Is a Virus right for me?

• I've been listening to a lot of samples from the internets trying to get a feel for the Virus.

I'm wanting to buy an analog/VA to start doing stuff along the lines of early '80s disco funk... Rick James, SOS Band , Gap Band, etc...

However, most everything... well, everything seems to be focused on trance & other edm genres. Cool & inspiring sounds no doubt, but not exactly what I'm looking for. My primary interest is in the bass, this one in particular ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytKVso-v0UE ), but I'd also like to get some of the other sounds as well.

Can the Virus do the bass from "Don't stop the music"

I've thought about getting a Moog, or a Prophet... but that Virus is a sexy beast.

• ive had mine for ages now, and i have to write all custom sounds as i dont use many of the EDM styled presets of which 99% are geared towards that. havent found anyone whos made a useful soundset that shows off its power in other areas, but thats just me.
    i found the Nord A1r which ive had since release, much easier to coax into a sound you actually need and a lot of the preset work and free banks are nice and diverse, not just suited to one main genre which the Virus is.

• can you design your own sounds? or do you rely on presets? The virus is more than capable of making those sounds

• The Virus is an extremely capable synth and can be programmed to make just about any sound imaginable. If you are familiar with subtractive synthesis, it is actually pretty easy to edit one of the thousands of presets into a sound you can use for your purposes. The Category selector will allow you to listen to all the Bass sounds. You can start with something close and tweak it to be what you want.

I agree that a lot of the presets are geared for the particular genre that Virus can excel at, but, trust me, it can do just about anything. You just need to get into the guts and program the thing.

-dj

Nord Stage 2
    Access Virus Ti2 Polar
    Sequential Prophet 6
    Korg WS-AD
    Korg TR-Rack
    Roland XV-5050

• I agree that a lot of the presets are geared for the particular genre that Virus can excel at, but, trust me, it can do just about anything. You just need to get into the guts and program the thing.

-dj

Well I am digging a lot of what I've been able to find on the internet... while I'm not into trance/dance/edm I feel like I could use some of those sounds. However, I'd really hate if I got it home & found out it's not very good at doing what I primarily want it for, know what I mean? So far, the guys doing what I want are mainly using sample/synthesis type boards, like the Motif.

None of those synths, that I've heard yet have that aggressive sound I'm loving from the Virus, but like I said, that wasn't what I originally set out looking for.

I should probably get both huh?

• I found this snipet in the manual for the Virus A:

So if I were to select a triangle wave, would turning the shape pot from the left to the right would the wave then "morph" from a triangle to a sawtooth, or would it revert back to a sine wave adding the additional harmonics till it gets to a sawtooth? (Does that make sense?)

• The TI takes some getting into, as there is so much to it. as others have said its tricky to find non edm focused patches, but not hard to make them yourself.

only get one synth at a time, so you can really learn that one, then you will know what (if anything) else you need - the TI (and i guess Motif) want (and deserve) your focussed attention :)

in classic mode, if you select the spectral wave as triangle, and then the wave shape pot will indeed morph between triangle to saw. (i.e. it morphs between the selected spectral wave and saw (and then onto saw - pulse)

• However, I'd really hate if I got it home & found out it's not very good at doing what I primarily want it for, know what I mean? So far, the guys doing what I want are mainly using sample/synthesis type boards, like the Motif.

True, the Virus is definitely a synth all the way, no Rompler features like a Motif or Kronos, but it was designed as such. If you go through the presets, though, you will see that there are a number of sounds in there that are really amazing synthesized versions of organs, electric pianos, strings, etc.

The Virus is a monster, but definitely not for everyone.

Have fun-

-dj

Nord Stage 2
    Access Virus Ti2 Polar
    Sequential Prophet 6
    Korg WS-AD
    Korg TR-Rack
    Roland XV-5050

• Ha! That P-funk sound is right up my alley. The Virus "Moog filter emulation" is your friend in this case (filter 1). When overdriven it can produce those meaty squelchy basses. Just like with a Moog, a resonating lowpass sweeping down on a swatooth played in monophonic mode with a touch of portamento - the stuff that will keep me on my feet all night long.

• The virus is a fine synth.. but it doesn't do everything..

Acoustic instruments and drums are better on rompler (sample/synthesis) architectures.. and if you are going to get both, I would suggest the Motif XF6 and a Virus Ti2 rack.. The motif has a solid keybed and would make a good controller.

Well I am digging a lot of what I've been able to find on the internet... while I'm not into trance/dance/edm I feel like I could use some of those sounds. However, I'd really hate if I got it home & found out it's not very good at doing what I primarily want it for, know what I mean? So far, the guys doing what I want are mainly using sample/synthesis type boards, like the Motif.

None of those synths, that I've heard yet have that aggressive sound I'm loving from the Virus, but like I said, that wasn't what I originally set out looking for.

I should probably get both huh?

• The virus is a fine synth.. but it doesn't do everything..

Acoustic instruments and drums are better on rompler (sample/synthesis) architectures.. and if you are going to get both, I would suggest the Motif XF6 and a Virus Ti2 rack.. The motif has a solid keybed and would make a good controller.

Yeah, I'm not expecting it to do "everything" I'm looking for something to do a particular thing & that's to emulate the synths from the '80s disco era; Prophet-5, Jupiter-8, Juno-60, MiniMoog, etc... As I stated earlier, I have not had any luck finding examples of the Virus doing that on the internet, or any where. Most people playing those sounds (on the internet) are doing it with Romplers or Computers.

I don't want to use a computer.

Truth be told, I want a Prophet-5 or a Juno-60 (with midi), but that ain't going to happen, so I'm looking for the next best thing.

Maybe I'll get a Juno-106.

• Say... I want to take the time to commend Access on their ever so excellent user's manuals.

I'm not new to synthesis per se... I'm familiar with the theory, I've got a subscription to SoundonSound, used to have a subscription to Keyboard. I understand the basics, but I've never done much sound design. Other than adjusting effects on a rompler, I haven't really done any "hands on" tweaking.

I read the owner's manual for the Virus... & the explanation of sound, synthesis, & the step by step (with pictures) was probably the best concise explanation I've ever read. The explanation of the controls, parameters, their affect on the sound coming from the instrument... perfect. I wasn't able to put my hands on an original Virus, but I feel if I'm ever so lucky, I'll be able to whip up just about any tone I want, or relatively close within a few minutes.

I went on to read the manual of another synth, then another... boring. Like reading a dictionary. There's absolutely nothing in the way the other manuals are written to remind you why you're reading it in the first place. Very sterile... "Feature, parameter, value... next feature, parameter, value... this button adjusts this parameter, that knob adjusts that parameter... blah, blah, blah." I have no idea how that feature effects the sound of the instrument or how it's related to what I want to do."

I make my way to the manual for the Virus B (presently their all on the table)... Even though I had recently read the Virus manual, I had no problem getting through the Virus B manual. It didn't say, this is different from the old one, or this is increased from last time... instead it was, "You want to make a sound, this is how you do it... then this will get you that, that will get you this, & viola, you have the sound you want." All the new features laid out as part of the story.

Another thing, I like the introduction, "Congratulations, you just bought the baddest MF synth in the world" I'm paraphrasing.

Another manufacturer was so crass to say, "We're not going to tell you how to make sound, we assume you already know if you're buying our product, but in the event you're not truly elite, use google." Paraphrasing again.

Anyway, Kudos to Access, if you're reading this. I'm looking forward to diving into the Virus C manual tonight.

• I'm finally ready to pick up a Virus TI2 Desktop, and I'm really having some last minute cold feet. Lately I've been really fixated on the DSI Prophet 12 Module. The only reason I haven't fallen for it completely is because of the total integration the virus has.

I will be using this synth for EVERYTHING. Primarily it will be for video game sound effect design and soundtracking. I've been using software up to this point, and what I've noticed is that while I can get software to pretty much do anything, it always seems to be lacking something. I've noticed that the Prophet 12 and newly released Pro 2 have a real warmth and vibrance that I just don't really hear in the Virus. The Virus by comparison can sound very robotic. (Which is not a bad thing, I actually really like that, just not if it's a quality that is constant regardless of the settings.)

But because I'm getting this as a compliment to my software setup, integration with the DAW is important.

My question is, can the Virus TI2 create sounds that are vibrant, fat, and warm? (I know your impression of those descriptions may vary...)

I find the few sounds in this introduction video of the Prophet 12 module as a good example of what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szoXrBufhBE

The only other question I have (which may expose my ignorance), which synth offers more programability. (As far as how much the sounds can be manipulated.) I would think the Virus, but I haven't really been exposed to the TI in person, or seen it used in any real detail.

Thanks for any and all comments.

• But because I'm getting this as a compliment to my software setup, integration with the DAW is important.

I don't own either, so I really can't say. But imo, the Total integration isn't a big deal for me. I've got my audio interface & I'm not looking for another one. Far as I can tell, your DAW will only let you select one at a time anyway. As far as the plug-in goes, SoundTower offers one for the P12, may not work as well as the TI I really can't say.... but if it does what they say it should do, it should be fine. I haven't heard any complaints from Prophet owners, like I've heard TI owners complain about TI.