Virus KC does nothing with received Sysex data

• Hello all,

I have a virus KC with OS 6.5, I use Logic pro-X as sequencer. I can make a sysex dump of all he presets banks to Logic and store it (for changing the battery of the Virus). I do this via "Midi Dump TX" > "total".
    However, if I want to upload that file again to the Virus, the sysexdata is not stored. The Virus does receive the data, as the "se" signal is visible on the Virus' display.
    The Virus is set to "Midi Dump RX" > "enable".
    In "System Edit" > "Midi", both "ProgChange" and MultiPrgChg" are set to "Enabled".

The above does also not work if I want to receive Sysex data for (for example) one singe programm. It does not matter how I set "Midi Dump RX" (to enable, or ForceToEditBuff" or others).

I have some questions:
    1) when playing back the Syses Data on my sequencer, should i do something with the virus after the sequence was played?
    2) if if set the MidiDump RX to "verify" and play the Sysex data back, it plays all and the Virus' display shows the "se" symbol. But at the end nothing happens. The virus does not mention "verification OK". Does "verify" only alarm when there is something wrong with the Sysex Data the Virus is receiving?
    3) If someone knows how to solve this, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

• I checked and I can also not "upload" the sounds that can be downloaded from this site (at "support" > "downloads" > products: "discontinued" > category "sounds and patches".

If i play these virus C .MID soundpatch files in Logic, the Virus does receive sysex, but no new sounds are stores.

The only thing that does work, is overwriting banks C until G with the .MID file that overwrites these banks with 1024 sounds that came from Access (when delivered from Access, the demo song was stored in these banks and they supplied a .MID file that overwrites this).

I still have no clue.....Anyone?

• It's been a while since I had my Virus B, but is it possible that under System somewhere there's a setting to ignore SYSEX? Alternatively it might be possible to change the device ID number from the default. On my TI2 midi device is set to 1, so perhaps check that?

• Thanks for your answers. So it may have to do something with the device ID. The device ID of the Virus C was (by default) set to 1. When that did not work, I had set it to "omni" (i did read that somewhere on a forum). That did not work too.

So the device ID has to "match". My question is: match with what? Is it something that I should set in (or find in) Logic Pro-x?

Thanks once again!

• It doesn't sound like there are any problems with your Device ID, I believe most ID's are set to 1 and Omni would work as well. Are you sure you are actually transmitting sysex? How are you doing it?

The device ID is the unique identifier sent from the original sysex dump. When you send a patch up with SYSEX or any other SYSEX it transmits the devices current ID, and when it comes back down the ID's have to match or be set to OMNI to listen to that SYSEX. The original reason for it was so you could chain multiple synths to the same midi port and specify which device it went to.

• I am not totally sure that I transmit Sysex data but i think so. The procedure that I follow is described in my first post (see start of this topic). First I hit the recording button in Logic pro-x, after that I start the sysex dump. I can see Logic is recording something, but I do not know if that is the correct sysex data. Also I do not know how i can evaluate if this data is correct sysex data or not. When I try to receive Sysex on the Virus, i see the "se" signal in the display of the virus. But nothing seems to be stored into the memory.

Also when I download sounds from this site (support" > "downloads" > products: "discontinued" > category "sounds and patches"), and play the .MID file in logic
    the Virus shows the "se" symbol in the display, but no new sounds are stored. And I assume this sysex data should be of good quality

The only thing that does work regarding the storage of sysex on my virus, is re-installing the Operating System and after that, the 1024 sounds. (I am sure the 1024 sounds are received and stored, because it overwrites changes that i made to sound banks). Why this Sysex is received and stored, i do not know.

So I have no clue how to solve this. And I am afraid the battery of my Virus goes empty (that is why I wanted to store the sounds). is there alternatives to get the sounds and multifiles stored on a Mac? (I still do have the Sounddiver software, but that does not run an Apple)

• hi
    i have just updated my virusA...yipeeee!...after having problems all yesterday and this morn. i got "buffer underun" and "incomplete block" error msgs ....

2 extra things i did.....1 turned tempo of cubase to 50bpm ......and took a midi cable DIRECTLY from soundcard midi out to virus in. (i had the midi from cubase passing through a USB midi controller keyboard with a midi out connection to the virus) IT ONLY WORKED FOR ME WHEN I USED THE DIRECT 5 PIN MIDI CABLE?? ....i have no idea why

mine showed S/E (system exclusive) in the display when i didnt put the virus into UPDATE mode (holding store button while turning virus on.....u did do this yeah???) while playing the sysex msg from cubase. it even showed this S/E in the display when i had it running through the usb route, which made me think it was recieving??!!

hope that may help

• sorry to bother you on an old thread, but is there a trick to opening the KC? I have a bracket on the right side that is catching the keybed. I'm going to put a new screen in it and a battery change. Is there anything I shuld be extra careful with while opening?

• If they are anything like the TI, it's not too hard to get the key bed out, but there's around 10 screws on the base you need to remove. (They make a big rectangle, fairly easy to spot.) And a few on the back panel, that stop the top from tilting up. There's a few screws you don't need to remove, such as 2 for a foam spacer bracket, right in the middle of the bottom of the case. There's also a divider bracket just right of the pitch and mod wheels - that can be tricky and prevent the entire top from lifting, you might need to remove the 2 or 3 screws on that. Don't need to touch the small screws at the left front, where the warranty sticker is.

Cheers,

EG