did so for a while and then it started crashing all the time and I didn't bother making another ticket since it seems to be a common problem from what I've read in a lot of threads, not just here but in various forums.

• And yes, I thought it worked but it only did so for a while and then it started crashing all the time and I didn't bother making another ticket since it seems to be a common problem from what I've read in a lot of threads, not just here but in various forums.

crashes are not a common problem. any crash we will happily look into.
    marc

• I have the same problem with the pitch going all weird on me and it also seems to be high passed after starting the virus and hitting a few notes, i can't seem to find a solution to this problem, all was fine up until recently but nothing has changed. Like people have previously said it really kills your vibe and is very frustrating