Would you pay for Updates?

• Would you pay for Updates? 56

1. yes (8) 14%
    2. No (36) 64%
    3. Donation (12) 21%

I know Access has been one of the most generous companies who support the Virus development as no other company supports its synth for free.
    I was wondering after many free updates we get, and too many things we would like to have in the VC and Virus hardware itself, Hasnt access earned the right to fund their hard work and time to develop the virus with some minimal compensation?.
    IMHO, I would be very happy to pay a minimal amount just to show appreciation for the hard work they do and also to fund future development for the Virus Ti and get major updates sooner and better.
    anyone ...opinions?

• I would imagine everyone would if it meant the difference between no more updates or having to pay for them. I certainly wouldn't mind paying for some things that id like to see in the VC.

• Unless it added major functionality to the hardware (ala a sample loading option like the Blofeld) I'm afraid I'd have to vote no. Love Access, love the TI, but I already paid $3000k for a synth, I think that's support enough.

• Unless it added major functionality to the hardware (ala a sample loading option like the Blofeld) I'm afraid I'd have to vote no. Love Access, love the TI, but I already paid $3000k for a synth, I think that's support enough.

I guess you dont really see the point.... buying a hardware synth these days doesnt mean constant development and support for it.
    take a look at Roland, Yamaha, Korg , Akai or any other manufacture to compare and see how much effort Access puts towards the Virus Ti.
    We are used to paying for upgrades in the software world, and the Virus is a combination of software and hardware, its development takes time, effort and resources that I believe it should be somehow compensated.
    Even a donation would be appropriate, but I guess since Access never asked for $ to upgrade,a lot of people dont know the many hours of hard work major releases really involve.

• As one of the orginal beta testers of the C and first TI range, I'm very very much aware of how much work goes into these synths. In fact, so appreciative of that fact that I felt it was well worth the price I paid for the synth. But I also agree with your point about buying a hardware synth doesn't mean constant development. I bought the TI2 for it does NOW, and I'm very happy with that choice. Like I said, if they decided to add major functionality to the hardware then I might consider paying more after the fact. But I personally wouldn;t pay that for any Virus Control upgrades, as that whole aspect of the Virus is really not that important to me. If I wanted to program a synth via on screen controls, I would have gone with a much more flexible (and cheaper) softsynth like Zebra2 or Massive.

We al have our priorities in the tools we use to make music, I'm merely voicing my opinion that paying for an upgrade to Virus Control is not a priority for me. That's the great thing about polls everyone gets to vote what they want. ;)

• As one of the orginal beta testers of the C and first TI range, I'm very very much aware of how much work goes into these synths. In fact, so appreciative of that fact that I felt it was well worth the price I paid for the synth. But I also agree with your point about buying a hardware synth doesn't mean constant development. I bought the TI2 for it does NOW, and I'm very happy with that choice. Like I said, if they decided to add major functionality to the hardware then I might consider paying more after the fact. But I personally wouldn;t pay that for any Virus Control upgrades, as that whole aspect of the Virus is really not that important to me. If I wanted to program a synth via on screen controls, I would have gone with a much more flexible (and cheaper) softsynth like Zebra2 or Massive.

We al have our priorities in the tools we use to make music, I'm merely voicing my opinion that paying for an upgrade to Virus Control is not a priority for me. That's the great thing about polls everyone gets to vote what they want. ;)

I hear ya...but development isnt only for Vc, take in account the new Fx that have been added with the last major update.... but anyways, upgrades are usually a matter of wanting new functions and not necessities, hence the Poll I started.

• Betas no, the full release though I would. As in the likes of 3.0,4.0 etc the inbetween lil fixes should be free.

If we paid surely we would get more. They could also bring out different VC for different styles of use. Stripped back ones, heavy ones etc.

• I already paid for my updates when I bought the TI at full price in 2006.
    I also own 3 previous Access Virus models so I have definatly paid for my updates thanks.

• only if it is very minimum cost....
    i feel that access has an advantage over other companies because of the free updates...it is very attractive to prospective customers...and it keeps current users happy too....
    i dont think they should charge for the regular updates......but they could have some special features that could be sold apart from the upgrades....some really cool features....

i am very happy with the free updates,patches concept.....i cannot stand other companies like digidesign that make customers pay for every little additional feature like 'export MP3'...thats ridiculous...especially after buying expensive hardware and software that only work together.....and a whole bunch of other computer specs are required...

companies like that piss me off.....

access is a peoples company...it is loyal and in turn its customers are loyal and happy.....

• No paid updates for me thanks!

It has taken over 2 years for me to be able to use this beast reliably (since the recent Beta 3.3.0.00 - Mac OS 10.5.8 & 10.6.2, Logic Pro 8 and 9) ie. it has been sitting in the corner of my studio for the majority of this period - doing squat! An expensive piece of furniture...

I have been so close to getting rid of my TI keyboard due to sync issues, quantising issues, bad timing with arps and envs which were not triggering consistently, notes dropping out etc... it has been a total nightmare in my opinion - and totally unusable! I couldn't/wouldn't use it Live and I am certainly still very hesitant in doing so. A project that I sent to Access over 2 years ago has only become reliably playable since this particular recent Beta release.

So having to wait for over 2 years for these issues to get sorted means that I certainly won't be paying for any future updates. Until Beta 3.3.0.00, it has been a total white elephant IMHO - certainly not "Total Integration" which was the exact purpose that I purchased it... thankfully I have never needed to use it as my system audio device.

I believe that Access have done themselves some irreparable damage with the release of the TI - even though it's potential is fantastic - just a shame that "Total Integration" has been anything but... Certainly, IMO, misrepresentation by Access with their advertising material and promises... I believe they still owe their TI customers free, unlimited future support because of all of the issues we have been living with for a very long time.

But now, over 2 years later, I am starting to feel more comfortable with my TI being able to do what it's meant to. Fingers crossed!!!

Anyway - Happy New Year

Virus TI mk1 Keyboard | RME FF 800 | Dynaudio BM6A's mk1, BM14S | Logic Pro X | Cubase 12 Pro | Mac OS 10.X | Windows 10 Pro

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von emdebee ()

• I bought mine last week and have it plumbed into logic. It is great and has been much easier to get going via logic than my M3 which really made my brain ache. As for updates. I'd rather they were free and think this is a good sop to those that have had difficulties, at least you know they will get you sorted in the end. If however it was between the company going bust and surviving (I don't think thats the case of course) then I'd stick my hand in my pocket. I think the virus is a classic and sits next to my SH101. The virus of its day!

• This.

Especially about the special features. This is what Line 6 does with its POD lineup, selling different amp models and effects for a little extra cash never hurt, especially considering that the device is still just as usable without.

Having to pay for updates that actually make the device more efficient / work correctly would be a step in the wrong direction IMO.

• I wouldn't mind at all a donation especially if a feature request of mine has been taken into consideration.

Otherwise it should be free. It's easier for access to maintain a single version than 20.
    Also, this makes the synth worth so much more which is very attractive, and more customers means more *time" for new updates :)

At the same time, I wouldn't mind that they come up with something new, which I would buy with confidence, thanks to the great support + it would help ne lowering my biggest fear, dying "rich" :D

• The whole idea of free updates is part of what I like about access. I bought it (TI) a couple of years ago, and no it was not cheap. For the first 1 1/2 years or so it was, for me, close to unusable for any practical purposes. With the OS as it is now, well I use it on a daily basis and absolutely love it. Free updates equates to goodwill that you don't find in just any company. Keep it up, I say!

• Pay for updates? No.
    Donate as a show of support? Definitely.
    I'd donate right now if they had a donation page.
    But as it was said, one of the best things about access is the free updates.
    So donations would be a nice touch, having a chance to reward the programmers who work on making our favorite synth better. But putting a price tag on it is a bad idea IMO.

DAW: Cubase 7.5 (x86/x64)
    CPU: Intel i7 930 @ 4.0GHz
    MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    RAM: 3x 2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1GB DDR5
    HDD: Intel 320 120GB SSD, 2x Seagate 320GB (raid0)
    Sound: E-mu 1212M
    Monitoring: Dynaudio BM6A Mk2 + BM9S Sub
    DSP: UAD-2 Duo
    USB: Virus Ti, BCF2000, Novation Remote SL...

• I would find purchasable modules for the virus interesting - but i think really if you want to fund futher development you should keep with the product lifetime extension which is the TI2 (and they do look tasty) by buying one - I can't afford ANOTHER one, though :(, especially since they are more expensive now .

• free updates was one of the selling factors when I decided on a Virus, and from what I've heard of the first TI they definitely should be free.
    Look what Dave Smith instruments do with the prophet 08 and poly evolver (both similar price to the TI), if the endless encoders are knakkered, you have to pay for a new pot board. fair enough, you only pay the price so they don't make money off you, but things like this and the voice break-up in the first TI are faults, which should come under the warranty?!
    Anyway, bring on the new OS, it's maybe not something I would pay for without trying, but seeing as it's FREE, it will get used! (I've never upgraded my Blofeld because of the price, and the fact that without trying the feature, I'm not sure if I'll use it or not)

• I think given the number of bugs we've had to put up with for the past few years they really needed to issue free updates. You sell me something, tell me it works, it really ought to do what it says reliably.

But the addition of extra features and constant development of the TI software is great. It makes me feel like a valued customer, not like I'm going to be milked ad infinitum for every minor upgrade or bug fix. A friendly attitude and constant development of great new additions to the TI OS cuts a lot of ice with me and I have to say, I am very happy with my TI and how Access deals with it's customers.