midi based librarian audio unit

• Now we all know how unreliable this synth can be whether its dodgy clock, arps, BSODS or failures to install the VST - but this synth is a completely different animal in midi mode outside of the VST enviroment.

Why oh why, oh why oh why, oh why oh why, Why oh why, oh why oh why, oh why oh why, Why oh why, oh why oh why, oh why oh why, Why oh why, oh why oh why, oh why oh why, Why oh why, oh why oh why, oh why oh why, Why oh why, oh why oh why, oh why oh why, Why oh why, oh why oh why, oh why oh why, Why oh why, oh why oh why, oh why oh why, Why oh why, oh why oh why, oh why oh why....

.....has ACCESS not brought out a midi based VST for use instead of the plugin audio unit which lets face it, has been buggy as hell on windows since day one.

Here are a couple of working alternatives

If this company can do one free but it doesnt clock to your DAW which is a major problem

http://ctrlr.org/access-virus-ti-snow/

The demo of this looks pretty good and it clocks to DAW, is missing categories though, I find these really important.

https://www.mysteryislands-mus…editor-librarian-plug-in/

Access need to stop fiddling around with colour schemes and patches and remember the hundreds / thousdands of owners out there ripping their hair out trying to use this synth in TI mode, we love our synth but hate TI, a midi based version would make us jizz our pants.

• HI !

If you would check out a bit more the forum here and it's content; then i'm sure you would find a solution for your problem.
    I did also have some little issues, but by smart browsing the forum my TI Snow works like a charm.

Just use the search function or even better read as much as you can :)

You will learn do's and don't and you will learn a hell of a lot more than you ever could imagine.

Good luck !

:D

• You must be new to this forum, I may be a "beginner" but I've been struggling with this synth for years. The main problems are when using it in TI mode the arps / clock are all over the place. you often get clicks and pops which should have been fixed but now, they should have moved to USB 2.0 with the Ti2, although USB was pretty mature when the TI1 came out so it should never have been released with USB 1.0 in the first place.

The other main issues is there update process and USB drivers, this is infuriating. You can install an update on a fully working system and it will totally trash it, its happened to me several times. It start off with a BSOD when you put the update on, then the USB port gets locked and you can even get your PC to recognize the virus. If you know what you are doing you can usually resolve this by completely removing the controller drivers the VIRUS was sat on, booting up ans starting again but sometimes it just doesn't work. My recent issue took me two days to fix, although I'm now fairly wise to what goes wrong so I've not had to rebuild my machine for a long time now.

There update package and how it works is pants, there update and driver install should be separate packages for one and sometimes they just dont compile them problem, often i've been unable to apply one update but been able to go back to an earlier version to have it install straight away, whoever builds these doesn't seem to have a clue what they are doing, or the guy that does takes too many holidays....

A lot of people have sacked of Ti and just use it with MIDI, this is why ACCESS should have brought out a midi based VST years ago so people had a choice of passing audio through the daw and being out of sync and poppy or recording into the DAW and having it rock solid, its frankly ludicrous ACCESS haven't given its customers this option already as its such s Goram obvious fix for all this synths woes.

If a free midi based plugin created by ACCESS came out tomorrow people would be jizzing in their pants all over the world, seriously.

• @stoolzo-

thanks for summing up a couple of things which have accumulated on this forum over time. we've stopped commenting on most because there is no point in repeating ourselves over and over again. fact is, that our support is able to solve most problems and they're fairly good at it. to disencourage others just because you have a bad experience is not necessary.

our updates work just fine. i've never heart of a general problem and i don't think there is one. the driver and virus control (the plug-in) belong together and only work in a tandem. that's why you cannot install the driver on its own.

we will never release a MIDI only solution. there are already two available and we do not see a benefit in making another one.

• The two options available, the ctrlr and the Mystery-Islands plugins only partially work. Neither one truly captures everything going on on the virus, and I know for a fact the ctrlr version whilst free still has serious problems. And since neither is actually supported by Access, there's no way to trouble shoot or otherwise get them to parity with the full features of the VST instrument.

And I also don't understand why there is no "Midi Only" / "Controller Only" option in the VST when there is clearly so much demand for it. It's really just tweaking the code you already have. I'd understand if this is a similar issue to the audio drivers, where you contracted the original software, and there's nobody in house that can do it. But even then I'd think it would be worth updating it for all the minor things that have been stacking up like screen resolution upgrades, version differences between platforms etc.

• we know that a MIDI only solution will result in many problems (which we cannot solve). we were the first one doing something like total integration and i believe we have a great experience in this field. just because a couple of people stated over and over again that a MIDI only solution would cure all their problems, it doesn't become true. it was the first thing we've tried about 12 years ago and it wasn't working for us because the MIDI timing was to bad.

the version differences we'll address with the next update.

• and I know for a fact the ctrlr version whilst free still has serious problems.

Are you talking about Windows and OSX systems, or Linux systems?

You know that on (some) Linux systems, incoming midi dumps are splitted into blocks of 256 bytes, and there is nothing I can do about it, it's out of my reach as a Ctrlr panel developer, we have talked about that. But it's a Linux issue only.

By the way, there's a new special version for the Snow managing all the four parts with a single instance (for Win and OSX only, and to avoid messing with Ctrlr app, the download links contain a standalone version and a plugin version ready to use inside a DAW) at http://ctrlr.org/snowed/
    Some users had problems reading the RAM/ROM patch banks of the unit, this has been finally fixed.

• Hrm I still have issues with arp editor, and other minor aspects, like the occasional CTRLR crash. To be fair you did an amazing job with it. I would still like to see official support for it.

I wonder is there some way to have the TI VST keep the messaging and the control but just skip the audio chain portion and have the audio direct out? Or was the timing poor for that as well?