Recommended USB hub

• sorry, I know this comes up a lot… but id like to create a definitive thread, so I will hopefully add some value here.

Requirement: we need to use a USB hub with multiple transaction translators (MTT), most hubs use a single (STT)

Specific usb hub products:
    Plugable usb2-hub-ag7 - http://plugable.com/products/usb2-hub-ag7 (untested, but is MTT)
    Manhattan 7-Port USB 2.0 Ultra Hub - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0035LXOPY
    (I know there is talk about a belkin 7 port with mtt, but don't know its model number, and if its a current model… or if the replacement still is MTT.)

USB chipsets supporting MTT
    Terminus Technology FE1.1s & 2.1 Chipsets
    Gensyslogic (a few, not not all, check website for list) - http://www.genesyslogic.com/en/product_list.php?1st=3&2nd=10

USB chipsets NOT supporting MTT - i.e STT. don't buy!
    VIA VL812 - http://www.via-labs.com/en/products/vl812/#blkdiagram

if anyones has a hub, they know is MTT then I will list it here, or if you know other chipset which do have MTT
    (im not going to list all hubs/chipsets that don't have MTT, ive only listed the VL812 as its pretty common)

• I bought a Manhattan : http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0035LXOPY
    and then later a Pluggable usb2.0 10 : http://plugable.com/products/usb2-hub10c2

both appear to work fine with the Virus (both are MTT), but I will say I rarely use VC, and often just use midi + audio cables.

The pluggable is very nice, Ive had no issues with. I got the USB 2.0, as I believe the 3.0 are NOT MTT.

The Manhattan, I think I have a faulty one, 4 of the ports (on the left hand side) are fine, but the 3 (on the right side) I have issues with, seems like a fault connection... its not a big issue for me, as I use these to just provide power to a couple of devices, but if I needed more ports Id be upset!

• all the belkin seven port hubs i've seen so far feature MTT.
    marc

So Marc, what is Access recommendation for a usb hub working with Intel i7 chipset?
    Please be specific.

• So Marc, what is Access recommendation for a usb hub working with Intel i7 chipset?
    Please be specific.

it is difficult to be really specific because hub manufacturers do change the hardware used on those hubs frequently, even though the hub looks the same from outside. we usually recommend the 7-port belkin hubs, i've never seen one which wasn't working so far.
    marc

• Well thanks Marc, will a Hub solve the latency problems or is it just for the general purpose of being able to use the TI Software at all?

• @mofi heres some background into why MTT hubs are important : http://www.tomshardware.com/re…usb-technology,677-3.html

you'll note its been an issue with USB hubs for a long time (2003), the issue is, recently, apple and pc manufactures have started using internal usb hubs, and these like external hubs tend not to be MTT, this means when connecting multiple 1.1 devices, your not getting the required throughput on any of them, as its shared.
    this will mean high throughput devices like the Virus (but not exclusively, e.g. usb 1.1 audio interfaces/webcams) suffer as hub cannot buffer the data required.

the fault really lies with the motherboards, which should give full 1.1 bandwidth, but the manufactures have assumed everyone has moved to usb 2.0 (or even 3.0) or has few 1.x devices.

so in answer..

Id assume VC would work BUT you will get sync issues, and audio artefacts if the USB traffic is running a system which shares a TT with multiple UBS 1.x devices,
    (but this technical 'working' might not be your definition of working :) )
    also remember this is will affect any USB work with the virus, i.e. USB midi and audio, not just VC.

as such its not really latency, 12mbps is ample to cover both midi and the digital audio used by the Virus... but if your system is having issues with buffer overruns/sync etc, then you might perceive this as latency... but that would be a symptom rather than the cause.

so you either :
    a) need to know your PC/Mac architecture and know what USB hubs are in use and their spec, and ensure that the Virus is not put on any (internal or external) hub that has not got MTT.

b) use a MTT hub, and ensure you plug all USB 1.x (including the Virus) into it *
    (one MTT hub should be sufficient, as USB 2.0 (480mbps) can cope with 10-20 USB 1.1 devices (12mbps))

as for which hubs are MTT, what I did was look up on the manufactures website, and/or contact them... and being specific about the model,
    as Marc said, the hub manufactures change the specs pretty frequently and often do not say explicitly if they use MTTs or not, so best to check.

• Thanks for this detailed post, but unfortunately, none of your answered is a solution to mine or all the other people here having problems. I for myself have no issues with buffer overrun, I just bought a new 6 core system with meanwhile 32 GB Ram. I'm running multiple Instances of Kontakt and many GB of sample libraries with not any latency or choke. But I wasn't even able to install the VC because I have no USB 2.0 port anymore on my motherboard. And as we all have latency issues with the Virus since day one of TI, my question was simply, will a hub help me installing the VC or will it finally solve the latency issue.

• Thanks for this detailed post, but unfortunately, none of your answered is a solution to mine or all the other people here having problems. I for myself have no issues with buffer overrun, I just bought a new 6 core system with meanwhile 32 GB Ram. I'm running multiple Instances of Kontakt and many GB of sample libraries with not any latency or choke. But I wasn't even able to install the VC because I have no USB 2.0 port anymore on my motherboard. And as we all have latency issues with the Virus since day one of TI, my question was simply, will a hub help me installing the VC or will it finally solve the latency issue.

please contact support by email if you believe that you posts are not taken seriously. i cannot answer your question with an easy yes or no. you don't even say if you have a mac or pc. and it doesn't matter, if you have an USB2 or USB3 port, assuming that it works correctly (which is not the case when you have an old firmware on your motherboard - assuming that you run windows). see, it is not that easy. you also need to be specific on which latency issue you're taking about.
    marc

• Sorry, you and me are chatting, well not anymore, about the same topic in another thread here.
    Maybe you are being so rude because you are tired of having to deal with people's problems, which are quite a few in the last couple of months I guess. Well, you chose your job.

I've more than once not only stated all my specs, but contacted the support, and maybe you remember, the only answere I got was to buy a hub. So here I am, again, in the thread about USB hubs for the Virus TI problem and all you do is being an arrogant mod.
    Do you even take the time to read what the people are writing, or is it just the standard "email the support".
    I'm done, thanks, I'm pinpointing this thread including you and your answeres throughout this forum in all other musical related forums, I'm active in. You are already known for your arrogance, but this is just ridiculous.
    Way to treat your customers...

• all the belkin seven port hubs i've seen so far feature MTT.
    marc

Replying to an old thread, seems things have changed, Just chimmed in nevertheless...

Ordered this Belkin 7 port USB 2 hub...

https://www.belkin.com/uk/p/P-F5U701/

same result with Win 10 home, Virus not recognized.

as a side-note, it seems Belkin is not interested in MTT USB hubs anymore :(

Belkin USB Hubs Frequently Asked Questions

2. Do Belkin USB Hubs support Multi-TT?
    No. Belkin USB Hubs do not support Multi-TT.

• Sorry, you and me are chatting, well not anymore, about the same topic in another thread here.
    Maybe you are being so rude because you are tired of having to deal with people's problems, which are quite a few in the last couple of months I guess. Well, you chose your job.

I've more than once not only stated all my specs, but contacted the support, and maybe you remember, the only answere I got was to buy a hub. So here I am, again, in the thread about USB hubs for the Virus TI problem and all you do is being an arrogant mod.
    Do you even take the time to read what the people are writing, or is it just the standard "email the support".
    I'm done, thanks, I'm pinpointing this thread including you and your answeres throughout this forum in all other musical related forums, I'm active in. You are already known for your arrogance, but this is just ridiculous.
    Way to treat your customers...

do you have a free usb-c port?

Virus TI2, Prologue 16, Summit, Triton, Modwave, Pro-3, MidiGAL, SQ-1, Midi Trigger Audiowerkstatt, Komplete Kontrol 49, UAD Apollo x6/PCI-E/TwinX, Yanaha HS7 and HS8S, AKG C3000, MacMini 2018 i7 1GB/64Ram, MacBookAir 2017, iPad Pro 2017, Nektar Impact 25, LogicPro, a lot of plugins…