Does Anyone have a perfectly working Virus TI setup?

• it is USB2. only the part with the processor and therefore the processing is wrong. USB2 high speed audio support simply wasn't available at that time.

• Am I right in assuming that the part that does the USB _could_ be updated at the factory, but since it's a separate part isn't flashable from a normal OS update? Also then you would need to update the core OS version to deal with some USB2 devices and lots of USB 1.1 devices?

• Am I right in assuming that the part that does the USB _could_ be updated at the factory, but since it's a separate part isn't flashable from a normal OS update? Also then you would need to update the core OS version to deal with some USB2 devices and lots of USB 1.1 devices?

no. this is all happening on a chip and this chip is as it is.

• Zitat von ChrisCabbage

You don't turn the Virus into anything.

Remember when I said you totally mistook my point... You did again! although my understanding may still be wrong. But, that's besides this point I'm making now..

it was you that said you were turning the Virus 1.1 into 3.0. not me. When I said.

Zitat

you don't turn a 1.1 Virus in to a 3.0.

This is exactly what I meant. The virus stays 1.1. but I get what you mean.

• Actually, I didn't say that.

I said "essentially have a USB3 hub converting Virus' USB1.1 to USB3."

You may have missed the apostrophe after the "Virus". :)

The 1.1 stream comes out of the Virus and into the hub. The hub's translator converts it to USB 3.0 on the other side. Connection of a hub doesn't make the Virus' hardware transmit or receive USB3.0. I wasn't suggesting that it did.

So, the hub essentially converts the Virus' USB1.1 coming in one side, to USB3.0 on the other side.

• WIndows 7 Professional x64
    Fl Studio 12
    E-mu 0202usb
    Notebook with i5 3317u, 10gb ram
    Virus Ti2

It works pretty nice, almost all the time. Just sometimes my ti only lose synchronization when cpu goes to 90-100%.

• Hi to all ye frustrated Virus users,
    please read my signature first as it contains my studio setup information. It took me several frustrating weeks to get a finally satisfyingly working setup.
    As so many out there, I also was confronted with unacceptable sync issues in USB/TI mode - but not when connected over standard MIDI and audio in/out. I tried all the suggestions I found in this forum and elsewhere in the internet - nothing worked for me: cheap or expensive, short or long USB cables; powered USB-hubs, MTT capable USB-hubs, different USB ports, thunderbolt-USB3-adapters; disabling my beloved Soundflower.kext; different buffer and multi-threading settings within LogicPro. You get the picture?
    Up until now, I had one of my MotU thunderbolt audio interfaces as clock master within Audio-MIDI-setup. From the beginning on, Soundflower had to be drift corrected to stay in sync. Finally, I decided to try different settings within my aggregate audio device (cf. attached picture). Eureka: since I defined my Virus TI2 as clock master and drift correct my audio gear everything stays in sync.
    I hope this information helps - at least for Mac users.
    Cheers,
    Synthifan

• @synthifan -
    great that you got your setup working. let me just note for the record that the sync issues commonly reported have nothing to do with the sync feature in audio midi setup. sync in audio midi setup means that different sampling rates are converted to the master sampling rate in order to avoid drifting sample clocks. sync errors as for the virus are a totally different thing and those are usually caused by USB buffer underruns. those underruns are usually caused by issues related to USB communication.

• <a href="http://www.virus.info/forum/index.php/User/45218-synthifan/">@synthifan</a> -
    great that you got your setup working. let me just note for the record that the sync issues commonly reported have nothing to do with the sync feature in audio midi setup. sync in audio midi setup means that different sampling rates are…

Hi Marc,
    thanks for your techical details. There's a funny thing about Audio-MIDI-Setup: in the german localisation the function I mentioned is called "drift correction" whereas in the english localisation it seems to be "resample". IMHO: makes quite a difference, doesn't it? We all know what resampling means, but drift correction rather sounds in my ears like a "software implementation of word clocking different sub devices within an aggregate audio device".
    I stripped down my USB tree to keyboard, mouse, and Virus TI2 (on different ports, hubs) and still got frequent crackles - probably not a USB buffer problem then, rather an audio sync issue? As the crackles remotely sounded like former sync issues with Soundflower within my aggregate device I tried different settings for master clock and "drift correction" - and this did the job.
    So, I think quite a lot of people on Mac talk about USB related problems whereas they should focus on their aggregate audio device settings.
    Cheers,
    Urs

PS: it really would be helpful if people gave more details about their setup instead of just complaining Virus TI doesn't work...

• Hi Marc,
    thanks for your techical details. There's a funny thing about Audio-MIDI-Setup: in the german localisation the function I mentioned is called "drift correction" whereas in the english localisation it seems to be "resample". IMHO: makes quite a difference, doesn't it? We all know what resampling means, but drift correction rather sounds in my ears like a "software implementation of word clocking different sub devices within an aggregate audio device".
    I stripped down my USB tree to keyboard, mouse, and Virus TI2 (on different ports, hubs) and still got frequent crackles - probably not a USB buffer problem then, rather an audio sync issue? As the crackles remotely sounded like former sync issues with Soundflower within my aggregate device I tried different settings for master clock and "drift correction" - and this did the job.
    So, I think quite a lot of people on Mac talk about USB related problems whereas they should focus on their aggregate audio device settings.
    Cheers,
    Urs

resampling is nothing more than a drift correction (if you require it for that). technically it results in the same. and no, i disagree with you, device aggregation is not a general solution and focusing on that is a waste of time im most cases.

• Remember when i was waffling on about IRQs, well apparently we can priorities them.

https://www.petri.com/optimize…setup-jriver-media-center

Pay attention to the Configure USB and Audio Hardware section... Funny how this is non Virus related and they too are going on about not sharing hubs etc but this is the bit that interested me.

Zitat

You may later decide to add the IRQ of the USB controller that your DAC is connected to and assign it a priority of 2 for example, to give it priority over devices such as the graphics card.

I stumbled on this article fine tuning my laptop for VDJ and was like, ahhhhhhhhI I wonder. Unfortunately I ain't heard Mr. Crackless in a while to try this out (did i just say unfortunately, lol!). This gives us a step by step guide to priorities, something I didn't know possible til today.

The latest drivers for my graphics seem to be playing ball right now so not causing the conflict but it might be useful for others still struggling.

• Remember when i was waffling on about IRQs, well apparently we can priorities them.
    https://www.petri.com/optimize…setup-jriver-media-center

Thanks man ! I only re-checked all my computers irqs & moved some usb s***t around...now everything (included my FW soundcard) run really smoother! I've not edited the registry or disabled services, other smaller optimizations were already on my system.
    This is good infos, in particular for fast checking IRQs. I invite everyone with problems (in Win) to check this stuff...the less shared IRQs you have on sensible stuff, the better it is. Maybe Access could point to this doc. in the setup guide also...won't be bad!
    ____
    EDIT: I opened now the most heavy project I had and no more glitches-drops & stuff like that. Not only Virus related stuff I mean, also soundcard drops & co.
    @mitchiemasha : you did my day, thanks a lot!

-Windows 10 Pro 64bit DAW (Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero + i9-9900)

-Steinberg Cubase 10 + Steinberg CC121 Controller
    -Steinberg MR816 CSX + Behringer ADA8200
    -iConnectivity MIO10
    -Virus TI2 P0lar
    -Waldorf Pulse (1)
    -Waldorf Blofeld

-Yamaha AN1x
    -Yamaha Reface DX
    -Clavia Nord Modular G1 Expanded

-Moog Minitaur
    -Maschine MK3

-Elektron Octatrack MKII

-Adam A7X
    https://soundcloud.com/daksha

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Daksha ()

• Just to add my setup (below)
    I downloaded the new patch 5.1.3 and now everything works perfect - about time Access! but thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    iMac 27", Late 2013 - Running OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
    3.4GHz Intel Core i5 CPU
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
    1TB HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048MB GPU
    -
    M-Audio FastTrack Pro - Running 1.9.5
    Access Virus TI2 Desktop - Running 5.1.7.0
    NI Maschine MK2 - Running 2.6.9
    AKAI MPK25
    -
    Logic Pro 9.1.8

• Alright, i quit for while and now i'm back :D

Anyway, straight to the point. When i have unison off, it stays pretty much in beat. When i add 3. Starts off beating. (Compare yellow lines on the images below this post.) Well i don't usually use unison 8 but in this case just showing and results are fiasko.

AUDIO:
    https://soundcloud.com/siipimutu/vtivti

Virus is connected old fashioned way, midi i/o and audio output. No usb connected.

PC specs:

ASUS P8 Z68 VLX motherboard
    i5 2500k cpu
    16gb 1600mhz ram
    2x256gb ssd
    2tb hdd
    GF 970GTX

Saffire pro 24 firewire 400.

Now, the main question is. Is it virus ti side problem or something else? I've had this thing over 6 years and actually never got it work properly.

• googling around will show thousands and more, have usb problem since birth.
    access is pushing too much data through the usb - to do that, they "homebrewed" something in the usb protocol standard.
    the most know problem is the arpeggios runnign wild or cutting, unable to start, and several restarts are necessary to play the music youre working on, and when you stop, to create more, now.... it will flip up again - who can compose anything with sounds havin gto be reset from start of music ? nobody.

when i found out there is thousands, same problem, access just denied it, and wrote "we have 25 years of experience in making synths"..

well dooo... i have 30 in using computer and music..
    they denied the usb protocal is hacked - it is! they dont want to admit anything. when i wanted it fixed, they asked stupid question, and after writing 2 different technician, able and willing to pay for repair - it all ended in nothing... they stopped write back, and no "repair" was initiated.

i dig up the net, and some guys om gearslutz believe it is a logic chip that is faulty. i can understand this the electronics way: a logic chip, that has to do with the arps and maybe the usb, has a birth fault, it is unable to follow the bpm/speed of the oscillator system, whenever an arp is played - then it just exits, and retries - now you got the broken sound.

this could be correct... i dont know if they fixed the v2, i have v1.

i was told by my pro friend torben hansen, who makes a living from making presets, that running it total oldstyle midi, wihtout usb = no problems.

i can just write nothing, and say "the arpeggios are broken", nothing else, pay, send and hope, its fixed. if not - i dont think they care

• ofcourse, logically, using audio out, and work with huge wave files, works.
    but now... all that is smart is gone :(

how am i gonna set up all 16 voices, before continue on any worktune ? that takes 15 minutes ??

im not... sysex was over the day i stopped using the old roland jv80 :)