New Virus User

• I just bought a new Virus TI2 Polar and I am trying to use it with Bitwig studio for recording and sequencing. I mostly use hardware gear so this is the first time I am using a DAW to sequence.

What would be the best way to use the Virus with Bitwig for sequencing and recording it?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

I am using a Surface Pro 4, Windows 10, Bitwig Studio.

Cheers!

• What can you see? Did Bitwig create a MIDI track for Virus TI, when you opened up the VST? Are you able to open the VST and it shows the "Configuring Virus TI" page? Then the "Easy" oscillator/filter page?

Cheers,

EG

• Hello,

Thanks for the response. I am not seeing a MIDI track for the Virus, it did show the TI VST and configured it but I could not get any sound from it or even add the Virus as a MIDI controller to use it in Bitwig. I did see the Easy Oscillator/filter page.

• Not familiar with Bitwig, but can you open the VST folder and drag the Virus TI into a new MIDI track? (Or a space that will create a new track for you.) Once you have a track for the VST, you can start to create separate tracks for each channel of the Virus. Takes a little bit of fiddling.

EG

• I think that's almost a moot point, given the number of problems people regularly experience with supported hosts...

no, it is not. here's why: if a host is not supported it is either missing features required for total integration to work or we do not test against it because we simply don't have the resources to test against every host available. if somebody has a problem with a supported it makes sense to contact support and let them help. i know that there is a number of threads on the forum indicating that nothing is really working but the truth is that the majority of our users has working setups. that includes us. we wouldn't release software which doesn't work for us. to me that would be counter productive. but let's not discuss this all again. my comment was intended to represent an official position and the hint that we cannot help with questions regarding Bitwig and Total Integration. In difference to Live, which is an officially supported host.

• Sorry, Marc, you are right, it was a cheap shot on my part. :) I had just had a long sequencing session using Live and my TI, over USB, and had so many glitches that I was feeling really frustrated with the entire setup. I think I will have to go back to using MIDI, it just worked and probably sounded better. Might even consider buying an Arturia Keylab synth, to use that as the first device over USB, with my Virus gear connected over MIDI. Sorry to say my old Emu USB 0404 doesn't seem to work with my new laptop, so I don't have a working MIDI interface, aside from the Virus gear.

Cheers,

EG