Analog filters

• I have a very good understanding on the differences between digital and analog filters. Moreover, I have scientific papers to prove that emulations of x and y analog filters always suffer, to the degree of their respective programmers' capability. Access' attempt regarding the Minimoog filter is to be applauded but I am truly sorry if one thinks that they will dial "minimoog" and they will have it in an instant. Same with Arturia. So instead of trying to mimic what other manufacturers / designers have been doing and living with the idea that it will never be the same, maybe it would be a good idea for Access to implement an analog filter. Who knows, maybe they can come with a cool nice design. Waldorf did it, I don't see why Access can't. So, I am sorry, but analog is definitely not a myth. Hype maybe, expensive maybe, but myth?

You may think that the Virus is capable of producing *certain* analog timbres convincingly. So do I, but people, programmers and designers tend to focus too much on technology and loose sight of how their ever-advancing superiority actually affects sound per se. So, contrary to you, I would rather have 16, 8 or even 1 voice of unique analog, rather than 400 voices of digital, especially when released in a continuous barrage of updates and repackages.

• You are entitled to you preference, however as this is my field of research - i will say with little doubt, there is nothing about analgue filters that cannot be modelled - they just aren't that complex. True enough linear techniques aren't the way to go about modelling them, but for a long time (and to a certain extent, now) linear techniques have been all that was available in an affordable system or any system at all.

But I'm quite happy for the industry to have their doubts - and i know that a lot of the industry have their interests lying in people believeing true analogue tones are the special realm of analogue circuitry - this is fine. It is fine because when it is finally achieved (and im sure this will happen gradually over a series of generations) the competition will be few and far between...

Delay, phaser and chorus effects have already been well covered as linear techniques can easily model these (mainly because they use sampling techniques anyway) - though im sure they can be adorned with more modern modelling to enrich the tonality.

I'm sure you aren't to be convinced, anyway, so I'll cease my efforts in the forum, but just remember for later on...

I told you so...

• Yes, you are right, I am not convinced. And guess what, this is a field I researched too (among others).

• I have a very good understanding on the differences between digital and analog filters. Moreover, I have scientific papers to prove that emulations of x and y analog filters always suffer, to the degree of their respective programmers' capability. Access' attempt regarding the Minimoog filter is to be applauded but I am truly sorry if one thinks that they will dial "minimoog" and they will have it in an instant. Same with Arturia. So instead of trying to mimic what other manufacturers / designers have been doing and living with the idea that it will never be the same, maybe it would be a good idea for Access to implement an analog filter. Who knows, maybe they can come with a cool nice design. Waldorf did it, I don't see why Access can't. So, I am sorry, but analog is definitely not a myth. Hype maybe, expensive maybe, but myth?

we have a great history of inventing our own sound algorithms. the mini moog filter in the virus was modelled after a mini moog but also does a lot which you cannot do with a mini moog or ANY other analogue filter. for example, you can choose in between 1-4 poles (the mini moog has always 4 poles) and even in 1 pole mode, the filter self-oscillates. another thing you cannot do with an analogue filter is to determine the level of the self-oscillation versus the level of the rest.

the virus will never sound identical to the mini moog for a simple reason: different oscillators, different envelopes - pretty much different everything (maybe apart from the filter in 4 pole setting) . we are not out to make replicas. we are out to make fresh things. the mini moog filter was a great starting point but we didn't intend to just copy it.

as for waldorf: if you're referring to the Q+ you might want to look at the costs per voice. actually, the Q+ is a great example for what i wrote earlier on: you really wouldn't like to pay for 80 analogue filter boards in a virus ti. we have no intention to go down this road.

best, marc

• I would like to stress how cool it would be to have extra analogue filters on there, though. Something a little more mellow than the Moog type sound - im thinking ARP Odyssey, here (not mk2).

• you really wouldn't like to pay for 80 analogue filter boards in a virus ti. we have no intention to go down this road.
    best, marc

OK, I hear you, so how about releasing a new synthesizer with 16 voices AND analog filters? 8o

Oh and please change that ridiculous name "Virus" to something more appropriate. There are hundreds of people who died of a recent virus, it's not funny at all. :S

• Is it wrong that my sense of humour allows me to find that last post funny?

OurDarkness is guilty merely of reflex anthropocentricity. Viruses are beauiful and elegantly efficient organisms that just don't know when to stop - very much like this little synhesize - is all. Hopefully Access is not considering brand names such as FluffyBunny for the next product line. The Prion, maybe, with apologies to victims of that beastie, and pace OurDarkness ;)

• i think nobody would like to afford one analogue filter for each of the up to 90 voices... also i think the mini moog inspired cascade filter in the virus is very close to the original...

best, marc

I really enjoy program my Ti snow. But the real thing is that the "analog emulation" of moog filter isn´t close to the original. I have a Phatty SE too and Virus emulation isn´t close a bit.