TI1 crackles with new MacPro

• Hi all,

i feel a bit bad to write another thread about a crackling Virus, but i think i read all the others & still cannot find a solution.

Basically my Virus TI1 crackles every few seconds while playing notes.

i had:
    MacBook Pro 15'' Retina running Mountain Lion & Thunderbolt Display, Ableton 9.2
    Virus TI1 OS 5.0.4 connected to Thunderbolt Display,
    no crackles, everything worked fine, sometimes "out of sync" timing problems on heavy projects, but i think that's normal with the TI.

now i have:
    MacPro (trashcan look) running Yosemite & Thunderbolt Display, Ableton 9.5
    the same Virus TI1 now with OS 5.1.3.0 connected to Thunderbolt Display (or MacPro, same results)

i have tried 20 different USB cables & found 3 different behaviours:
    - some don't even show the Virus in Audio/Midi Setup, no functionality
    - some create heavy distortion & lots of crackles.
    - others seem to work fine, but still the TI crackles every few seconds
    none of them i can recall "out of sync" error messages from the plugin or so.
    i'm obviously using the TI plugin (and won't use it without, TI was the reason why i bought the virus and it worked fine for years for me).

I have tried all available OS versions down to 5.0.8, but the lower the version number gets, the more it crackles.

Strange enough a mate who visited me for a week didn't have crackles running his Cubase 8 on my same MacPro (my Ti was connected directly to MacPro with OS 5.1.3.0)

Thanks for your suggestions & help!
    D

• i have tried it with all 6 or 7 hubs i own - and with none the virus shows up in audio midi setup.

the strange thing is that the Thunderbolt Display seemed to do a great job as a Thunderbolt2Usb-Dongle for the Virus with the Retina Macbook.
    (I always thought they understand each other well, because they are both pretty bitches with a own will)

So i don't get, why this should not work the same way with the MacPro!?

• I keep reading all these posts about putting usb hub between the virus and computer, what a lot of nonsense why do we accept this garbage, i don't know of any other synth that you have to put a hub between it and the pc. absolute nonsense the virus is not fit for purpose you should be able to connect the thing to a computer without all this carry on . if i had known all this i would never have purchased one !!!! i tried to record last night and the thing was changing octave by its self, no midi or usb connections !!! and changing programmes is a huge lag. the machine OS is crap !!!! Access should do the decent thing and recall these machines and refund customers until they come up with a stable operating system as it stands it is useless. all i see is folks making excuses for it on here, Don't accept it guys the machine is basically flawed.

• I keep reading all these posts about putting usb hub between the virus and computer, what a lot of nonsense why do we accept this garbage, i don't know of any other synth that you have to put a hub between it and the pc. absolute nonsense the virus is not fit for purpose you should be able to connect the thing to a computer without all this carry on . if i had known all this i would never have purchased one !!!! i tried to record last night and the thing was changing octave by its self, no midi or usb connections !!! and changing programmes is a huge lag. the machine OS is crap !!!! Access should do the decent thing and recall these machines and refund customers until they come up with a stable operating system as it stands it is useless. all i see is folks making excuses for it on here, Don't accept it guys the machine is basically flawed.

I would have to second these comments. Imagine how much better Access would be regarded if you finally put this USB fiasco behind you and released a new virus without these ridiculous problems. Instead you are spinning your wheels for the past decade with "contact support" for every single problem - they are all the same.

A brand new mac pro with its insane performance should have no issues at all driving the incredibly dated TI. I wish you would finally get your act together or give some indication that things are progressing here.

• Happy New Year Update:
    Kinda by chance i seem to have a stable system now!
    I bought a second hand Novation SL49 MK2 - and the USB-Cable that came with it seems to be my best friend now.
    When connected directly to VaderHead-MacPro i still get a few crackles - but they go away when I connect it to my Thunderbolt-Display!

Resume:
    - Thunderbolt Display seems do be a good "hub" for the Virus TI1.
    Did the trick for me with my RetinaMacBook & now also the MacPro!
    - Cable is lottery. The cable that works for me looks rather cheap & thin.

• I definitely had problems with one particular USB2 cable. The braided cable (like the one supplied with Virus) was fine.

This was only a problem on my Mac Pro. My older MacBook Pro (with USB2 ports) works fine with any cable.

It's almost like the braided shield is grounded properly on one system, but not the other.

• The issue has nothing to do with the cables it is the Virus , it is not fit for purpose. it is a joke it really is all that money and it is basically useless i am afraid to turn mine on to honest which is crazy.

• I honestly think this has more to do with the USB chipset used on the Mac Pro.

It works pretty-much perfectly on my older MacBook, which is USB2. I've done many a gig with Virus as sound-card in that mode.

On my Mac Pro, I sometimes also see my Sternberg dongle not be recognised. It happened just this morning in fact.