Empty ROM banks?

• I've just had my TI 2 desktop a day or so and I've been cycling through the ROM banks to see what this thing sounds like. I noticed that ROM banks V-Z are empty. Is this normal? Seems like wasted space to me.

• yes, that's perfectly normal. The idea is that you use Virus Control (the plug in) to compile your own "best of" set and then write them into the (hardware) banks of the TI. But really, this only makes sense if you are going to use the Virus away from the computer, playing live or using a non-computer setup. Downside: it is quite time consuming to get your best of set together.

On the other hand, should you always work with the computer, the Virus Control plug can host an unlimited amount of banks. These banks could be project or genre related and are much quicker set up, edited, etc.

• I have yet to get the Virus racked and hooked up properly to my computer. The rack kit that I ordered new arrived bent so I had to send it back. Right now I have my SY77 hooked up via MIDI to the Virus just so I could play with it. Really looking forward to messing around with the TI software.

• That doesn't make sense because the whole idea of ROM is that you cannot write to it!!
    Why didn't they just call those extra banks RAM if that's what they are?

So you are saying you CAN write to those spare ROM banks when connected to the plugin, but not when disconnected?

EDIT**** I just checked and you CANNOT save to the empty ROM banks... not sure where you got that idea?... see image below (you can only save to the RAM banks):

[Blockierte Grafik: http://s30.postimg.org/554ooq8ld/Screen_Shot_2016_01_07_at_11_22_25_copy.jpg]

• I can only give you a general idea, hope you don't mind.

You CAN fill those Virus hardware banks with sounds.
    Since these banks are NOT normal ram banks (they are flash rom i believe), the writing process is DIFFERENT from writing to a ram bank, and NO, this is not done in the vst plugin "Virus TI".
    What you do in the "Virus TI" plugin is, that you PREPARE banks for this process. Once you have created a few banks within the "Virus TI" plugin, they appear as selectable banks in the folder of your computer where the other banks are located.

Now these banks can be flash written to the hardware.

Quit your DAW and "Virus TI" plugin, and instead open Virus Control CENTER (that separate standalone application).
    Here you can select banks from your folder and specify, to which bank inside the Virus hardware you want them to be written.

Hope that helps. For further questions PLEASE consult the manual. That's what i did, many many years ago.

• I've just had my TI 2 desktop a day or so and I've been cycling through the ROM banks to see what this thing sounds like. I noticed that ROM banks V-Z are empty. Is this normal? Seems like wasted space to me.

since there are over a hundred free sound banks on our website, we though we'd leave some space you can fill up yourself. you need a special utility (Virus Control Center) to overwrite those banks and it is a process which is different to a RAM bank - you can only write an entire bank at a time.

• it´s installed with the installer. Check it: press windows-logo, all programms, Access Music, Support. There you may find the Control center. May be different to a mac...

die besten Wünsche - best regards

Clubfiller
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Win 7 64 - Cubase Pro 8 - Yamaha moxf 6 - access Virus TI - access Virus for PowerCore - Waldorf blofeld