additive - One Night

• Not bad at all. Only two criticisms if don't mind.

1.) The hihat which layers over the half tempo beat is a bit too loud, at least to me, just lower it a hair so it doesn't stand out so much.

2.) The Main break is definitely rolling, however, do something to punch it up a bit. It sounds kinda flat and not very in your face despite it rolling so well. Try some compression to add a little punch, don't be afraid to kill the dynamics a bit, but not too much. Then play with some EQ to make it more alive. I want to feel the kick from break punch through the rest of the track each time it hits, I want to hear the snare snap in my face and have the high end sizzle like a sharp sword! Try and reinforce the break with other elements, perhaps layer a nice phat kick over the kick in the break and a snappier snare to overlay with the snare from the loop. Be sure to keep it low in volume so you still get the feel from the original snare and use some high pass filtering and/or adjust the start and end of the snare and kick sample so it fits nicely with the one from the main loop!

Despite that, sounds good!

• wow i am spacing on your song dude! love the melodie and the snare is kicking!

http://www.myspace.com/monoproductionstm

DAW: Cubase 5

MB: Asus Rampage Extreme
    RAM: 4x 2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    CPU: Intel core 2 quad @ 3.0 GHz
    GPU: ATI EAH 4890 1GB
    Sound: t.c. eletronic Konnekt 8
    Monitoring: 2x KRK rp6 g2 + 1x KRK rp10s
    DSP: UAD, t.c. eletronic Powercore 6000 including virus powercore
    USB: Virus Ti Polar
    FW: Korg m3

• Monomeester thank you for your feedback! Glad you're enjoying it :)

Fringe, your comments and criticism are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm quite new to this mixing business, and all the feedback I can get helps immensely. I agree with your comments, and I intend on trying out what you've suggested tonight... I will also be filling out the half-tempo break with some reverse hats to give it a bit more shwing, and shine whilst reducing the level of the attack on the layered hats.

As far as the main break goes, I think that I should layer the transient of another snare and hat over the backbeat snare - something I've been thinking about for a while now... and then I'll leave it up to the mastering engineer to punch the drums out of the mix.. and give the hats the sizzle that you suggest.

I would be interested to know your opinion on whether you think this track is "likable" enough to send to mastering and approach a small label... :)

Of course, interested in anyone else's opinions on this, and any other criticism as well.

Regards -Nick

• i was only able to listen to your song through my laptop that realy has good sound for a laptop though. I don't realy understand people talking about your mix. ok you can always do it beter but it sound realy good. hihat is not to hard as the guy said, thats just a mather of taste.

overal the song is complete, for the mix you can always do it beter, try reading "the mixing engineer's handbook second edition by Bobby Owsinski. That will help you understand how to mix and what not.

:thumbup:

http://www.myspace.com/monoproductionstm

DAW: Cubase 5

MB: Asus Rampage Extreme
    RAM: 4x 2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    CPU: Intel core 2 quad @ 3.0 GHz
    GPU: ATI EAH 4890 1GB
    Sound: t.c. eletronic Konnekt 8
    Monitoring: 2x KRK rp6 g2 + 1x KRK rp10s
    DSP: UAD, t.c. eletronic Powercore 6000 including virus powercore
    USB: Virus Ti Polar
    FW: Korg m3

• all fixed :) http://www.additivemusic.com <-- enjoy!