Virus TI on a Hackintosh (Z87, Mavericks)?

• I recently picked up a Virus TI, but I haven't had any luck getting it to work as a plugin in Ableton Live. The Virus Control application does see the Virus, I can update the software over USB, use the Virus as an audio card, but when I load the plugin I always get this error message...

"MIDI driver failed - the midi driver failed to start or is not properly installed. This can happen if you have too many USB devices connected. Also try installing the software again.

I've tried unplugging all USB devices except for the Virus but that didn't help.

I bought this Manhattan MTT USB hub and tried plugging just the virus into it, just my mouse and keyboard with the virus going straight into the motherboard, and all 3 USB devices plugged in to it, but that didn't make a difference either.

Does anyone have a TI working successfully on their hack system? What did you do to get it to work?

I'm running a Gigabyte Z87X-UD5-TH motherboard and 4770k processor on Mavericks.

• OK thanks. Are there any Hackintosh users that have TI functioning? The Virus doesn't show up as a device in the Audio MIDI Setup and it does not send any MIDI over USB at all. However, I can update the firmware over USB. I don't have any issues with any other USB devices on my system.

• OK thanks. Are there any Hackintosh users that have TI functioning? The Virus doesn't show up as a device in the Audio MIDI Setup and it does not send any MIDI over USB at all. However, I can update the firmware over USB. I don't have any issues with any other USB devices on my system.

eventually the MIDI driver is not working. updating doesn't rely on the MIDI driver. you might want to check if the OS loads the driver at all and if the driver gets activated when you plug-in the Virus. but that's me all guessing.

• I had the Virus TI working on an Asus P6T Deluxe v2 with Snow Leopard and than Mavericks. As Apple F***ed OSX and started making an OS every year I returned to Win with no will to go back. The hackintosh, if well built and configured, has no difference at all with the real thing, I suggest you to have a look on insanelymac forum for the right usb kexts for your mobo.

-Windows 10 Pro 64bit DAW (Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero + i9-9900)

-Steinberg Cubase 10 + Steinberg CC121 Controller
    -Steinberg MR816 CSX + Behringer ADA8200
    -iConnectivity MIO10
    -Virus TI2 P0lar
    -Waldorf Pulse (1)
    -Waldorf Blofeld

-Yamaha AN1x
    -Yamaha Reface DX
    -Clavia Nord Modular G1 Expanded

-Moog Minitaur
    -Maschine MK3

-Elektron Octatrack MKII

-Adam A7X
    https://soundcloud.com/daksha

• As Apple F***ed OSX and started making an OS every year I returned to Win with no will to go back.

nice attitude. you use software without having the right to (AKA steal) and then you insult the maker because he progressed things in a way you don't appreciate? what's wrong with you? i suggest you keep those things to yourself when posting to this board.

• Well, I haven't insulted Apple, and never insulted anyone, here or elsewhere. Not my general attitude and not what I'm here for.
    I just stated what they did: they broke (fu***d) so many things in OSX, at least for music users, and started pushing an OS every year. Like it or not, it's a fact, and you know it.
    Dear Marc, I work as IT and I needed quickly to LEARN OSX architecture, building an hackintosh is the best way for learning starting straight from the boot architecture, kernel & driver-kexts stuff and file system...being also a regular linux user I just needed to compare some things...
    Before deleting it, I tryed it for music just the time to evaluate if it was just the case to invest on a MacPro or not (I have a macbook for other stuff than music), than I decided it was not for me and this machine got back to Windows, as usual.
    I just avoided trashing 3000 or plus euros for a MacPro which now could only be a source of problems (just my opinion).
    My Win licence is regular and always has been, my Cubase licence also as all my N.I. and Waldorf plugins...and a bounch of other plugs I use are the same...and MOST OF ALL my general attitude is totally opposite to stealing as often I DONATED for developers of freeware plugins and editors for other synths I use...so...stealing isn't just my attitude.
    Maybe it's YOU, who insulted ME, now.
    Sad to hear this while on a board to try helping someone...
    I invite you to go and read my past discussions on this board, to evaluate if I insult people or steal stuff...
    Thanks.

-iConnectivity MIO10
    -Virus TI2 P0lar
    -Waldorf Pulse (1)
    -Waldorf Blofeld

-Yamaha AN1x
    -Yamaha Reface DX

-Moog Minitaur
    -Maschine MK3

-Elektron Octatrack MKII

-Adam A7X

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Daksha ()

• Daksha: there is no software which you're permitted to use without a license. some are free, some cost money. but in any case there is a license agreement.
    as for MacOS you are not permitted to use/install etc. unless you run it on a supported hardware by Apple. and just because you work in IT you don't have the right to use something, even for educational purposes, without a permission. i didn't want to go there, i've intentionally avoid to lecture you on all that in my first comment. The only reason why I did comment at all is that I believe it is not fair to use something without permission and then complain about it. and "As Apple F***ed OSX..." is insulting in my book. but that's my personal opinion and that's something we can talk about of course.

i wonder where's the insulting part from my end on my statement above? using without permission = stealing. there is no blurred line when it comes to that. the only thing i've told you is that a post like yours is not welcome on this forum. if you beg to differ, no hard feelings, just go somewhere else.

http://www.lockergnome.com/osx…ckintosh-computers-legal/

• Ok, you are right Marc, anyway here EVERYTHING is legal now.
    I'll change my words in "I think that Apple, being focused on other things, has ruined (in my opinion) OSX" but there's one thing I want to add: I saw this 3-4 months ago on a friend's studio where he had a totally unstable P0lar TI2 on a MacPro hardware (the cylinder one) to the point of being unusable and he was going to sell it. So before taking any extreme decision I went to him and just plugged mine, just to see if it was a synth problem or not. And it wasn't. The Virus that here works, there doesn't. Same has been before for Maschine 1 (now N.I. adapted things). I think I can totally dislike this without offending, and suggest @fuzzykeys to use Win, also 'cause in my opinion right now is way better.
    Hope a post like this is more welcome.
    Have a nice day.

-iConnectivity MIO10
    -Virus TI2 P0lar
    -Waldorf Pulse (1)
    -Waldorf Blofeld

-Yamaha AN1x
    -Yamaha Reface DX

-Moog Minitaur
    -Maschine MK3

-Elektron Octatrack MKII

-Adam A7X

• eventually the MIDI driver is not working. updating doesn't rely on the MIDI driver. you might want to check if the OS loads the driver at all and if the driver gets activated when you plug-in the Virus. but that's me all guessing.

Thanks for the reply Marc. It's strange but neither take place. I can see that the driver has been installed to /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers, but it doesn't show up in Audio/MIDI setup.