The Sync-Issue relatin Virus TI and Logic X - Can anybody confirm that?

• My request is quite special but I think I could be solvable.
    Therefore I is nice to have such a big community with assistance one another.

My question is: is there the same sync cause and effect although the Ti works with Logic 9 or Logic X.
    I am using iMac (2011) with OS 10.8.5, Logic Pro 9, some MIDI Hardware, USB Devices like Arturias Spark, BeatStepPro und the TI Polar.

The Issue is locatable even the cause.
    In the following I'll decribe it:
    if I create a Tracks for the TI within notes the TI will stay stable insync as long as the track is active (red rec button lites).
    I can restart the part/cycle as often a I want - the TI works fine.
    If I go to another (let's take a midi) track and restart the part the TI will go out of sync.
    During this process I gonny get the Virus insync if I activate the rec button on it's track.

The support of Access answered to that:
    "I have discussed this Issue with our Productmanagement. While changing the track (as well as activating the rec button) some Bufferparameters will be changed.
    Perhaps Logic 9 does not report the to the Virus.
    The Productmanagement is in complete agreement it's a Bugreport to Apple but not in case of Logic 9. To late for that."

So my question is, before I buy a Logic X version in addition to a maverick update :
    Does anybody has this effect - even with Logic X - discribed below?

I hope the explanation was understandable with all necessary detail.
    I am thankfull for every little help.
    regards
    martin

Virus TI 2 Polar, Moog One 16, 4 x Novation Supernova 1 extendet, Waldorf XT, Virus A, Arturia Origin, Arturia Spark, Roland Spd20, Rolamd S760, 2 x Motu 24 AI, Novation SLmk3, 3x AKAI APC40mkII, Novation Lanchpad Pro, Novation Launch Control XL, Arturia The factory, TC electronic Mone, Dtwo, Midibox Seq.V4+, Fatar Studiologic 2000, Hackintosh with ableton 10 Suite

• Hi maddyman,

I can confirm the issue is still present in Logic X (10.2.4) and is very frustrating. I am running a MacPro late 2013 6 core with 64GB of RAM and OSX El Capitan 10.11.6.

It's been like this since forever and I very much doubt there will ever be a fix, so good old DIN is an option or get your Virus part bang on and bounce it out, keeping the TI part incase you need to tweak! Even with record enabled, any arp parts are prone to drifting - an age old problem.

Hope that helps.

• martin -
    let me just add that this doesn't happen here with Logic X . i've done a of demoing for the Virus in the last years and the demos were always consisting of for instance Virus Control and also 8 tracks for Stylus (or something else that provides drums). I never had a problem switching in between tracks. And if I did you would clearly hear it, there are enough of my demos available online.

but you've said something really interesting: you say that the timing comes back when you engage the record button. in logic X, the record state doesn't change when you switch to another track. it is either on or off and it doesn't mess with the timing.

marc

• Marc, we've been here before. As long as the record button is illuminated tempo sync etc appears to be cool, but not always - but much better than if it was not. I'm not in the business of making up fairy tales, considering the amount of capital I put in to my equipment. If you want a video, I'll give you a video and show you exactly what happens. Basing your findings on 8 tracks of Stylus is cool, but what happens when you introduce the multitude of other plugins that are available? It's not a fair comparison.

• Marc, we've been here before. As long as the record button is illuminated tempo sync etc appears to be cool, but not always - but much better than if it was not. I'm not in the business of making up fairy tales, considering the amount of capital I put in to my equipment. If you want a video, I'll give you a video and show you exactly what happens. Basing your findings on 8 tracks of Stylus is cool, but what happens when you introduce the multitude of other plugins that are available? It's not a fair comparison.

i was trying to illustrate my point. that aside, i never found that adding plug-ins changes the behavior of the virus. at least not on my setups. and it shouldn't unless you have a problem with your hosts software. talking about the record button, since the track in focus is always armed by default, what would be the purpose of changing that anyway? armed doesn't mean that you record something. it only means that you can, if you like.

• You're missing the point I do believe, correct me if I'm wrong! Of course the track is record ready when in focus. The point here is if you move to another track, let's say another virtual instrument that steals the record ready status then the TI goes out of sync. You know how closed the Apple OS is and there is not a lot you can do wrong surely? Perhaps my TI has been faulty from day one?

I should be celebrating really, it's ten years since I've owned it and every system I have had it's never really been any different, that includes Windows too. I think it needs a trip to repair HQ.

• Is there an updated TI setup guide to reflect current DAWs (Versions) Marc? I know how hard you guys have worked on this so I don't doubt it should be spot on. I've just upped my buffer size and it appears to be cool, and of course sounds as amazing as ever. Not here to throw a spanner in the works, just want it to be as reliable as I can get it. Was there any positive feedback on the Thunderbolt / USB devices? Just want the best out of this beautiful synth. X

• not here. but honestly Aj, i'm tired of repeating myself. do you really think we would ship a product which does not get something so fundament right?

Just wanted to chime in on this. Your product does not exist in a vacuum. What worked since the last release of the drivers and VSTi is not guaranteed to work today. This is the case with the current version of Sonar. Cakewalk updated to the newest VC and now the VSTi is throwing assertions and crashing because of memory issues which might be due to some compatibility change in newer MS' VC++ libraries.

You have a great product, but code rot can turn it into something unusable over time. It is inevitable. However, it is understandable that no hardware manufacturer will support the software side of a product forever as it is a never ending stream of unfunded work.

• However, it is understandable that no hardware manufacturer will support the software side of a product forever as it is a never ending stream of unfunded work.

Why? Software companies sell updates. They actually make a fortune with that business model. Why should Access not do the same, and turn that never ending stream of unpaid work into a never ending stream of income?

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Because there is not enough manpower to support everything on everything indefinitely and even limited support for older products is not cost effective. Access would need to buy all the software to test on and keep every version (not everyone updes\upgrades) with several pieces of hardware to host combination of patches or an it dept to manage virtual machines. Testing would be a continuous process. The price which folks would have to pay for the updates would be quite high to make this feasible. Even at my company we are forcing clients on an upgrade cycle because we are unable to support multiple versions of our product (note that it is singular) and its a software company. This is much worse in a company whose products are strictly hardware, which has a high startup cost. Most of Access' money goes to production and certification costs. A new product mean extensive prototype costs to he a piece of hardware the point where it can productionized.

Also, unless you are suggesting adobe style software licensing, there is no such thing as a steady stream of income for a company that makes money on sales.

• Cakewalk updated to the newest VC and now the VSTi is throwing assertions and crashing because of memory issues which might be due to some compatibility change in newer MS' VC++ libraries.

in this case you should contact Cakewalk because the change is in their code. by the way, the problem wasn't brought to our attention so far and we cannot confirm it. chances are that you can fix it. please contact support by email-

• I did contact Cakewalk and they analyzed the dumps and they found that the memory problem is within the vsti.

I also contacted support back in april. The information was forwarded to the Access developers and their response was that they are too busy.

• "Doesn't work" is not what I reported. I reported a reproducable crash during loading of projects that looks to be caused by memory corruption within the vsti. Quite a bit different. Most users just restart Sonar, I am required to report issues to Cakewalk.

Either way, my point was not to hijack this thread. It was to point out that software will eventually have issues that it didn't have before due to the changing nature of dev tools, os, and daw updates. My second point was that continued software updates from hardware manufacturers for older products is not a given and declines over time. I used my issue and experience as evidence for this.

• JS516k whilst what you said is quite true... Access managed to give us a whole host of stuff for free for many years. New distortions, extra envelopes, more waveforms. Had this been Waves, these would of cost us more as individual plug ins. I would of happily paid Access for the Distortion pack, when we got all those nice new pedal emulations. Especially, if it meant more for them to put into developing its OS. I'm sure many would agree and seen it as an investment into our product.

Perhaps that was their mistake, they seem pretty dead right now, nothing new for years, if money is tight, they could of had it., we'd of paid.
    Perhaps we only got those big early improvements as they were developing the TI2 and we were trickle fed the features it was intended to be released with, as they developed them, like a free testing ground.

I suspect that who ever did the plugin coding for Access has left, no longer contracted.

• I would of happily paid Access for the Distortion pack, when we got all those ice new pedal emulations. Especially, if it meant more for them to put into developing its OS. I'm sure many would agree and seen it as an investment into our product.

That is the model Line6 had taken starting with the PodXT and Roland with thier plug out system. Both are good models (no pun intended). Though I was speaking stricktly about the vsti and driver not the firmware, if an add-on/extension model was adopted to the firmware then it may pay for driver upkeep indirectly. :)