Virus TI 2 + iMac 5k = Useless

• Another interesting quirk.

If I have my Cubase dongle connected on my Belkin (MTT) hub at the same time as Virus, the Cubase dongle stops being recognised. Somehow, the Virus is killing it.

It's like Virus is sucking all the band-width or something...?

Same happens if I have both plugged in directly to the Mac.

• If I have my Cubase dongle connected on my Belkin (MTT) hub at the same time as Virus, the Cubase dongle stops being recognised. Somehow, the Virus is killing it.

you need to have nothing beside the virus on the MTT hub in order to get a benefit. what you do there makes the virus share 12mbit with the CP key and therefore get less bandwidth assigned than needed. even worse, the bandwidth is only missing when cubase talks to the CP key.
    marc

• Yep - I understand the MTT thing. Theoretically, the MTT hub will translate the 12MBit to USB2.0 speeds. However, I thought the whole point of MTT is that it will effectively translate each device separately to USB2?

I'll give it another try tonight.

So, to be clear Marc - you have Virus Ti connected to a 2013 (cylinder) Mac Pro? You're on OSX 10.10.3?

You have Virus connected to an MTT hub, with nothing else on that hub?

Where does the 7 port Belkin hub you mentioned elsewhere come into the equation? Do you just have the Virus connected to a 7 port Belkin, with 6 ports free?

I guess if Virus is going to be the only thing connected to that hub, I'll have to buy another Belkin MTT hub...? I have a fair bit of kit which ultimately needs connecting to USB.

• By the way, this is my hub:

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F5U234/

In theory, it is MTT, but maybe it actually isn't? That would potentially explain the problems I'm seeing.

Edit: I'm reading that later revisions of that hub (REV:2.4) are properly MTT, but older versions aren't.

That might explain it!

edit2: my hub is Rev 3, which should be MTT.

Edit3: so, I've tried Virus into my hub on its own. It won't connect at all via the hub.

With purely virus into the Mac, nothing else at all - I can get the sound-card output to work. As soon as I start the plug-in, I get ticks every few seconds or so.

I decided to shift from 44.1KHz to 48KHz on Ableton (reason being is that Ableton doesn't need the Cubase dongle). That cured the tick, but introduced another distortion. It sounds very much like the Virus clock isn't properly synchronising with the Mac. I've heard almost identical from my Kronos over USB if the clock isn't synched.

So, seems there's some sample conversion issue going on in there too maybe, which may be confusing things.

The only solution I can now think of, is to buy a Thunderbolt to USB dongle (Kanex?), but that's quite expensive just to get the Virus going. I'm not even completely sure it would work given the strange clock-sync issue.

Back to being a MIDI module for now then I guess. :(

Edit4: I'll add that I've just tried my 2011 MacBook Pro, which also has OSX10.10.3. Virus is working perfectly well on there.

• For others' interest, I've taken most of this off-line with Access support.

...but here's something others might find interesting:

For some reason, my Cubase dongle started throwing errors and refusing to talk to either Cubase or the license manager.

I disabled the Mac BlueTooth and so far, my dongle has been behaving.

It may be that on-board BlueTooth, which happens to be a 12mb device hung off the same USB chip, might be causing problems.

I’ll try Virus again with BlueTooth disabled when I get chance.

• Something which is worth mentioning, because I've fallen down this hole in my move from Windows to OSX.

It looks like on OSX, the Virus has to be powered up before the Mac.

On Windows, I could power up the Virus at any point before the DAW (Cubase or Ableton) is run.

If I power up the Virus first, I can usually get the plug-in to run, but with pops and clicks / distortion.

• i just bought a thunderbolt express dock (http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F4U085/) and the virus still have problems... i tested the Virus TI2 Desktop in two different mac computers and still not working correctly... u know i have to restart many many times and sometimes you can work with it... sooo i expended 300 dollars more in the dock and it didn't made the difference.

• I'm having the same similar issue with my 5K iMac.

Virus works when its the only thing plugged in via USB, but I cannot connect my USB audio interface into the back, even via a belkin 4 way powered hub????

You'd thing spending money on a top quality product, this stuff should work of the bat.....