Balanced Outputs ? (TI Key v 1)

• To confuse things even more, there are stereo jacks which are (or can be) used as differential signals as well :) TRRS jacks with tip - two rings - and a sleeve/shield (although I have not seen used in my life anywhere), there are servo balancing and much more..

• if the stereo signal you routed to the 1 input gets routed back to the other channel...they dont jump through air

correct, the only thing the left input ring is connected is the normalizing/switch pin of the right input socket. The right input ring is not connected to anything

In balanced that sleeve goes thru the "impedance balancing" to ground <- that is the circuitry you mentioned, which cancels the noise

that would be a resistor between the ground and the ring on an output socket (my virus uses 470ohm resistors for this), but that's not the circuitry that cancels the noise. That circuitry would have to be connected to the inputs and it would have to subtract the ring input signal from the tip input signal usually using an opamp.

Stereo is a different thing completely

this is what I was pointing to. The left virus input is a stereo input rather than a balanced mono input

• correct, the only thing the left input ring is connected is the normalizing/switch pin of the right input socket. The right input ring is not connected to anything

that would be a resistor between the ground and the ring on an output socket (my virus uses 470ohm resistors for this), but that's not the circuitry that cancels the noise. That circuitry would have to be connected to the inputs and it would have to subtract the ring input signal from the tip input signal usually using an opamp.

this is what I was pointing to. The left virus input is a stereo input rather than a balanced mono input

Noise canceling is all about the impedance, how noise gets canceled in balanced systems. It does not require any extraordinary components/circuits.

Now, if you are to use the 1 input as mono, you need to use "mono" jack (and yes it will still be "balanced" impedance wise as the impedance balancing only needs 1 hot and 1 cold line) Likely the design is meant to be that you can use stereo jack on 1 input to get stereo signal to the Virus, hence why the switching on the jacks. I have not looked inside the Virus, but just on top of my hat thinking.

• Here's your official answer: the Virus TI has balanced outputs. The type of balancing used is called impedance balancing as explained in the SOS article found by the OP.
    @EvilGuy: Ever considered that LEFT is the headphone output on the Snow whereas there's a separate one on the rest of the line. That's why you see a difference in volume.

Magnuz

PCWS: i7 3930k | Corsair H100 | Sapphire HD7950 Dual X | 64GB Patriot Viper III DDR3 1866 | MSI BigBang XPower II | 8xSamsung EVO=19TB + 2xWD4001=8TB HDD | Enermax 1200w 80+Platinum | CM Cosmos II

Cubits: Cubase 12.0.7 | CMC-TP · CH · PD · AI · QC · FDx2

Main Gear: Access Virus Ti · Virus C | Maschine Studio · Jam | Korg Triton pro 76 | Novation SL MKII | MOTU MidiXT | Roland XV-5080 · JV-2080 · TR-8 · TB-3 · VT-3 | Goliath HD | Barefoot MM27Gen2 | Mackie HR824 | Yamaha AW4416