Virus TI using without drivers / Open source

• Hi...

so with Ploytech / usb-audio dragging their heals again on updating the drivers for Mac OS Sierra... Im wondering about alternatives, in particular not using the Virus drivers at all.

first thing to say, I don't use the Virus TI plugin, which necessitates the need for the drivers and virus control.

- I know how to get the Virus to switch to USB mode, and so get USB class compliant midi. (I can write C code to do this, as ive done on other platforms)
    - according to this thread (Virus TI and Unbutu) if the drivers are not installed the virus will act as a standard audio interface.

BUT... the missing part is the sound coming from the synth engine,
    which got me wondering...

I recognise that its likely Access cannot open source the code for the drivers, as this is likely owned by Ploytech. so its not theirs to give away.
    But surely Access are at liberty to detail the usb protocol that is in use? this way we could (in the open source community) could develop a driver.
    (this is much easier than trying to reverse engineer the protocol ... Im guessing we need to know audio format, and also probably information about sync'ing)

also, whilst they are at it... Access could open source the plugin code.... after all, its no use without the hardware, so why keep it closed source?
    ... its hardly intellectual property either, as its just sending sysex to the TI via the drivers.

Ive a pretty big fear, that Access has stopped developing the TI range, supporting the software is just a 'burden', its one they have to live with whilst selling TIs,
    but should they stop selling TI's they will probably just stop supporting the software... and once that happens the next OS release will basically kill 'total integration'

So.. Access, why not give the open source community what they need to be able to supporting the TI, so WHEN its not commercially viable to support the TI anymore, there is still an option open to users.
    (its also means Linux can be better supported in the meantime!)

btw: this is definitely not a dig at Access, they have been great at supporting the TI for years... its about opening up what will always become 'legacy' hardware to future support before its too late...
    (this stopping of software support is 'natural', most companies have done it, including NI, Roland, Nord... so its inevitable, but perhaps Access can buck the trend by having a strategy)

Id of course, be very interested to hear from Access, what their plans are in general... (though recognise they have some sensitivity to future plans, and what can be promised etc, so just looking for a general outline nothing more)

thoughts?

p.s. I know I can use the analog audio outputs to an audio interface, if I don't have the synth audio coming via usb, which is what i do currently... but it would be nice to have the option of usb audio.

• Tbh, I'd be happy if we had a software editor which is purely that. I find it much easier to put patches together via the plug-in than on the Virus front-panel.

...but, if I were Access (and the company was still viable), I'd be writing my own audio driver.

• Yes, interesting points and arguments in thetechnobear posts. Even if I doubt they will ever publish as opensource the TI even when will be legacy, I agree totally with him!

-Windows 10 Pro 64bit DAW (Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero + i9-9900)

-Steinberg Cubase 10 + Steinberg CC121 Controller
    -Steinberg MR816 CSX + Behringer ADA8200
    -iConnectivity MIO10
    -Virus TI2 P0lar
    -Waldorf Pulse (1)
    -Waldorf Blofeld

-Yamaha AN1x
    -Yamaha Reface DX
    -Clavia Nord Modular G1 Expanded

-Moog Minitaur
    -Maschine MK3

-Elektron Octatrack MKII

-Adam A7X
    https://soundcloud.com/daksha

• Just wanted to show support, completely agree with your points.
    Let developers like us become contributors instead of whiners ;)

I also suggested in another thread that, at least, a stripped-down version of VC that acts as a librarian with no USB functionality but still allows you to open existing projects, would be better than nothing if the TI were to be abandoned at some point.

• I fully support this idea. I to am a developer. Never developed drivers but it would be fun to try.
    I use the VIrus with TI all the time in every track i make. I fear what will happen when it is no longer supported. It is a recurring nightmare for me.
    The dream would be that TI continues its support for this fantastic synth.

Ps.
    Why is the forum in german when i am logged in and why cant i set it to be in english. I can set it when i am not logged in. But as soon as i log in the litte flag to set it disappears.

• I would join the project as a dev if you actually want to give it a try ;)

Want to get rid of Windows.. and Mac is ever worse.
    The only thing that holds me back on switching to Linux, is a lot of windows-only audio stuff, like the Virtus Ti drivers.

I don't think that we can expect any help from Access, but also don't think that we need it. reverse engineering ftw.. *g*
    Let me know if there is github / sourceforge / .. => if the project has been kicked off. Would be happy to help ;)