Manual Update

• It would be very helpful to have updated versions of the Quickstart and Reference Manuals which include all the info of the current OS. Especially the Reference Manual should really cover all features and fully explain all parameters in detail.

Before stumbling over an online sound design discussion where Character was mentioned, I didn't anything about it because it's not mentioned in the reference. There is a section about it in the Addendum, but still no explanation of the different modes.

There are other sections where I also found the manuals to not cover current features or parameters.

It would be really helpful to have up to date documentation for such a complex and powerful synth.

Thanks for reading.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• have a look at the adddendum. new features are covered in there.

As mentioned above, I found that eventually but it is lacking as well.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• As mentioned above, I found that eventually but it is lacking as well.

That's what I was wondering. Thank you oliAtBass for confirming this!
    I think I have seen this addendum before also ("Software version 4.5.1" ?), and yes, I also wish there were more in depth explanations than are given in the manuals of how various parameters work- such as the Wavetable PWM Oscillator and how is it different than simply scanning a wavetable with an LFO??

• @GESchwalm: this is a quote from the addendum. i believe this should answer your question and if it doesn't feel free to contact support by email.

Wavetable PWM Oscillator

The WavePWM oscillator takes two instances of the same wavetable, and phase-shifts them against each
    other to achieve an effect reminiscent of the traditional pulsewidth modulation of a pulse wave oscillator.

• Index

This determines the playback position within the currently selected Wavetable. Each of the 128 available val-
    ues represents either a particular wave or the interpolation of the two nearest waves. Modulating the Index of
    a wavetable with an LFO or Envelope will often result in a highly-dynamic variation in the timbre of a sound,
    impossible via any other means.

This parameter can be modulated via the Mod Matrix and the LFO’s – please select Wavetable 1/2 Index
    from the list of available destinations

Please note that Table 0 (Sine) contains only a sine wave, and as such, the Index parameter will have no ef-
    fect on it.

• Wavetable

Selects the current Wavetable – each being a unique collection of different waves from which all manner of
    different timbres may be achieved.

• PulseWidth

At zero position, all the even-numbered harmonics are cancelled out, creating a hollow sound similar to a
    50% pulse wave - when the value reaches 127, the whole wave is almost entirely cancelled out, resulting in
    a much thinner sound.

This parameter can be modulated via the Mod Matrix and the LFO’s – please select Osc1/2 Pulse Width
    from the list of available destinations

• Detune

As with traditional PWM, much of the fun comes from modulating the pulsewidth by an LFO, which creates
    the characteristic warmth of detuned oscillators - the Detune parameter creates this effect automatically,
    with no further modulation assignments.

• Interpolation

Use this parameter to determine the how smoothly the different waves in the current Wavetable are blended
    into each other as the Wavetable Index of the respective oscillator is swept.

Hint: If you do not make use of either the PulseWidth or Detune parameters, switch back to Wavetable mode
    to save on DSP and increase polyphony!

• this is a quote from the addendum. i believe this should answer your question and if it doesn't feel free to contact support by email.

Wavetable PWM Oscillator

The WavePWM oscillator takes two instances of the same wavetable,

Thanks Marc! Yes, I may contact support as the part of the addendum explanation quoted above is an example of leading to more questions ("Which two instances? How are they chosen? Is an LFO involved? etc.).
    Thanks for your help.

• what do you miss exactly?

A couple of examples which I ran into by chance:

• As already mentioned: Character is mentioned in the Addendum, but not described in detail, neither in the Addendum nor in the Reference Manual, although there's even a control and an LED with that label on the hardware!
      Funny enough, there's a documentation of Analog Boost instead at the location where Character should be mentioned, and the title "Character" is used in the reference manual for the control/LED of "Others".
    • Just pressing SHIFT gives the three soft knobs the functions "Category", "Bank", "Program". "Bank" and "Program" are easy to understand and use. What does "Category" do?
    • CONFIG Keyboard pages 1-5 have 9 parameters which are not documented anywhere

• Local
      • Mode
      • Transpose
      • Transpose Buttons
      • Mod Wheel
      • Control Pedal
      • Hold Pedal
      • Pressure Curve
      • Velocity Curve

For example if you want to find out how to use keyboard LOCAL ON/OFF it's impossible by reading the manuals. Naturally, therefore it's also impossible to understand that by attaching the USB, a Virus Keyboard automatically switches to LOCAL OFF.

• CONFIG Soft Knob > Mode is undocumented
    • Global Soft Knob Settings > Destination does not exist

I'm sure that there are quite a couple more functions that are not (fully) documented. In general, there are several places where titles and subtitles or odd and confusing at best.

Also, the waveforms and wavetables are not documented or described at all. If it wasn't for a very helpful user who put together a PDF with waveforms and sonograms, we would be pretty clueless about what to expect.

Even if everything was fully documented, it's very hard and confusing to have to search at least three documents (Quickstart, Reference, Addendum) if not more (any of the Setup Guides).

HTH

• Hi Marc

Found another one:
    Vowel Filter and Comb Filter should be under the Section Filterbank.