Snow versus TI desktop....

• Dear forum,

I own TI desktop and the snow.....I take the snow with me on my travels. I was the happiest imaginable user of TI......so please let me know all you out there...does anyone think that the Snow sounds similar to the TI..?? I made the mistake of downloading the beta version of the new driver for the Snow....I hated the condensed milk look of it....and I suddenly could find some of the sounds I used a lot. So...I uninstalled it. Bad mistake! It took my computer down with it....lost me three weeks for a total rebuild and cost hundreds. I am now VERY nervous about touching anything to do with that driver although I now have the full version (still hate the look of it). As of yesterday, my PC wouldn't boot up with the Snow plugged in not every time anyway.

So....my problems.

Slight but annoying latency

Sounds a bit rubbish frankly grainy, dull...I used to sit and play the TI just for enjoyment...not many boxes I'd do that with!

Sounds Kilometres better when just plugged via midi with the jack outs...still not as good as the TI though.

The fear that it's going to trash my whole setup again pervades my every working moment.

I have a lovely dear old Virus C as well...no trouble there, but missing some of my favourite presets...

Shall I give up on the Snow....??

Has anyone else had trouble since using the new driver....??

Richard

Does anyone agree with me that too many of the Virus patches are rather nasty and violent in intent....i.e. not enough beautiful sounds...???

• Personally, I love the nasty and violent sounds on the TI. It has plenty of soft pads too, and there are loads of free sound sets on the web or you can program your own if you want a different tone. The synth engine is better than anything else I have either owned or played with.

As for the Snow, I have never touched one so I can't compare notes.

• Hi,

first post here!
    Since I moved I hooked up mu Virus(B) Indigo again after way to long. I was a fond sounddiver user and still feel kind of disappointed that there is no way to do this (yes I know there is MidiQuest around)
    So I was thinking to either make my own editor (although I haven't got a clue how yet) or update my Virus.

I am resenting the fact that I would have to sell my Indigo, but I am grown accustomed to working with plugins in Logic so much that I really like the way the TI is supposed to work.
    So my questions are the following:
    1) is there a difference in sound between the snow and the tabletop TI? for example what does the second DSP actually do, is it polyphony only or does it really uses 2 DSP's to fatten the sound (because we all love fat sounds!)
    2) could I use my virus indigo as a controller for the snow, do the buttons and knobs of the B more or less relate to what is on the TI?

Best,

Pieter