Does Anyone have a perfectly working Virus TI setup?

• If there is anyone that actually has a stable setup (For more than 6 months) Please post your hardware/software configuration below.

(I have a Virus TI, brand new iMac with OSX 10.9.5, Cubase 7.5. Virus was working basically OK, apart from an annoying latency that gets worse the more tracks I have in my projects, then after I installed 5.1.1 beta, it all went horribly wrong - after multiple uninstalls, re-installs of 5.0.8 - my iMac no longer recognises the Virus. It is totally mystifying, as I have the exact same (cloned drive) on a macbook pro - and on there it IS recognised!??? Driving me NUUUUUTS )
    :cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

• After 24 hours of reinstalling madness... i finally tried the beta 5.1.1 again and deleted some patches for the SNOW and VIRUS TI 2 and now it works again. (Although it still crashes when using complex automation sometimes)

• Zitat

If there is anyone that actually has a stable setup (For more than 6 months) Please post your hardware/software configuration below.

windows 7 PRO 64 bit
    sonar X2 64 bit
    virus TI polar
    RME UCX

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL

• Windows 7 64 bit
    Cubase 5 (Don't think it's 64 bit set up)
    Virus TI Using VC but not audio outs.
    Firestudio Project...
    Phenom II Black 3.4 x4
    GA-790XTA-UD4

12 USB 2 ports AMD SB750 Southbridge
    2 USB 3/2 ports according to the block diagram these go via the NEC direct to the Northbridge but I'm guessing when USB2 is plugged it detects and sends it to the Southbridge. (edit: I believe now that this still goes through the NEC chip). There isn't 14 USB ports including the headers inside.

Note: the motherboard doesn't pair up the USB2 ports as you'd expect, it was pretty random. Most motherboards are probably the same.

It has 5 open host HCD and 7 root hubs in devices. 1,2,3,4 has 3 ports available each, 5 has 2 ports (USB3?) and 6,7 has 6 each. I drew a lil map showing me which port, with which USB type plugged in went through what open host and root hub... It really was all way over my head. I did this by plugging in only 1 device and seeing where it showed up! Making lots of notes!!! I was lucky to discover 1 rear port was paired with the headers inside, so that is marked as my VIRUS TI only port!!!

I rarely get problems. Although I've broke my middle C and I've had to disconnect the pitch wheel. When I get problems it seems to be because of loading order between my interface and TI, or changing latency. Once I've reset there's no problems and I get a full day/night with out issues. I'm not really going to town on automation these days to push this beast to be 100% sure!

If any one wants to send me a Cubase file with all the patches etc. I'd be happy to see if I can do a mix down via my set up with out any clicks or sync issues. I have FL but it's not me who uses it and we never really tried to get the Virus to work.

Edit: I tell a lie, if I load a project up and press play before the virus has loaded and not from the beginning I usually have to stop and start the project a few times before it's in sync. All good for the session once in sync.

I spent some time setting up this motherboard before setting up the audio on it. On the forum I was recommended (from one of the main boys) against doing RAID as it would be unstable and would keep dropping a drive. Needles to say the RAID has never let me down. Another note about Phenom II if you get super fast ram you can't clock the ram to that speed, well you can but you risk damaging the memory controller? in the CPU. Best to clock it down and tighten the timings. I have 12800 but at 10666.

• I have 2 working systems and one not working. I usually run Cubase 8 Pro or Ableton Live 9.

Working well (apart from the usual arpeggiator timing issues):

Windows 8.1 64 bit on a self-built PC, with an Intel QX9650, Asus motherboard (can't remember specific model). Using 3x RME Multifaces for 24 analogue ins and normally 1 stereo pair of analogue outs. This has been my main system for at least 5 years.

A 2011 13" Macbook Pro with an i7. OSX 10.10.3. Virus works as sound-card and plug-in. Used it many times for gigs as a sound-card and synth (not plug-in in that scenario). It has 2x USB 2.0 ports.

Not working well - distortion and pops/clicks:

A 2013 Mac Pro running OSX 10.10.3. Nothing else plugged into the system apart from the Virus. Wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse on Bluetooth, although have also used a USB keyboard and mouse. Plugging Virus in anywhere (hub or directly) causes the Cubase dongle to fail. RME Fireface UC is working fine on USB. Will at some point buy a Thunderbolt enclosure and move my Multifaces onto this new system. Seems USB3.0 doesn't efficiently deal with Virus' USB somehow. May have to try a Kanex Thunderbolt to USB adapter.

• 2014 iMac running Logic 9 - runs about as close to perfect as I could hope. I don't even think I've had a skip or pop. I do have some other issues thought but they don't affect performance.

Setup is as follows:

Virus is plugged in directly to USB ports on the back. a Belkin USB Hub handles my eLicenser, Novation Remote, CME Bitstream, Korg Radias, Line 6 POD and Novation Ultranova.

The issues I do have:

Virus always goes into USB mode when my Mac is switched on and to play it standalone I have to disconnect the USB Cable from it.

Powering on any of my other synths mentioned above while Logic is already running connected via USB will cause the Virus keys to stop sending MIDI on/off. It will respond to the other devices Midi ON/OFF though and the knobs still respond.

Indulgence gets us friends, but truth gets us hatred.

OB-6, Polivoks, Polivoks Pro, Virus TI x2, Waldorf M, MS-20, MS2000, Radias, Minilogue, Minitaur, Argon8, Erebus, Alpha Juno 2, TR-8S, Xio 49, Ultranova, Microfreak,

• -MOBO: Asus P6T Deluxe v2 (onboard audio disabled)
    -Belkin PCI to USB2 card f5u220v3 dedicated to the Virus
    -Sound Cards: MOTU Ultralite Hybrid mk3 (connected by Firewire) + MOTU Microlite Midi interface
    -Software: Windows 8.1 64 bit + Cubase 8 64 bit
    -P0lar TI2 with latest OS & VC 5.1.1 with 3 usb stereo outs + analogs (generally 1 stereo & 4 monos) routed to my soundcard.

Works fine. Well, sometimes arps go a little out of synch but a stop & go is enought to obtain normal behaviour again
    Sometimes Cubase freezes but don't know if it's related to the Virus or some other plugin, anyway it's a rare event, I see this maybe once in a week...overall, considered the large amount of tracks and Virus ABUSE it is working quite good and stable.
    Previously the exact same setup had MacOSX Mavericks instead of Windows (it was an hackintosh) and worked exactly in the same way.

-Windows 10 Pro 64bit DAW (Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero + i9-9900)

-Steinberg Cubase 10 + Steinberg CC121 Controller
    -Steinberg MR816 CSX + Behringer ADA8200
    -iConnectivity MIO10
    -Virus TI2 P0lar
    -Waldorf Pulse (1)
    -Waldorf Blofeld

-Yamaha AN1x
    -Yamaha Reface DX
    -Clavia Nord Modular G1 Expanded

-Moog Minitaur
    -Maschine MK3

-Elektron Octatrack MKII

-Adam A7X
    https://soundcloud.com/daksha

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Daksha ()

• I have a perfect working setup on my Windows machine, runs great,

but my MAC well lets just say it runs but not as smooth. i have to load up logic first before i switch on the virus or the virus is unplayable. yes it's on it's own hub etc,

But i can create patches play the virus with one instance no problem so i just bounce down in logic, this way i still can use my virus.

Studio one i use the freeze function this is a great tool, as you can delete the virus, so you can load up another instance of the virus.

• Mine, works fine for me...
    TI1 Keyboard 5.1.0 , MTT Hub, Mac OSX 10.9.5, Live/Logic.
    I tend to only use USB and analog outs, out of choice... rather than VC (which works ok too, but just I prefer to be hands on hardware)

The issues I do have:
    Virus always goes into USB mode when my Mac is switched on and to play it standalone I have to disconnect the USB Cable from it.

This is by design, as local is turned off, but you can turn it on again, without unplugging usb cable.
    (unlike midi ports which you have to unplug cable for, or route virus synth (in) to virus midi (out) using a daw)

Zitat von djantimatter

Powering on any of my other synths mentioned above while Logic is already running connected via USB will cause the Virus keys to stop sending MIDI on/off. It will respond to the other devices Midi ON/OFF though and the knobs still respond.

Does the Midi device disappear? ( check in audio/midi settings)
    if so, its possibly 'sleep' related, after waking from sleep, if you power up the TI it will work fine,
    but if you then power up any other USB device after the TI, then the TI midi device disappears.
    workarounds: power up TI last, or when it disappears re-scan midi, or power TI on/off.
    its a bit of a pain, since Live, sees it as a new device (Virus TI Synth #2) , so if you have tracks targeting Virus TI Synth, then they have to be change to the new device name.
    (Ive reproduced this with quite a few usb devices, and with direct connections/hubs etc)

• Mine, works fine for me...
    TI1 Keyboard 5.1.0 , MTT Hub, Mac OSX 10.9.5, Live/Logic.
    I tend to only use USB and analog outs, out of choice... rather than VC (which works ok too, but just I prefer to be hands on hardware)

Hmmm.. I'm on Mac 10.9.5 too and mine crashes Cubase whenever i do complex automation. Also if is on when i load a project it freezes. I have to turn it off and then load cubase, then switch it on. Overall it feels like a flaky fragile thing that I constantly need to be careful with. Really annoying.

• That's a GREAT laptop, to keep into consideration :thumbup:

-Windows 10 Pro 64bit DAW (Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero + i9-9900)

-Steinberg Cubase 10 + Steinberg CC121 Controller
    -Steinberg MR816 CSX + Behringer ADA8200
    -iConnectivity MIO10
    -Virus TI2 P0lar
    -Waldorf Pulse (1)
    -Waldorf Blofeld

-Yamaha AN1x
    -Yamaha Reface DX
    -Clavia Nord Modular G1 Expanded

-Moog Minitaur
    -Maschine MK3

-Elektron Octatrack MKII

-Adam A7X
    https://soundcloud.com/daksha

• djantimatter

Config > Local > On

That will avoid you having to unplug the USB cable.

Also, no problems here with my set up.

Original TI Keyboard, latest Virus Control, Mac OSx 10.10.5, 2.3GHz i5, 16GB, Logic Pro X

Mac OSX Yosemite

• Since my first post of May 9th, it is now November and I am STILL looking for solutions to get this damned thing to work properly.
    UNBELIEVABLE.
    I cannot believe that the people at ACCESS cannot simply respond to all the thousands of their customers that just want some kind of Sound-Diver / Library tool for the Virus TI.
    How many people have to ask before they will respond?
    It is a joke. The Virus Control VST has MAJOR PROBLEMS - it doesn't hold timing properly with complex ARPS, especially over a long time - which for me makes it USELESS.
    However when using it the old fashioned way with MIDI cables and using the SPDIF out - it works GREAT!
    PROBLEM - how the F**K am I meant to load and save my patches ? If I plug in the USB cable the SPDIF out gets disabled!
    So there is no way other than saving the patches into the internal memory - wowee - kinda reminds me of the Virus C - which costs maybe 3 times less!!!
    This TOTALLY SUCKS - and I feel ripped off.
    ACCESS should apologise for all the hassle they have caused thousands of people and release a goddam Librarian tool ASAP.