No MIDI connection (MacOS 10.9.5, Virus 5.1.0.0)

• Since the update to 5.1.0.0 my Virus TI2 Polar does not establish a MIDI connection to my iMac (MacOS 10.9.5). The display says „USB connection established“ but I don’t see the USB icon.
    The Virus shows up as Audio device (I never use it as Audio device) but no MIDI!
    The Virus Control Center shows „Status OK“ but when I open the Virus TI plug in it says „MIDI driver failed“.
    I already uninstalled and reinstalled the Virus TI Software Suite, no MIDI!
    The Virus is connected to a Belkin USB Hub with no other devices connected.
    Before the 5.1.0.0 I had no problems with MIDI on my Virus.
    What am I doing wrong?
    What’s the problem?

Thanks,
    Florian

• I got it to work using the midi driver from the 5.0.8 package.

You can download it here:

http://www.worldstudios.se/VirusTIMIDIDriver.plugin.zip

Or find it deep inside the installer package v 5.0.8, where I found it.

Replace the newer one in Library/Audio/Midi drivers

I had to do it twice. Once for deleting thew old one (or whatever) and the second time for putting it there..

I have not tested it fully, but it seems to work at least so far in ProTools and it shows up in AudioMidiSetup, of course. Moderators could/should delete this post if there are any issues, or I will if I run into any problems.

• @WorldStudios
    i was close to remove the link but there is not much harm in replacing the MIDI driver right now. what's the exact setup (platform, host versions, etc.) you experience this on? could you please write an email to support att. marc and send me all the details?

@everybody else: if you really know you way around OSX, you might want to try this and report your findings. if you don't, please don't mess with the folders and content in question.

thank!
    m

• Hi, Marc!

I did submit my findings to the support. I am on OS 10.9.5, as I wrote above. Latest version of protools, but that doesn't matter, since the new driver did not make the virus appear in the Audio/midi setup...

I have a Mac Pro, latest/last version with PCI, 2012 6x3.33.

Feel free to email me, if you like. johan at worldstudios dot se

• I had no issues with 5.1.0, of course could be a whole host of possibilities, but obvious ones are:
    I'm on 10.9.4 not 10.9.5
    I upgraded from 5.0.7 (not 5.0.8) though I did uninstall 5.0.7, before upgrading to 5.1.0, as instructed.

• I have exactly the same problem on my setup; iMac core i5, OSX 10.9.5, Logic X 10.0.7 and the Virus TI keyboard.

• I got it to work using the midi driver from the 5.0.8 package.You can download it here:http://www.worldstudios.se/VirusTIMIDIDriver.plugin.zipOr find it deep inside the installer package v 5.0.8, where I found it.Replace the newer one in Library/Audio/Midi driversI had to do it twice. Once for deleting thew old one (or whatever) and the second time for putting it there..I have not tested it fully, but it seems to work at least so far in ProTools and it shows up in AudioMidiSetup, of course. Moderators could/should delete this post if there are any issues, or I will if I run into any problems.

Hello again!
    I have tried WorldStudios solution and it seems to work just fine!
    I also tried to do a complete uninstall of the Virus TI software, including the MIDI driver but it didn't solve the problem at all.

• I got this from Access Support:

Did you manually delete the Virus Midi driver already after you uninstalled the Virus Ti Software? I would definitely try this and also repair disk permissions on your Mac with the "disk utility" program to see if this helps as well.

I tried it and it did not work.

I have another issue as well... The System audio i/o resets to Virus USB every time I restart. This did not happen to me before this update. :(

• I am currently suffering the same issue,

'Midi Driver failed'

uninstalling software+ midi driver/ reinstalling software has not worked for me.. different usb port, and through a power hub hasn't helped me..
    only ever use my virus over USB, so although the analogue i/o's work fine, its not what I need ><

Since updating to 10.9.5, my computer runs fine, all USB devices work completely normally... except for my Virus TI2 desktop.

I got a bit excited when I saw WorldStudios comment about using an older legacy MIDI driver, however I tried this and it has not worked for me. I am still faced with the same issue.

I have had my TI2 for around 4 years and I use it for everything.

Hack Pro
    Z87X-UD7 TH MotherboardIntel Core i7 4.29GHz
    I know it can work like a dream on this machine it been working amazingly for the past 6 months.. but something has changed in the update which has messed it up!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Joe

• ...I got a bit excited when I saw WorldStudios comment about using an older legacy MIDI driver, however I tried this and it has not worked for me. I am still faced with the same issue.

Try to delete the current MIDI driver and replace it with the 5.0.8 driver that WorldStudios provided. Then restart the computer, that got it working for me!

• I have noticed that the MIDI driver you provided is driver version 1.7.0.0, which is the one included in both the Virus 5.0.8.00 and 5.1.0.0 updates.. it seems strange how this is solving some peoples issues when it appears to be the exact same MIDI driver. unless the name hasn't changed but the actual driver has in some way?

• ...I have noticed that the MIDI driver you provided is driver version 1.7.0.0, which is the one included in both the Virus 5.0.8.00 and 5.1.0.0 updates.. it seems strange how this is solving some peoples issues when it appears to be the exact same MIDI driver. unless the name hasn't changed but the actual driver has in some way?

I noticed that too; however, it is only the driver provided with the 5.0.8 package tha seem to work...

• Try to delete the current MIDI driver and replace it with the 5.0.8 driver that WorldStudios provided. Then restart the computer, that got it working for me!

Hi Loghill, I have deleted the new MIDI driver and replaced it with the 5.0.8, like you and WorldStudios have suggested AND then making sure to restart...however I am strangely still stuck with the same issue.... :cursing: