Virus C Original Patches for A/B Bank Question . . .

• Hi Everyone, I recently purchased a used Virus C and did a factory reset holding LFO/MOD "Select" and "Shape" buttons while powering up. The unit reset fine.

However, banks A and B which are RAM banks and can be overwritten have duplicate patches also found on the C and D Banks which are Flash Rom.

Bank A is identical to Bank C and Bank B is identical to bank D.

My question is- Where do I find the patches that I see Access Music originally came out with for Virus C users that contain the following patches for Bank A:

A-000 OvertureCK
    A-001 Dr.What?HS
    A-002 EPStage?M@
    A-003 Dyson++ BC
    A-004 Impact MS
    A-005 TheDome HS
    A-006 Moon PadJS

. . . and so on

And the following patches for bank B:

B-000 8Bit EraDM
    B-001 543 Seq RP
    B-002 ABC-1 RP
    B-003 AccyBassRP
    B-004 Adrenalin1
    B-005 Adrenalin2
    B-006 Arpeggia
    B-007 Arpegiator

. . . and so on

I can't seem to find them anywhere and I don't know which Soundset on the Access site
    for download contains them but it sure would be nice to have a fresh new set of sounds
    that I think originally belong to the Virus C . . . .

Thank you

• Hi there.

Have you tried the "ABM.MID" file that comes with the operating system package?

You can find it under: Downloads => Discontinued Products => Operating Systems => Virus C Series OS6.5 English
    The ZIP file contains a folder "Goodies" with the "ABM.MID" that holds all preset sounds as stated in the readme file:
    "ABM.mid readme
    ABM.mid contains the factory settings of bank A, B and the multi bank. Installing this file will result in loosing all user presets.
    Copyright 2001 Access Music Eletronics"

Should be worth a try :)

Best regards.

• Well, I was able to download the ABM.MID file but when I open it in Cubase 7.5 it opens in 3 separate MIDI Clips over 2 tracks
    I was under the impression that it should all be on a single track.

When I set the Virus C to the" 1 MIDI DUMP RX Verify" mode and play the file
    I get a "VERIFY ERROR bad data" message immediately on the display of the Virus C.

Track 1 contains a SysEx message clip in the List Editor called SMF:Copyright starting at the beginning bar at 1.1.1.0 (Bars and Beats)
    Track 2 contains a SysEx message clip in the List Editor called SMF:MIDI Channel at 1.1.1.0
    and another one called right under it in the List Editor for Track 2 called SMF:Instrument also at 1.1.1.0

Should there be 3 SysEx events occurring at the same time?

Track 1 contains a very short MIDI clip and the track is named Bank A, Bank B and Multi Bank. (Which doesn't do anything when played by itself)

Track 2 Contains a MIDI clip 59 measures long since I set my tempo to 40 bpm and is named "Grand Piano" (strange)
    and Track 2 also contains another clip after that one that's 7 measures long that stores the Multis and actually works
    via the "verify" dump screen.

After the Multis loaded and I hit store they were not anywhere to be found, all that was there were the previous few Multis.

I've read the Virus manual and my Cubase 7.5 manual a lot about doing the dump like turning off MIDI Clock Option/ Slowing Tempo to 40-60 BPM, etc.

I guess I'll have to write up a Support Ticket . . .
    WTINP

• I don't know what OS you are running.

But in case of Windows it could be worth a try using MIDIOX for transferring the patches to your Virus.
    I'm not sure if you need to set the Virus to "STORE" mode when loading patches but this should be easy to find out just by trying :)

• Well I figured out what was going on . . .

I thought I'd post this in case anyone out there ever has problems like this years from now
    and finds this helpful.

In "Verify" mode my Virus C always seems to give the "VERIFY ERROR bad data" message immediately on the display.
    When I switched to "1 MIDI Dump RX 'Enable'" instead of "Verify" it worked.
    I decided to use a different soundset- Manuel Schleis soundset volume 3 - Incubation. It contained data on only one track,
    so I was able to eliminate the 2 tracks issue/simultaneous data clips in question.

Once the transmission was finished I just stopped Cubase from playing and checked the Virus to see what was on it.
    Amazingly it had the patches Manuel Schleis programmed. So I decided to try to install the original ones I wanted
    from Access Music- the "ABM.MID" file that comes with the operating system package and now I have everything
    loaded and done.

Thanks a lot root2 for your suggestions and interest . . .

P.S. To answer your earlier question I am running OS 6.5 5/11/03
    and Cubase 7.5 is running on Windows 7.
    I checked out the Midox site you mentioned. I have always wanted to get the VST-AU Virus Editor on eBay since I first saw it
    so I think I will use that now that I know I have a fully operational Virus Synth Module.

Thanks again . . . hope this can help someone out there one day

WTINP

• Following on from this thread I too am trying to do the same thing in getting banks A and B into my Virus snow. Unfortunately Im having no joy whatsoever placing the .mid file in user presets to make them appear as per all other patches which always work. Whats different for these particular patches? Why is the Snow not recognising them?

Any help appreciated in 2022!!!

• Following on from this thread I too am trying to do the same thing in getting banks A and B into my Virus snow. Unfortunately Im having no joy whatsoever placing the .mid file in user presets to make them appear as per all other patches which always work. Whats different for these particular patches? Why is the Snow not recognising them?

Any help appreciated in 2022!!!

Did you get anywhere with this? I have the same problem.