Does Anyone have a perfectly working Virus TI setup?

• I agree, it's frustrating when just removing the soundcard/audio streaming element from VC would help immensely (I say 'just', perhaps it's not that simple). Making VC a control-only VST would fix so many issues.

After recently installing Win 10 I thought I'd try plugging the USB in and seeing how it fared, but after half an hour VC decided to go haywire, spitting MIDI notes out at random. Nope -- back to MIDI and SPDIF for me.

• I tried the version on CTRLR, and for a while it worked well. CTRLR is a great program but It's still a bit wonky unfortunately. I tried to get the panel running with the latest version and couldn't. The previous version he built it with won't run on my system. Really the best option would be to have a VST/midi only version of the VC, it would solve so many issues. I wonder sometimes if any feedback gets back to the developers? Or possibly they did it as a contract through someone else and it isn't maintained much anymore?

• I have also a problem, my virus ti2 runs off beat slightly when playing chords (hypersaw with 3 voices and about 45% detuned) with 4 notes. Using it without usb (as full midi controlled). Connected to saffire pro 24. Tried different buffer sizes didn't much help. Any ideas? Oh yeah, using FL studio daw. (Also with usb and vst plugin its hell, sometimes virus just goes crazy and gives distorted sound)

• FIX FIX FIX!!! The Adventures of Mash!!! pt3 Mr Crackles the Return!!!

It's always a good excuse to celebrate once you've slain Mr Crackles... I feel like Gandalf returning from beating Balrog, seriously levelled up! new knowledge acquired and mastering of techniques.

My latest rebuild running W10, Cubase 8.5, upon loading my MR Crackles project (Crafted specifically and known for it's powers at conjuring the crackledy pop), sure enough there he was, in full force, as loud as before and more constant than ever. My previous port and fixes had failed me. It was a long night ahead, armed only with my test project and many assumptions.

Go here...Control Panel, System Security, Administrative Tools, System Information, Hardware Resources, Conflicts Sharing... and Oh dear, your problem should present itself. I've presumed for sometime, it's not just about USB sharing but IRQ sharing. (edit: or type System Information in the windows search bar).

For months in the build up to my upgrade I'd been reading about Cubase 8 and Graphics Cards issues, specifically nvidia (which I have). After making the above journey, you can imagine my shock to discover, IRQ 18, not only 3 USB Host controllers, some other hard drive raid thing but my graphics too. Yes my MB shares all 1.1 devices with this IRQ. I can imagine a Graphics Card being a lil bit on the problematic side when fighting against streaming audio, especially if drivers for it are already known for issues.

All was not lost, IRQ 16 shares 2 Standard Open Host USB controllers, IRQ 17 and 19 Enhanced Host. Want to know how to find this??? Go in Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus Controllers, click on each USB Host Controller, Resources tab (IRQ) yes the number in brackets. (edit: Also try.. Control Panel/View/Resources by type/Interrupt request (IRQ) scroll down)

Using the info from the System Information window, the IRQ number not sharing with another major PC component, you want to be plugged into a port, using a hub, that uses a host controller using that IRQ. Here's how, the simple fix!

Go in device manager after installing the Virus. Disable the Standard OpenHCD USB Host that has the IRQ number you require. If the Virus disappears, you're in the right port. If not, plug in a different port, go to View, select show hidden, reactivate the controller and continue. Once you've found the right port open up each USB Root Hub, Power tab, locate the 1 with the Virus, unplug any devices sharing. If you're running out of ports to plug things back in, their is likely another port the Virus can use on the same IRQ. A port that doesn't share with that hub (although in tests I could share the USB now it's IRQ was unique).

(Edit: If using a PCI card... this could still share in demand IRQ's, try a different slot. If using a 2.0 hub this will (I think) change the port to now use the Enhanced USB Host instead of standard, again using different IRQ's, potentially fixing one clash but opening another).*

I'm guessing that this is why sometimes hubs work for some and not for others, it all depends on MB. It seems that a USB port regardless to which it's coupled with, uses different internal routes. Also the same port may use a different IRQ, depending on type connected,1.1/2.0/3.0 etc. As 1.1 is not seen as demanding or important by MB designers, they're likely to share it with other major components.

A long post, yes, A long journey but for me so worth it... As I've said before, anyone with a Cubase project that crackles, send it over. I've tested this to the max, 16 part project, note stealing to hell, No Mr Crackles. Even armed with my test project I fail to conjure the wraith of snap, crackle and pop.

• * It's all down to your MB, how it handles it's internals. If all MB's were the same these problems wouldn't exist. One fix for 1 guy won't work on the next. It's up to each system to be tuned specifically.

I'm now using the USB3 port but as this is disabled in the Bios (the NEC drivers were problematic even before), the port is working as standard. It's on IRQ 16, only shares 2 Standard Open HCD. The HCD has 2 Hubs and multiple ports. Only having to change 1 of the 2 internally connected USB devices to give the Virus it's unique Hub (not that that device was causing issues).

And remember, a Test Project is an essential weapon against Mr Crackles. Quite often a time you think your tweaks have beaten him but no, you've merely pushed him into hiding, further underground and there he lurks waiting, waiting to unleash his snap, crackle and pop all over your beautifully crafted sound!!! I hope this is not one of them times.

• Wait up, hold your horses!!! I'm getting a new problem. I've not figured out why or what exactly yet... BUT! I've just bought Nexus and using this port when I play SQ, triggering the left hand loop, starts the sound/loop weird. When I go over to my other normal midi keyboard it's fine.The virus still plays in time, triggering normal notes fine but their's something funny about this port and the midi from the Virus going into it.

It's like each note when pressed is forcing a retrigger instead of flowing on (it's a SQ part) and grabbing a weird drum sound from the loop, playing it at the wrong pitch, a lot louder. The problem is unique to these ports and only starts to happen after a few loops of a freshly opened project. Haven't managed to undo it in a project yet. Simply pressing the notes on the other keyboard and it trigger Nexus as expected.

• Here is small demo about what i described.

Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Chords with 4 notes.

Also i bought midi i/o box, same result as with my soundcard saffire pro 24 midis. Any ideas?

• have you ha a look for the Virus display - should indicate a little "c" at the top left corner indicating that it´s receiving midi clock. This should solve the ptoblem.

http://www.waf80.de/virus/faq.html

die besten Wünsche - best regards

Clubfiller
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Win 7 64 - Cubase Pro 8 - Yamaha moxf 6 - access Virus TI - access Virus for PowerCore - Waldorf blofeld

• I'm on a Mac Pro, so can't really blame the motherboard for pops and crackles.

You can if they decided to share internal path ways with the USB 1.1. They wouldn't expect a 1.1 device to use as much band width and require such hardcore realtime streaming... In both directions, with other info mixed in too. Most devices would be 2.0 or even 3.0 now, these will have priority with in the architecture of the board. 1,1 will almost be over looked and just shoved anywhere it will work.

I'm tempted to say older models will likely have more 1.1 priority than newer ones.

• Thx for replying, Yes i found that it shows me C and a note when i play midi pattern. But it still offbeats :/

• here is what my virus ti desktop is showing in th upper right corner a "C" and a arrow to the left. pic

and here is - how it works for me.

I´ve connected the virus via usb

in your daw create a new instrument an sixteen midi channels, be sure to set the channels from 1 to 16

dont use the VST instrument itself. instead put your sequence / arp on one of the midi channels.

Dateien

die besten Wünsche - best regards

Clubfiller
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Win 7 64 - Cubase Pro 8 - Yamaha moxf 6 - access Virus TI - access Virus for PowerCore - Waldorf blofeld

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Clubfiller ()

• Hey John!
    Where i should execute
    Config > Local > On
    Directly on the virus or in Mac?

Thanks 8o

Very sorry - I didn't seem to get the notification for this on email so have only just seen it here.

You do this on the Virus itself, press the config button to the left of the screen and scroll to the 'Local' setting which is Keyboard (1/5). Hope this is not too late :)

Mac OSX Yosemite

• You can if they decided to share internal path ways with the USB 1.1. They wouldn't expect a 1.1 device to use as much band width and require such hardcore realtime streaming... In both directions, with other info mixed in too. Most devices would be 2.0 or even 3.0 now, these will have priority with in the architecture of the board. 1,1 will almost be over looked and just shoved anywhere it will work.

I'm tempted to say older models will likely have more 1.1 priority than newer ones.

Not what I meant. Mac's are effectively a known standard. If Virus Ti won't work with an off-the shelf, contemporary Mac, then Access have a problem.

We're not talking obscure PC motherboards from one of umpteen manufacturers, which makes it impossible for the likes of Access to test them all. You don't get a choice of motherboard, as such, with a Mac.

Even internal hubs will normally translate USB1.1 to the native highest spec. for the connection host facing bus. The worst you get, is all the USB1.1 devices on the hub being in contention with each other.

On my Mac Pro, I've now solved the pops and crackles by using an Elektron Overhub, which is fully MTT. The Sonnet Thunderbolt to USB3 adapter didn't work. I was getting pops and crackles on there. I now, essentially have a USB3 hub converting Virus' USB1.1 to USB3.

• Zitat

Not what I meant.

You totally mistook my point. I'm on about newer macs might not see 1.1 as important and easily handled so not giving it any form of priority. I'm surprised they even still have a USB port.

What came first your mac or the TI???

And, isn't it the other way round, you don't turn a 1.1 Virus in to a 3.0.

• USB3 is backwards compatible with USB1.1.

USB1.1 is translated to USB3 by the hub. It's down to the hub (and its firmware), not the Mac as such.

You don't turn the Virus into anything. The USB1.1 protocol is translated by the hub and everything is piped back to the host as USB3 (or USB2). Priorities are down to the firmware on the hub.

Interestingly, Marc and the Access guys told us some time ago, that the Virus USB chip is actually a USB2.0 device running at USB1.1 speeds. They just didn't have the processor grunt to host the full USB2 stack. ...and it wasn't necessary to achieve the requirements.

i do know a little about this stuff, although USB isn't my area of expertise. In my day job, I'm a principal engineer at one of the biggest consumer electronics companies. I could do some research and go into greater technical detail if you like? There's lots of info on this stuff on the Internet.

...but here are some useful diagrams, showing how hubs work in terms of translation. Bear in mind that hosts such as a Mac or PC have their own hubs on-board.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/…hnology,review-757-3.html