Virus TI Logic Pro X Recording Process/Delay Issues (not exactly latency)

  • I'm having an issue with Logic Pro X and the Virus TI Desktop.

    I am using a Macbook Pro, Mid-2014 with the latest Yosemite. Also, the latest Virus Control/Driver.

    I am also using the TI as my audio interface, through the analogue outs.

    This is how I have set up the first song project with the Virus: basically it's all softsynths plus the TI, so the TI providing the meat, and the softsynths providing the potatoes; probably a common approach. The 16 channels of the TI are used up. I decided to start bouncing those channels down to audio, so I could free them up to building more patches to complete the track.

    When I am writing in the arrange view, or even playing the synth with a controller (a Nord keyboard in this case), the Virus works fine, for the most part. There is some cracking and popping, and occasionally the sequencer loses time, or overloads and stops. This isn't desirable, but it's no big deal. I've been at this a very long time so I come from the days when this happened much more often, just on account of computers being slow. So whatever.

    When I playback the sequence, everything seems delay compensated with the other plugins/softsynths.

    However, when I recorded the audio, the audio was about 1/16th ahead of the beat. So this is a problem.

    The way I did this was by routing the TI channels' respective outputs (remember, in Logic Pro X, every single multi-timbral TI track mirrors the same settings, instantaneously), to a Bus, and then using that Bus as the input for each audio channel. This worked, but with the delay.

    I recognize that I could be doing it wrong. I know the TI does not support bounce-in-place, obviously, but using the File > Bounce (Section) and checking Add To Project for every single segment of a song seems impossible... At best I guess I would have to make a stem for every single track, which would take hours upon hours for big projects (!), and at worst, it is no better than my current delay problem, because I would have to manually line up the start of the audio with the sample (when you check Add To Project to a bounce, it does not align it to the MIDI, it only adds it to the audio bin; so it is not synced in any way).

    Can anyone tell me if I am doing it wrong, or whether this sounds like a glitch, and I should consider other solutions?

    Thank you very much for any help :thumbsup:

  • Just an addendum. After going back and listening closely, in actuality the audio parts are differing from the MIDI parts in time in varying degrees. So not all around 1/16th of a beat. One is very noticeable, one is hardly noticeable. I'm guessing they are drifting within parts, but not sure.

  • the virus requires realtime bouncing for technical reasons. there is sequencer which deal with in-place realtime rendering gracefully (studio one for instance) and other which simply don't offer it. as for logic, you best bet is to solo the track(s) you want to export as a stem, record from bar one, mute the MIDI tracks and add the audio track from the bin. in a second step you could use Strip Silence to cut the new audio track into pieces and increase overview that way.
    if the timing of the bounced parts differs from the MIDI playback, something is wrong with your setup and you should contact support by email.
    hth, marc