Virus Control Center "Restore Factory Settings" loads wrong ROM banks on TI2 Desktop and Polar

• I'm trying to fully restore a Virus Ti2 Desktop to factory settings, including the ROM banks. According to the manual addendum, the Virus Control Center (5.1.3.0) offers the option "Restore Factory Settings" under the menu "Advanced" for that purpose. Then VCC recognizes the hardware as Ti2 Desktop and starts the process "Restoring Factory Settings" just fine.

However, when it finished, the ROM banks contained not the sound sets for the Ti2 but for the Ti (Version 1). So it seems that VCC somehow confuses these two models.

How can I achieve a full and correct restore of a Ti2?

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Now exactly the same happened with a Polar/Darkstar Ti2.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Some more info on this issue:

Several weeks ago I managed to get the ROM banks Desktop restored to the TI2 presets... BUT I am not sure what I did to make it happen:
    After having updated it to OS 5.1.3.0, I did downgraded to 5.0.8.0 and again upgraded to 5.1.3.0 twice within about two weeks. I think during the second downgrade/upgrade cycle, the OS upgrade failed and the synth needed to be started into Update mode manually and get upgraded through VCC instead of the Virus Software Installer.

When I started the VCC then, the display was different than with any runs before:
    Previously it always had recognized my TI2 Desktop as "TI Desktop" displaying the icon for the TI1 Desktop (wood sides). Being new to the whole Virus TI line, I wasn't really bothered about this, but thought it was purely cosmetic. But then, after the failed OS upgrade, the VCC recognized my Desktop as "TI2 Desktop" displaying the icon for the TI2 Desktop!
    After that OS update, the restore was done properly and the ROM banks contained the TI2 presets.

However, my Darkstar is reconized as "TI2 Polar", which is the correct machine, but still gets the TI1 ROM banks on restore...

• By accident, I found a workaround today:

- Make Backup of device
    - Restore Backup to device

After that, the correct Ti2 ROM banks were stored on my Darkstar!

So, this is most probably what I also did on the Desktop: Restored a backup, which also restored the matching Ti2 ROM banks without me realizing that.

I did a little bit more investigation and found the reason for this: The VCC backup does not actually save the (factory) ROM banks from the device, but must copy them from the same cache that Virus Control is using. But the VCC restore does a full restore of everything, including the ROM banks. Thus, after a simple VCC Backup and VCC Restore, all the ROM banks were changed from the wrong Ti1 content to the proper Ti2 content.

So there are actually two different bugs:

• VCC Restore Factory Settings writes the Ti1 ROM banks to a Ti2 device
    • VCC Backup does not save the ROM banks from the device but uses some other source

I hope that helps someone who runs into the same problem, and naturally hope that Access will solve that in a future release.

• About to try your suggestion of backing up and restoring to see if that works. Fingers crossed.

• If you have the same problem, please submit a bug report to Access Music, so that they know more users are having the same peoblem.

• I had the same problem with TI2 ROM banks. Your solution solved it. Thank you!