3 questions about preset-bank management

• Hey guys

I got a virus TI 1 Desktop. I know how to create sounds from scrach and I wanted to start to save my own sounds as presets (just using hardware). For this I want to create free RAM slots but unfortunatly I am struggeling with the preset management because I really can't find documentation or help about that - so here are a few questions I would like to ask:

1) In this threat http://www.virus.info/forum/in…ing-patches-to-virus-ti2/ they are talking about the "Virus Control Center" (which can be use to write to flash ROM) - I can't find it anywhere in whe web nor on the access music side. - Unless the "Virus Control Center" is the same as the standart VST GUI for the Virus. So any Idea where to get it?

2) I would like to backup all RAM and ROM banks to a fileon my PC (no metter what software I use for this). What is the most save and easyest way for this?

3) I would like to move all of the RAM banks to the empty rom banks so that I don't loose ram presets when I create my own.

thank you in advance.

• I'm pretty sure you can download Virus Control Center from the Access website, as part of the Virus O.S update. Once installed on your PC/Mac, you can find the app under the Access folder. You can use it to backup your Virus, update the O.S version and copy any sound library MIDI file or RAM bank into a ROM bank.

Using the VST plugin, you can use the Browser function to copy patches around, including saving RAM patches into a backup MIDI file. I don't think there's a way to create a new file using the browser, but you could duplicate a MIDI file using the PC/Mac and then use it as backup storage.

Cheers,

EG

• Hello,

As above, it's true. Access Control is included when you download the latest software you need from the downloads area of this website.
    Included is typically the plugin for TI, the control center software, and the software update itself. However, I agree that this is not particularly rational, or simple for those of us who aren't using a computer.

What I do:

I use a Sysex Utility - there are many free utilities like this, I use SysEx Librarian - and connect midi from the computer to the virus, and then from the virus to the computer so it's in and out. Then I initiate a dump of each bank and once received in the Librarian I label is correctly so I don't get confused later. Then I have a safe backup of all my sounds and multis.

Now I'm free to mess around without getting lost, or losing access to sounds. The virus allows us to save single patches, whole memories, or individual banks, and this is also handy.
    The only other note I would add is that you can "force" a bank you wish to send to your virus into a specific bank - Check the manual out and red up on bulk system dump and load. This will help you better understand the concept, but what I like about this is that often there are sounds in a bank I'm checking out which I'd like to keep, but it's pretty rare I want a whole bank. So I will send the bank I'm checking out into bank A by forcing it to go there. Then I will copy whichever sounds I like into bank B, and then send my original bank A back to bank A where it belongs and go from there...

But with a SysEx utility you can make a good backup of all your sounds and then proceed to mess around and back that stuff up too...
    Hope that helps you.

• thx a lot - the virus control center was allready on my computer hidden :)
    I also will try out SysEx Librarian when next time I go out of bootcamp.
    I have one other question:

After copying RAM-B to ROM-T I wold like to make the whole ROM-B full with init sounds so I can start from scrach and just overwrite them - or at least make all RAM-B empty. Is there a quick way to to this?

• can anyone help I hope this is on topic , ... kind of any way , is there a way to either create a text file of your banks to paste into logic ? I'm not using the software anymore and am using the Virus as an external instrument but have no access (pun intended) to the banks in the DAW .... I looked at some 3rd party software to create an environment for Logic to get the banks in but it's a little pricey for the amount of use I'd ever have out of it , so is their an easier way to copy the bank into text somehow then paste them into Logic x so I can have a little more control.

:thumbup:

• You just need your daw to support reading sysex, and then manually dump the sound or bank from the Virus TI via Config->Transmit Midi Dump
    Select Type: Single Buffer to send the current single with any edits it may have. Before you hit 'Store' you need to start recording in your daw, preferably with a higher tempo like 120 (You may wish to play with the tempo). If this doesn't record anything you probably are filtering out SYSEX for that midi device in your daw.

Once you have the recording of the SYSEX you can dump it back in by playing at a slower tempo (Like 80bps) to send it back to the Virus. Make sure you have Recieve Dump-> Enable on the virus. Also make sure you have a couple of empty bars at the beginning of your song to allow the Virus to catch up.

Note: The faster record speed is to make sure you have all the sysex recorded on separate ticks of the beat. Record too much at once on a slow track and you may not send the events back in order.

The slower playback is to make sure you transmit all the sysex slow enough for the virus to catch up. Your daw probably allows a tempo track to change the tempo to your song tempo afterwards.

can anyone help I hope this is on topic , ... kind of any way , is there a way to either create a text file of your banks to paste into logic ? I'm not using the software anymore and am using the Virus as an external instrument but have no access (pun intended) to the banks in the DAW .... I looked at some 3rd party software to create an environment for Logic to get the banks in but it's a little pricey for the amount of use I'd ever have out of it , so is their an easier way to copy the bank into text somehow then paste them into Logic x so I can have a little more control.

:thumbup: