Using MIDI THRU to send start/stop messages to a drum machine whilst in Logic X ?

• Hello amazing people of the virus world ,
    I have a quick question and a bit of a puzzle , I'm convinced it's my fault and there is a simple and effective work around (as always) but here goes.

as I am currently having Motu express 128 issues I am back using the Virus control centre within Logic as a plugin in order to keep the work flowing the only issue I have now is getting a decent sync and flow between my hardware as I am back to only having one MIDI out on my Saffire Liquid 56 and limited usb availability on my macbook pro , the issue I'm having is that I wanted to use the MIDI THRU port of the Virus Ti to send start/stop to my electron Machinedrum whilst jamming around inside Logic , I have my Virus plugged in Via USB my Roland TR-8 via the one available MIDI port and wanted to get the Virus to send the clock messages out to the Machinedrum but can't seem to figure out where I'm going wrong here does anyone have a quick and easy solution ?

many thanks in advance for any help.
    Leon.