Very disappointed - power outage, now TI won't turn on!

• Well, sadly I think the time has come to temporarily discard my beloved TI. I had a power outage this morning for no more than 15 mins, and though I have experienced a similar issue when again I lost power (probably 6 months ago, again only for around 15 mins), my TI has decided it is ignoring me, and is simply not turning on. I have done the 'remove all cables, wait 30 s, press EXIT key' etc, many many times. Doing this worked after the second or third attempt the previous time this happened, but it seems now that my TI has died.

I was only on my TI last night, with everything working perfectly. I have been one of the lucky ones never to have experienced massive issues with clicks or pops, nor sync issues so often reported - mine has worked flawlessly for many years so now seems really disappointing for a high end, expensive synth, to have a power supply issue not allowing the TI to turn on.

Sadly, I simply can't afford to ship this to Access, nor currently can I afford any expensive repairs.

If anyone has experienced similar issues I'd be delighted to hear from you. I'm a very sad chap today.

Mac OSX Yosemite

• Mine got the main board burned by a powerloss. It turned on with blank screen and random leds only.
    If your doesn't completely turns on, it could be simply the internal power supply.
    Service has been fast, my virus stayed away a lilltle more than a month in total, from the day I sent it to the day I received it back at home.
    I'm in Italy, service is is Germany.
    If it's a Power Supply only problem, it will be faster and not so expansive. Worth anyway repairing.
    Wait until when you have some money and repair it.

-Windows 10 Pro 64bit DAW (Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero + i9-9900)

-Steinberg Cubase 10 + Steinberg CC121 Controller
    -Steinberg MR816 CSX + Behringer ADA8200
    -iConnectivity MIO10
    -Virus TI2 P0lar
    -Waldorf Pulse (1)
    -Waldorf Blofeld

-Yamaha AN1x
    -Yamaha Reface DX
    -Clavia Nord Modular G1 Expanded

-Moog Minitaur
    -Maschine MK3

-Elektron Octatrack MKII

-Adam A7X
    https://soundcloud.com/daksha

• May I ask how much the repair cost please, Chris? As you read - I am experiencing a similar issue but life is pretty shitty for me at the moment and I need to consider how I save for the shipping and repair costs. Hope you don't mind my asking, if you're happy to let me know, by all means message me. Thanks matey.

Mac OSX Yosemite

• Well, after reading what a few others had tried given similar circumstances, and also given that my Virus is many years out of its warranty, I decided to take the risk, open her up and take a look. The internal power supply is simply a plug-in type (excuse the pun), similar to those supplied with laptops, and I had a slightly more powerful power supply unit that I could use, so simply swapped them out.

I am delighted to say that I now once again, have a fully functioning VirusTI

Very happy.

Mac OSX Yosemite

• In order to stay away from future problems, I'd suggest you replace the with the proper one which can be ordered online from Access or Thomann.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• In order to stay away from future problems, I'd suggest you replace the with the proper one which can be ordered online from Access or Thomann.

Rather disappointingly, the internal power supply provided with the Virus is of fairly low quality - which is a shame since it is installed in an extremely high quality synthesiser. I have replaced the power supply with one rated much higher and of much better quality.

Mac OSX Yosemite

• JohnBurns: did you have a surge protector?

Sadly I didn't, though I do now on the one I replaced it with. I don't believe that should be an excuse for what I consider as low cost, low quality power supply within a very high quality synth of German design. The original internal power supply provided with such a great synth is really quite poor and lightweight.

Mac OSX Yosemite

• Sadly I didn't, though I do now on the one I replaced it with. I don't believe that should be an excuse for what I consider as low cost, low quality power supply within a very high quality synth of German design. The original internal power supply provided with such a great synth is really quite poor and lightweight.

the power supply in our synth is as good as the ones used with quality laptops. it is reliable and we don't have complains about it at all. and even though the power supply looks small, it is build with quality components. modern power supplies are not necessarily big anymore. on top the Virus doesn't require much power, therefore it doesn't need a powerful power supply.

a power supply is not designed to withstand surges or heavy current fluctuations. it can buffer above to a degree but what happens during a power outage is beyond that. the key is to protect against spikes. and those happen when the network is under extreme load or only partially available.

those are great and help in those cases: http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=AC-215A_PRO

• Slightly disagree here Marc, I'm afraid. Even the weight of the unit itself is very very light. i appreciate that's not a specific indicator of quality per sé, but compared to the replacement unit I installed (same voltage, surge protector built it, higher power rating), it is very light indeed.

I also appreciate you may not have had 'many' issues with power supplies, but personally, for £2500 (when I bought mine) I would have expected a power supply to last as long if not longer than the quality synth the TI itself is, not become intermittent thus rendering my TI unusable.

Mac OSX Yosemite

• Slightly disagree here Marc, I'm afraid. Even the weight of the unit itself is very very light. i appreciate that's not a specific indicator of quality per sé, but compared to the replacement unit I installed (same voltage, surge protector built it, higher power rating), it is very light indeed.

I also appreciate you may not have had 'many' issues with power supplies, but personally, for £2500 (when I bought mine) I would have expected a power supply to last as long if not longer than the quality synth the TI itself is, not become intermittent thus rendering my TI unusable.

the power supplies we've used years ago were bigger and heavier. those still exist and they're not better. in fact those overhead easier because they get warmer. so please don't judge the quality of a power supply on the weight. and don't make this a general problem just because you had bad luck. don't get me wrong, i'd be annoyed as well but you're barking up the wrong tree.

• Could someone please share what kind of internal power supply you used? My Virus TI 2 Desktop sits dead and won't power up no matter what I do. I've contacted Access and Kemper US this week and haven't heard back. I also own a TI Snow and swapped external power supplies so I know it's something internal. This has happened before, but I was always able to resurrect it after multiple attempts of forced update mode or a reset. It won't take this time and it's very frustrating...

• Sure Andrew!

I happened to have a spare Dell external 240v 12v DC power supply which matched exactly what was needed. I simply removed the TI cover, removed the power supply which was connected by a standard power supply connector, fixed the replacement DELL power supply in place, made sure the cable was secured to the chassis with duct tape and some glue, and voila!

Shout if you need more info, I'd be happy to take the cover off again and take some snaps for you.

Mac OSX Yosemite

• I simply removed the TI cover, removed the power supply which was connected by a standard power supply connector, fixed the replacement DELL power supply in place, made sure the cable was secured to the chassis with duct tape and some glue, and voila!

The Desktop has an external power supply. There's no need to open the chassis.

Could someone please share what kind of internal power supply you used? My Virus TI 2 Desktop sits dead and won't power up no matter what I do.[...] I also own a TI Snow and swapped external power supplies so I know it's something internal. [...]

So AndrewM already states that the power supply can be ruled out, right?

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Thanks to both of you for the response. Even though the desktop has an external power supply, there also needs to be a piece inside to provide the contact. Possibly that part is the issue?

John Burns, I'd love to see some pictures. Which TI do you own?

Also, no word from Access / Kemper yet... :sigh:

• OliAtBass - oops, yep, missed that one. Well spotted :)

Andrew: Apologies, as mentioned above, I missed that you are on a TI Desktop, I have the TI keyboard version.

Mac OSX Yosemite