More of a hardware feature I think...

• Having used various synths over the years I have come to realize how far it has come. I remember the tender beginnings with a Poly 800 and moving on up from that. I recently got my Virus Snow and I absolutely love the machine. Having used it now for a couple of months I have but one request that would make the machine even more spectacular:

Instead of using dials with end points (like a normal volume knob) it would be much better (more expensive) to use an infinite dial like I have on some of my Yamaha synths (possible patented technology that would make it even more expensive.)

The reason why it would be good is that (at least this is how I think "sound scaping" wise) it would be a differential and not a absolute approach when dealing with patch parameters. With the differential approach one doesn't have to remember where the parameter was at to minimize the wrong sound being produced while overdubbing automation for instance.

Maybe there are already hardware solutions for this to buy but with the mobility of the snow and the small amount of dials on it would definitely make a difference. Granted on the big Desktop et.al. it would cost a lot more to have all dials like that but maybe five would do there too?

• You are one of the first people I ever see preferring endless rotary encoders to knobs :) Anyway I don't think there is any kit to do that as it should be both a hardware and software mod, as the TIOS is made to work with TI's knobs. There are ways to change your knobs' response on your Virus anyway, so you should check them out:
    Press CONFIG/Remote untill you see "Knob Behavior" and change the "Response" value with your Soft knob 1 or value +/-. You should find "Snap" and "Rel" suit most of your needs, whilst not being exactly the same as you want.

• You are one of the first people I ever see preferring endless rotary encoders to knobs :)

In some instances I find them useful. Not always. But in this case when needing to use one unit with one set of knobs and jumping back and forth between sounds it is a bit problematic to say the least.

Press CONFIG/Remote untill you see "Knob Behavior" and change the "Response" value with your Soft knob 1 or value +/-.

AH! Thank you kindly! Rel is indeed exactly what I want.

• You are one of the first people I ever see preferring endless rotary encoders to knobs :)

The fact is that if you change a patch absolute pots are never in place... this is especially annoying with the three performance value knobs.

Because some sections on the virus front panel like oscillator and filters have "pages" the absolute pots are never in place even during editing via the "great" analogue imitating hardware control surface...

I personally end up with thinking a plain TI module without any operation surface just controlled by the TI software would be sufficient for most people - at least I prefer using the TI control software whenever possible... and the absolute pots are definitely one point reducing the fun twiddling knobs a lot...

The only solution I see is endless knobs with led rings - at least for the 3 performance value knobs - which would make the unit arrive in 21th century...

8|

• I do not dislike endless rotary encoders, I actually enjoy them on my uQ, I was just stating that I found his statement a bit strange :)
    I can see why one would want them on a Virus, but I find myself confortable with the different behavior modes of the pots on it.

• PIckup mode FTW.

I wouldn't mind endless encoders for the 3 value knobs under the display, but all the other knobs I definitely prefer 'normal' knobs.