Noisy black keys Ti2?

• Hello!

I picked up a used Ti2 recently. It was in immacualte condition.

However I noticed, after playing for a while, that some keys are a bit noisy and I can also feel there's a mechanical difference while playing. Especially when releasing the keys they make like a click. As if they are not perfectly aligned. The noise is a bit like it comes from a spring inside.

This only happens with some black keys, but they are all working fine and it comes and goes.

Is there something that can be done about this apart from changing the whole keybed?

• I have had my TI2 Polar for three years and the Fatar keybed is still the best out there, liquid-feeling and quiet. Which model do you have?

-dj

Nord Stage 2
    Access Virus Ti2 Polar
    Sequential Prophet 6
    Korg WS-AD
    Korg TR-Rack
    Roland XV-5050

• Oh, I forgot to say it's the big Ti2, 5 octave keyboard.

The noise is more prominent when the keys are pressed slightly from the side.
    It's also more prominent when the key is pressed slowly, kind of squeaky. Not at all loud but it's there.

• Well I've never torn apart my polar, so I can't tell you for sure, but on many keyboards there is a layer of felt on the down and upward movement to avoid mechanical wear on the plastic keys and keybed. On some keybeds they actually add a layer of a very light grease to reduce wear even more. Sounds like some of the keys are wearing through the felt.

• I'm not sure since I'm not the first owner. Has there been some change in the keybed between older and newer units?

I don't think so, but a unit that is 5-10 years old could easily have some wear that is causing the problem you are hearing.

The keybed on the 5 octave TI2 is probably one of the best ever made. I had the same fatar keybed in my old Kawai K5000s.

-dj

Nord Stage 2
    Access Virus Ti2 Polar
    Sequential Prophet 6
    Korg WS-AD
    Korg TR-Rack
    Roland XV-5050