VIRUS b Bank of Moog Slim Phatty Style Patches

• I have uploaded a system exclusive file, see link below, of 100 slim phatty style patches and 27 of my favourite little phatty style patches.

Although the architecture of a Virus b is not the same as a Moog Slim Phatty these patches are useful for composing multiple parts on a multi track sequencer and the Virus needs no EQ on the desk to get a perfect mix. Earth shaking real Moogs can get a little muddy in the mix. I use these Virus patches while I am waiting for my Moogs to warm up and get in tune.

SYSEX
    https://drive.google.com/file/…NWFp0R3c/edit?usp=sharing

MIDI https://drive.google.com/file/…EanJ5eEE/edit?usp=sharing

After transferring the patches you may need to change patch number on the Virus to update the Virus panel.

• Many Sequencers/DAW have a menu option to Load, View, Send system exclusive files.but some do not. I have uploaded a MIDI playable file and added the link into the original message.
    I don't know what these patches will sound like on Snow. From the Snow CONFIG button you can select which pair of Snow banks to receive Virus b bank. MIDI Dump RX: Receive Dump: "The Virus automatically recognizes the type of data appearing at its MIDI input. Apart from the Snow, all Viruses so far had banks each holding 128 patches. To maintain compatibility, the Snow uses 2 banks of each 64 patches to load a Bank Dump. Use Virus Control and the Virus Control Center to overwrite specific patches, banks or ROM locations."

• Slim Phatty style patches only activate the LFO modulations by operating the Mod Wheel. Sometimes it vibratos the pitch or the pulse width other patches apply filter cutoff, noise etc. patch 79 ModVoxBass gives didgeridoo tones from the Mod Wheel.

These patches are all set to mono but you can change the Key Mode on your Virus to Poly to have a polyphonic Moog. Control change control number 94 value 0...from midi keyboard to a Virus b

Reverb is setup for a large Hall sound by turning up the Reverb Effect Send, Cc control number 113 min value 0 max value 127 from midi keyboard slider to a Virus b. The Delay is preset to clock 1/4 with a long feedback

• I purchased an Access Virus b brand new 14years ago; it does everything I want and it has never gone wrong (not a crackle, not a glitch, not a wobbly knob, nor a faulty switch, nothing, ever...), and that is why I know nothing about newer models.

I can only quote the TI manual below...although you have probably already read your own manual.

EXTRACTS FROM: Virus TI Series:Parameter Reference Manual
    Config Menu Parameters: This menu is opened by pressing the CONFIG button to the left of the display.
    MIDI Dump RX: Receive Dump: The Virus automatically recognizes the type of data appearing at its MIDI input.
    Whenever individual programs are received, they will appear in the Edit Buffer (see glossary), and must be explicitly stored.
    The following options only apply when receiving entire bank:.
    Apart from the Snow, all Viruses so far had banks each holding 128 patches.
    To maintain compatibility,the Snow uses 2 banks of each 64 patches to load a Bank Dump.
    Use Virus Control and the Virus Control Center to overwrite specific patches, banks or ROM locations.
    Enable Bank data (128 sounds) will be stored to the Bank from which it was originally dumped, regardless of which bank is currently selected.
    Force To Bank A+B Bank data is always stored in bank A and B
    Force To Bank C+D Bank data is always stored in bank C and D
    etc...

Then simply play the midi file or send the system exclusive file;
    over the correct midi device output and midi channel from a computer or simply;
    over the correct midi channel from a hardware midi sequencer like an Akai MPC or whatever
    Not that system commands are specific to a midi channel...but to make sure something gets sent out to the midi system at all.

On the old Virus b I have to change patch number to update the Virus panel.

• Hi I have a question. Don't think anyone will respond on this site, but its worth a shot. Looking at Slim phatty and was wondering. Will I need another sound card? Says here 2 Outputs / No Input: This mode offers two stereo outputs (one main output and one auxiliary output). Also, the Virus doubles as a stereo input/output sound card.

So all I need to do is hook up SP into the virus and I will get sound into Ableton? Right now only using Virus ti snow with one set of studio monitors.

• YES !

Ok I don't have a TI Snow but I pretty much do that with an old Virus b - Its usually a drum machine that I run thru my old Virus b inputs. Obviously I don't have the USB audio feature that is found on modern Virus synths like yours...

NOTE: On some laptops when you plug a second piece of outboard into USB2.0 it can get a bit buzzy in the background...kinda depends on your USB / Power Supply earthing / isolation...I have one laptop that buzzes and one that doesnt buzz, none of my desktop top PCs buzz...

Virus TI Snow Brochure:
    2 outputs (@ +4dB) , backed by 192 Khz/24bit D/A converters, with soft-limiting. Two inputs with 24-bit A/D... USB is used for...audio transmission (adding 3 addition stereo audio outputs) and works at 12Mb/s.

So YES you could:
    1) plug a Slim Phatty mono line output (there is also a Slim Phatty stereo headphone output) into one of the two Virus inputs:
    2) assign the Input Select, ...I guess to Left if you plugged into the Left jack
    3) set the Input Thru Volume ...I guess fully open at 127 and
    4) set the Sensitivity ...I guess to somewhere between -10db and -3db

Virus TI Snow Manual:
    Input Select; Left, L+R, Right: Signal from the left, both or right inputs.
    Input Thru 0 to 127: The level of external signal sent directly to output 1.
    Sensitivity +16 dBV .. -16 dBV: Select sensitivity to suit different external audio sources.

• Hi,

I found this solution here:

Works easy and greatly.

Thanks for the great sound patches.

• Appears to be a MIDI overrun issue, because MIDI USB Devices might send too quick. Also WIN USB issues can take place. I have some interfaces here, driven by the LAPTOP and hardly can achieve the bandwidth, possible with the particular device. When I drive my gear (also Virus) indireclty via my fast midi swich there is no problem, neither with data nor SYSEX.

• Cool, thanks!

Are those close recreations of actual SP and LP patches, or are they mainly "in the style of".

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+