Virus TI Snow Latency trough usb problem

• Yes... That's the one. Although I find each device needs 11ms of delay to be precise, depending on asio settings. I've even gone as far as to edit the midi device scripts for my hardware (midi device manger). Unlocking easy access to extra internal banks, expansion slots etc. I have an old CS2x and it took almost a year adding each wave name to the CS1x script (a few each day). They've since added the CS2x Script but it doesn't have the material voices selectable so it was still worth it. Sys ex is a huge WTF but another great Cubase feature is the tools they have under the hood to write these scripts.

I wouldn't set up your Snow that way. VC and USB makes it as such by default. Have you had any luck with it yet?

• What i don't understand in the Virus Ti is why doesn't let me to send notes trough midi instead of trough usb like that i can setup as my other hardware that goes trough the RME ADI 8 DS ad/da converter.
    If i use trough usb the latency is variable so the only possible solution is like u said in prevoius posts to render from usb audio outs directly if i want it to be on time.

I spoke also with Access support and they told me this:

When TI sounds are routed to the analog outs while the plugin is in use, the sound is not delay compensated due to technical reasons like this is the case with the USB audio streams. This means you have to manually delay tracks in Cubase triggering TI sounds and routed to analog outs.

So i guess there is no option because the latency is variable it's or use usb outs and the advantages of virus control plugin or use midi and don't use the advantages of the virus control plugin and edit sounds on the actual synth.

• What i don't understand in the Virus Ti is why doesn't let me to send notes trough midi instead of trough usb like that i can setup as my other hardware that goes trough the RME ADI 8 DS ad/da converter.
    If i use trough usb the latency is variable so the only possible solution is like u said in prevoius posts to render from usb audio outs directly if i want it to be on time.

no, the USB latency is not variable. it is sample accurate unless you hit the direct monitoring button which is not designed for what you want. in difference to the latency you get while working with the analog outs. if you want a good, latency free timing you want to use the USB outs.

• To help you understand... Every modern midi keyboard now uses USB to transmit midi. Using the old midi cables, although I have many, is a thing of the past. Why do you wish to do it the old fashioned way? A way that prevents many advantages of owning a TI.

The USB cable is a modern midi cable.

There would be absolutely no need to connect a midi cable to the Virus from your main midi device. VC sends it's data through the USB so why use 2 cables when the midi notes can go down there too? You can if you want ditch VC and use controller changes. But, you'll lose a midi port instead of gaining one.

https://www.mysteryislands-music.com These guys even make an editor.

As I mentioned earlier, I have old fashioned midi devices connected to the midi ins and out on my Virus. My PC/Cubase talks to them via the USB, through the Virus, out the midi port, to the hardware. I utilise the midi in on the Virus as a universal port for all my other rack synths, to record any tweaking done at the synth (this requires a home made switch to keep things clean). Using the Virus USB gives you an extra midi port. In my set up totalling 3 ins & out, 48 midi channels. If I did it the old fashioned way i would only have 2 with the Virus taking 1, a full 16 channels, leaving me with only 16 channels for all my other hardware. The USB midi is a god send, no need for a glitchy hub.

Zitat

This means you have to manually delay tracks in Cubase triggering TI sounds and routed to analog outs

You'd have to do that for all your hardware synths too, when they are set up to work like VST's, mixed with other VST's.

If you still insist on doing it that way we can help you set it up, it's quite easy but totally unnecessary. A thank you would be nice too. These posts take time to word.

• Zitat

To help you understand... Every modern midi keyboard now uses USB to transmit midi. Using the old midi cables, although I have many, is a thing of the past. Why do you wish to do it the old fashioned way? A way that prevents many advantages of owning a TI.

This was my confusion also because the Novation Ultranova gets midi from USB also and behaves the same like the other synths regarding latency when recorded trough it's analog outputs

Zitat

mysteryislands-music.com These guys even make an editor.

I know i use their editor for the JP8080 synth from Roland

Zitat

You'd have to do that for all your hardware synths too, when they are set up to work like VST's, mixed with other VST's.

Yes all my other hardware is setup with delay in milliseconds but they are nearly same regarding the soundcard buffer i have chosen

Zitat

If you still insist on doing it that way we can help you set it up, it's quite easy but totally unnecessary

You think i can setup the Virus to get notes trough midi and still use the Virus Control plugin trough USB?

Zitat

A thank you would be nice too. These posts take time to word.

I am more then thankful to everybody who take the time to post something about my problem. Maybe i didn't said it here but i really am and this just drive me crazy as i love the sound of the Virus and i want it to work as smooth as possible so i don't loose time every time in setting it up and get the best possible sound quality ... I mean that's why i bought separate AD/DA convertor from RME so i can get best possible results.

• I've just spent the last few hours having a right good old laugh... Got to love technology. I was going to post up a step by step guide on how to set it up, then I realised that you already know how to set it up that way, as you have.

Here's a lil experiment for you. Set up any 2 of the inputs on your audio interface to be the stereo in on Cubase, the first stereo in (this speeds up not having to reselect the stereo in for each audio track in the experiment). Connect the outputs of your hardware to that input. Load a standard init, no fx. Create a midi track triggering that hardware. Draw in on beat midi notes. Create an audio track set to record those inputs. Record the track (as you've done for the first picture). Now create a new audio track, record again. Do this a few more times for the same midi. Zoom in (a lot) at the start of each note, compare their position to each other in the track and the other tracks.

Does each note start at the same place? Are some notes slightly ahead, and even on the same track, slightly behind? If so, welcome to the Cubase infamous unintentional midi swing.

• Zitat

Here's a lil experiment for you. Set up any 2 of the inputs on your audio interface to be the stereo in on Cubase, the first stereo in (this speeds up not having to reselect the stereo in for each audio track in the experiment). Connect the outputs of your hardware to that input. Load a standard init, no fx. Create a midi track triggering that hardware. Draw in on beat midi notes. Create an audio track set to record those inputs. Record the track (as you've done for the first picture). Now create a new audio track, record again. Do this a few more times for the same midi. Zoom in (a lot) at the start of each note, compare their position to each other in the track and the other tracks.

Here is the test made on Roland System-1m Synth
    I must say you are right the recordings are not all in the same position.
    Solution about this?

[Blockierte Grafik: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98040912/Screen%20Shot%202016-08-12%20at%205.23.54%20PM.png]

• Ditch Cubase... lol!!!

Obviously that isn't going to happen, we love Cubase too much. Apparently this is an issue since 3 or 4 version ago, possibly SX. Many are annoyed that Steinberg aren't speaking up about it. There's a thread on their forum and it pops up from time to time. Sometimes it gets blamed on system time stamp but turning that on or off makes no difference for me. The other problem we have is the complaint can be seen as latency issues, notes ahead of time or delayed due to incorrect set up. Noobs often cry about this and think it's a broke Cubase, not realising that's an issue with latency in all DAWs. Sloppy timing apparently is not and that's the issue at hand, not latency (i will add, this is another reason to use the virus as full USB, as Marc said earlier, "it is sample accurate" which avoids this issue).

Many are claiming this sloppy timing isn't a problem on other DAWs. I'm currently in the process of making my own tests to see. I downloaded Studio 1 (I get a free copy) and Sonar Demo Thursday night but struggled to get anywhere. I get a free Ableton with my audio hub i use for Dj'ing so will try that next week.

Here's some info.
    http://www.soundonsound.com/te…ving-midi-timing-problems More to do with other latency issues, not sloppy.

• I read many forums lately and they say you need a midi synch product to synch your hardware with the software like for example

Expert Sleepers USAMO Sample Accurate MIDI Interface

Mode Machines Nano MIDI Sync CONVERTER

Kenton D-Sync Bi-Directional MIDI to DIN Sync CONVERTER

Has anybody tried this and can confirm it works actually?

• I've opened a ticket with Steinberg and I'm seriously considering buying a clock, I've not looked into it before but this sloppy midi has been causing phase issues in my productions for years. it needs to be fixed.

• IMO what you see here is the inaccuracy inherent to the MIDI protocol. A single note on event takes almost 1ms to be transmitted. Depending on how many MIDI events are sent through a dedicated port, there will be more or less (and possibly random) lags.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• BTW, do you observe the "sloppy timing" only with MIDI synths, or also with VST plugins? Because I've never seen (heard) it with VSTs. But I didn't look for it either.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+