How many virus ti2's can I run in TI mode simultaneously on 1 computer?

• wavesinspace,

I don't know what DAW you are using but maybe you have the option to freeze your tracks in realtime? Doing this would allow you to unfreeze the Virus TI tracks if you needed to change something. It has to be realtime bouncing though or else it will not work. Which brings me to my second suggestion:

First, bounce each of the Virus MIDI channels to audio individually and for organizational purposes place the bounced audio channel under the actual Virus MIDI Channel and name it "Bounced 'Virus MIDI Channel Name' Audio" and the, with the bounced tracks placed under the actual Virus TI MIDI tracks, mute the Virus MIDI Tracks and monitor the bounced audio version. This would allow you to still create with other plugins and such and when you wanted to change something on a track just, 1. mute the bounced version, 2. engage (un-mute) the Virus MIDI tracks to make your changes, 3. erase the previously bounced audio material and then 4. bounce the changed Virus MIDI track again so the process may be repeated as many times as you like when you want to change something. That would be the way I would do it if I was going to choose your type of workflow.

If I were going to do this myself, and I use my Virus TI2 Polar on 75%+ of my compositions mainly with the TI Plugin, I would use the Hardware Direct Out option on the TI plugin (The upper case D button in between the preset number and the volume fader, under the M (mute) while in Browser mode on the Virus TI plugin GUI) and record that on stereo line inputs on my Audio Interface. Considering you have multiple stereo outputs on a Virus TI you could route certain tracks to the different outputs depending on their frequency spectrum or place in the song (Highs, Mids, Lows or Melodic content, Drums and Percussion, Bass and Pads) and be able to adjust the MIDI information in a similar fashion to the way I explained for your type of workflow by engaging the Virus MIDI Tracks, making the changes, then erasing the previous bounced audio from the Direct Outputs on the Virus TI Hardware Unit and recording the new, changed version to continue working on the track. Then just repeat as needed.

I'm just assuming that you are using other software instruments and plugins correct? You would only need to do this if you are using other Software Instruments and Plugins. BUT If you are JUST USING the Virus TI's for your sounds then my suggestion would be to run the Virus TI Hardware in Sequencer Mode, giving you 16 sound presets per Virus TI ( This is all depending on how many voices and the DSP used by each patch), scratch using the TI plugin and use an external instrument plugin with MIDI or just route MIDI out to the Virus' and record from the Direct Outs straight into your DAW. I use this option a lot. Especially when I don't want to deal with the sync issues that come with the TI Plugin. The only drawback is that if you are used to using the TI Plugin then you have to learn how to manipulate your sounds via the Virus TI Hardware knobs and buttons, which in my case I actually prefer to using a mouse to change parameters. The tactile feel and physical manipulation of the using a hardware synths knobs, faders and buttons is half the fun in my opinion!

Now, my choice of DAW would definitely be Logic Pro X for this. No, I do not work for Apple but I have been using Logic (all the way back from when it was available for PC too) for such a long time because. 1. It is rock solid in terms of MIDI implementation with the MIDI Environment and MIDI Transform Screen, Event list and Editor, MIDI plugins, Step Input and others plus Logic's ability to create custom user interfaces and MIDI filters in the MIDI Environment along with a rock solid GUI and amazing audio engine, oh yeah, plus its ability to score and allow me to transcribe music in its newly revamped Score Editor plus its amazing library of sounds and presets for its software instruments and plugins and its ability to edit audio seamlessly down to individual transients and even further to the sample level. Second choice would be Ableton Live the PreSonus' Studio One. Hope this helps.