Three Brand New TI2 Desktops Crashing on Demo Song and Some Factory Patches

• Hi there,

I recently purchased a brand new Virus TI2 Desktop and the synth crashes when playing the demo song (usually within 3-5 minutes) as well as some factory patches - the audio turns into a continuous, loud BUZZZZZ noise that sounds just like a computer that crashed while playing audio. The only way to restore the synth to normal is to power-cycle it. I had my dealer (Sweetwater) send me two replacements and each of them also crashed on the demo song and some factory patches (most frequently on patch RAM A 74).

I am running TiOS 5.1.1.0. This is happening with nothing connected to the synths except headphones.

I restored each synth to factory settings about 6 times, I reinstalled the OS several times, and nothing helps. I can't believe that all three units are defective! (One of them arrived with a dead headphone output, BTW.)

I opened an email support request (SI00115702) for this but I'm wondering if others are having this crashing issue?

• I had trouble with a ti snow (demo unit) from sweetwater which I sent back because of crashes had them replace it with a new ti2 desktop (payed the difference). I had to wait a week for sweetwater to have them in stock and they shipped it out as soon as they came in. I have had zero issues with the ti2 so far using the total integration with Sonar 2016 as well as a bcr2000 modded with the zaquencer firmware. The unit and shipping container was in perfect condition, no issues there either.

To be fair, the snow was a demo unit so the crashing issues it had could be attributed to that.

• Thanks for the info. I wonder if Sweetwater got a bad batch of them perhaps... I'm just really taken aback by the fact I received three defective units in a row. I'm really hesitant to have them ship me a fourth unit at this point, not sure what to do other than get a refund.

• Their customer service has declined over the years. They use to always open up the box, check out the instrument, update it if necessary, install any addons you ordered, etc before shipping. When I finally got my Ti2 desktop, it was completly sealed as well.
    When I got a Radias a while ago, they opened the box, checked it, and upgraded the os.

I would try contacting access, if you haven't already. If you did and can't get anywhere,then just send it back.

• I actually had that happen on my Polar the first time I used it. I noticed it's only the Demo song, I just stopped trying to play it. Updated the OS, and never noticed any problems with it since. I've also never bothered with the Demo button since though either.

• I did contact Access and got a reply from Matt Skaags who said that I'm probably overloading the DSP by playing too many notes and too complex patches. If I were overloading the DSP, wouldn't the demo song crash in the same exact spot every time (where it uses the most DSP) instead of randomly? And wouldn't playing the synth always crash only on playing the most notes using the most complex patch, instead of randomly? Also, when the synth runs out of resources, shouldn't it just stop playing any more notes instead of crashing? A crash is not a gracious way of handling running out of DSP - I have never, ever seen any other synth do such a thing, including my Virus C which I bought new in 2003 and still have.

He also said that he's never heard of shipping damage - I bet the dealers just send customers replacements until they're happy, and they never tell Kemper that the units arrived damaged. I described the damage to the units I received to Matt in detail.

I don't really feel like dealing with the back-and-forth and then waiting a month for Kemper to repair the synth, or get yet another busted replacement from Sweetwater, so I decided to send it back for a refund.

I bought a mint TI Desktop (first edition) on eBay for $1000, since I don't care about the 25% more DSP - saved myself $1300 and at least it works.