Virus TI 2 + iMac 5k = Useless

• I recently got one of the new 5k iMacs, the problem is that i get the below message no matter what USB port i plug my virus into.

"BRCM20702 Hub" sharing the same USB root hub with the Virus TI has been detected. This is a potential problem and might cause sync errors and audible artefacts when using Total Integration. Try to solve the problem by using another USB port instead"

I have no devices whatsoever plugged into the iMacs USB ports other than the Virus... and yet i still have this message appear in Logic every single time. Clicking rescan does nothing and if ignore the Virus doesn't work properly and i hear lots of strange audio artefacts and glitches coming through Logic. My keyboard and mouse connect via bluetooth, not sure if this has anything to do with anything but thought id mention it regardless.

This is pretty ridiculous and i can't really see any possible solution to it. Access haven't been very helpful either, i've tried contacting them 3 times over the past 2 weeks and haven't had a single response yet.

Very unimpressed

• Exatcly my case too: bought a new MacBook pro and no luck with Virus, no matter what usb port I use. Same old scheisse: error message, sync and latency issues. It's there even if Virus is only device connected.

• Sorry to hear that. I have a feeling from reading other threads with similar (but not identical) problems that there is no fix and that the only way you can enjoy the TI properly is to not use USB at all and revert to the old days of midi and audio outs... thus rendering the Virus Control functionality worthless, which is pretty stupid given the synths whole premise is built around this.

Access's lack of response to my emails does't fill with confidence either, i get the feeling this is a problem which cannot be fixed.

Looks like i have a rather expensive paper weight now

• please check your SPAM filter. we do answer to mails. as for the warning, it means that the virus is connected to a USB hub INSIDE your mac. you should have a look at the USB layout of your mac and see which port suits best. you also should use a MTT hub in between the virus and your mac if you run into problems like described above.
    read up on all that in the Virus TI setup guide and reply with your ticket numbers - we'll resent our replies to you.
    best, marc

• What to do if I get this error message and all these issues in any USB port of my MacBook Pro 2015? Does this MTT hub solve the issue and if yes, how does this actually help?

sorry, i'm repeating myself over and over again. don't get this the wrong way but either read the setup guide or search the forum for more info. i can't guarantee you that a hub will help because i cannot analyze your problem with the little info i have. but from what you write i'd assume that the right hub would do good. that's why i recommended it in my last post.
    thanks, marc

• I'm having the same problems, I keep having to restart the virus, or restart ableton. Either way, It's getting a lot of drops, the more I search for a solution, the more pissed off I get.. so far.. unfortunately, there's no real answer, and real fix. I've updated everything... the only thing I haven't tried is a powered USB hub. Let's see what happens.

• Same problem with my 2008 mac pro 3.1. and guess what: i bought a belkin mtt hub and still got sync errors and still losing midi-connection.
    And just in case someone is lurking around saying my set up is fundamentally wrong, sorry i just did a fresh install, using an apogee firewire interface and have audio only plug ins (izotope, waves, soundtoys, sugar bytes, etc) installed.
    I'm running a studio since the early 90ies and definately do know what i do.
    Time for access to bring something to the table!

• Same problems here (OSX 10.10, Cubase 8pro), everthing updated, powered MTT-Hub (private TI2-Slot):

lost MIDI-connection, sync-errors, audio via usb almost impossible, glitches, drop-outs.

Sometimes i can work over hours without any problem, other times i need to perfom a TI2-hard-reset (with disconnecting power and usb). From time to time shutting down Cubase and restart it helps, sometimes i need to reboot my mac.

I love the TI-Sound, but its 'integration' is a pure desaster.

I really do not understand Access's policy in blaming the users setup for these problems. And just to be mentioned: my Maschine (NI) works without any
    problems even in multiple instances - and audio over usb(!). Maybe it would be a good idea to ask their engineers for help, or call evrery synth back to factory to perfom some hardware modifications (usb interface :P ).

PS.: Don't know what's going on with the TI-prices at Sweetwater - but the list of ebay's second hand TI's grows continuesly from week to week.

• @Marc Surely by now Access should be aware that all Macs made post 2010 generally have one software based internal USB hub which covers the physical USB ports and several other devices(iSight camera, internal keyboard on MacBookPro etc). The real question is: What has Access done to address this?

@moosed I had the same error message on my new 2014 iMac. I was able to get around this by telling Logic not to repeat the message. I don't have any clicks or glitches however myself. Try using the second from the right USB port ( when looking at the back of your iMac).

Indulgence gets us friends, but truth gets us hatred.

OB-6, Polivoks, Polivoks Pro, Virus TI x2, Waldorf M, MS-20, MS2000, Radias, Minilogue, Minitaur, Argon8, Erebus, Alpha Juno 2, TR-8S, Xio 49, Ultranova, Microfreak,

• Marc Surely by now Access should be aware that all Macs made post 2010 generally have one software based internal USB hub which covers the physical USB ports and several other devices(iSight camera, internal keyboard on MacBookPro etc). The real question is: What has Access done to address this?

we will remove the error message. it is confusing. to share some details: the error message is supposed to be smart enough to recognize the internal root hubs used by apple and only show up if the hub in question is not one of those. but apple sometimes uses hubs which the algorithm fails to recognize and therefore shows the error, even when there is nothing a user can do about it.
    here's some additional background why there is an error message at all: hubs add latency in a specific way and should be avoided. there was a time when hub free setups were standard but that has changed in the recent time.
    marc

• I really do not understand Access's policy in blaming the users setup for these problems. And just to be mentioned: my Maschine (NI) works without any
    problems even in multiple instances - and audio over usb(!). Maybe it would be a good idea to ask their engineers for help, or call evrery synth back to factory to perfom some hardware modifications (usb interface ).

in which way does Maschine pass on audio over USB? maschine runs inside your computer, the hardware controller is a controller and as far as i can see, there are no audio inputs or outputs. at least not on my maschine ...
    marc

• you are right, Marc, please excuse me!

I'm sure you agree with me, that Maschine produces a lot of traffic on the usb-busses - imo similar to the virus without its audio signals.
    Right, these are totally different devives - but i.e. Maschine runs flawlessly in syncing to other decives, daw-integretion and midi-control,
    even in multiple instances. It aquires the same issues on usb as the TI if connected on low-budget hubs or cables. But its tolerance for that is very much higher. So i assume that there is somthing fundamental wrong in the TI's usb-setup.

Let me say, that my Yamaha MOX6 uses audio over usb - highly complicated setup, but it works. The only reason i do not use this way is protecting the usb-bandwith in my setup. I can imagine, that the audio trafic causes problems in syncing, even on a MTT-Hub.

The TI2 is my main-keyboard in my rig, i use it i.e. to play on the Analog Four and the Monomaschine - and (crazy enough) to trigger the pro2-sequencer.
    As i wrote before, i like its endless possibilites of sound creating and its wonderful sounds indeed.

But:

The issues on 'total intigration' that let users spent much more time on searching for problems in their setup than spending time for making music is mainly the responsibility of Access Music. You are definetly not alone with these problems (guess that Overbridge suffers the same *vbg*). The mainstream here is calm and awaits your friendly support - but it's not very friendly to read about the same issues over and over and nothing changes.

ok, your latest OS (beta, out for months!) gave some imporvements. But still it has the same problems.

I would appreciate a reliable connectivity on a high end synthesizer, nothing more, nothing less.

Please let us know what your plans will be to get rid of the problems.

musically
    DiPi

• you are right, Marc, please excuse me!

I'm sure you agree with me, that Maschine produces a lot of traffic on the usb-busses - imo similar to the virus without its audio signals.
    Right, these are totally different devives - but i.e. Maschine runs flawlessly in syncing to other decives, daw-integretion and midi-control,
    even in multiple instances. It aquires the same issues on usb as the TI if connected on low-budget hubs or cables. But its tolerance for that is very much higher. So i assume that there is somthing fundamental wrong in the TI's usb-setup.

maschine does not require or generate a lot of bandwidth and in many ways the bandwidth required is not of a timing critical nature. but it deals better with modern USB topologies in comparison to the virus - UNLESS you use a MTT hub in between the virus and your computer. once the hub is in between, situations are avoided where the virus suddenly shares one 12mbit lane with other devices.

without any doubt the more complex a USB setup becomes, the more critical is the right port balancing and eventually even computer hardware used. in your case, there is a significant amount of timing critical devices connected. this is certainly more taxing than the average setup but doable in my opinion.

from your point view it will not matter which device behaves nicely and which device jams the bus. they all should play together. i would expect the same. but comparing the performance is not that easy. with the virus, you will hear glitches (caused by the virus or not) instantly, with maschine for instance, you will not realize that there was a temporary bottleneck situation on the USB bus that easily.
    hth, marc
    ps. the thing you mention about maschine instances is wrong. those are plug-in instances talking to _one_ hardware. this does not influence the load on USB

• I know! I know! If you want the virus to behave flawlessly like Maschine, turn it into a software program and make the virus hardware into a simple USB controller!

just kidding.

• There are some work arounds:
    Kannex Released a Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 Adapter.
    http://www.kanex.com/article/thunderbolt-adapters

Maybe Access would be so kind and test as well certificate this piece of hardware for us in the interest of all customers, according to ISO 9001 and Quality Management Aspects.
    It should be in the interest of Access to have this properly tested, because it will avoid additional service hours on the forum, if it does work as expected.
    If it does work, it's maybe the interface we need in future for your product as a replacement for USB. (Engineering departement should check)

Ableton live users may grab the Virus C controller, which works on Virus Ti2 also. Connect via MIDI and Midi Interface of your soundcard. Not the best way, but you can use the Virus in time between.
    http://www.maxforlive.com/libr…access-virus-c-controller

Kind Regards,
    Olaf

• Yep - I've just got a 2013 MacPro and my Virus won't work as a sound-card or plug-in without static distortion every few seconds.

I've contacted Access support and they reckon it works OK on their Mac Pro.

I've tried using my Belkin 4 port MTT hub, with no luck.

I've tried every combination possible with USB connections.

I'm on the latest Yosemite, the 5.1.1 beta and the latest Cubase 8 Pro and Live 9.

Virus works OK on my 2011 MacBook Pro. I've done a fair few gigs with that combi.

So - I'd say there's an incompatibility with Virus Ti and the newer USB 3 ports and internal hubs.

I think Access need to take a deeper look at this.

• which driver are you using (bit accurate or core audio) and what are the buffer settings? see, we don't "reckon" it works. it works here and we happily take a deeper look but unless we can replicate the issue, there is not much to look at.
    marc

• I'm using the 5.1.1 beta (as I already said above). Both bit accurate and core audio fail in the same way. I've tried all buffer settings from minimum to maximum. I get the same issue if I use an RME device for audio and Virus purely for its plug-in.

When I say "reckon", I'm not implying anything. No need to get defensive. I'm saying that I'm told that you have it working at Access. I'm not saying that I don't believe you.

I'm working with your support guy to try and get to the root of the problem.

I'm a professional software engineer myself, and understand how lack of reproducibility hinders investigation, but there do appear to be more than a few people with similar problems.