Virus TI2 VST out of sync MIDI/audio

• I'm having trouble keeping Virus TI synced with my host. The attached image pretty clearly shows the problem. The synth may be playing in time for awhile, but given a pause (e.g. a measure without any MIDI being sent) it quickly gets out of sync. The first MIDI note after that pause will be out of time, and then the Virus manages to get itself back together. Tips, thoughts?

(The Virus is connected directly by USB to my MacBook Pro and is being used as a synth only, not as an audio interface.)

• That would be one more issue to watch when rendering audio from the Virus TI.
    However, it could be that Ableton Live is sending that note early... couple of thoughts for testing:
    - If you use a Synth Plugin instead of the Virus to play and record that line, is it in sync?
    - If you use the Virus standalone without Virus Control over USB, is it in sync?
    - If you use the Virus standalone with MIDI and Audio cables, is it in sync?

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Upon spending more time with this, I have found that this is a completely reproducible issue. When the Virus has stopped receiving MIDI for a brief time, the next note does not "hit" right away. Anyone from Access have tips?

• Is the first note always ahead of the beat? Did you try with a different DAW than Ableton Live?

I'm asking beacuse I've not observed that behavior in Cubase 8.5 yet, but I'd need to check.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Hello,
    I have the same problem (ableton live) but it is not reproducible, some of the times the first note is out of sync but then the other notes stay in sync for all the rest of the song, also if there are pauses in between.

Also during consecutive play and stop operations, sometimes all the tracks goes completely out of sync but hitting the two MIDI note reset buttons everything goes back to normality.

regards

• Also during consecutive play and stop operations, sometimes all the tracks goes completely out of sync but hitting the two MIDI note reset buttons everything goes back to normality.

That happens often in Cubase as well, especially with arpeggiated sounds. It's even documented and the cure is to start the sequencer one or two bars before the first note so that Virus TI can get in proper sync with the MIDI clock. But those notes are generally laggingand and not before the beat.

• Why can't the Virus clock just stay in sync? There shouldn't be any need for "tricks" to get it in sync.

Because if the sequencer is stopped there is no clock, and when it starts the Virus needs time to synchronize to the clock. Same with any hardware synth synced via over MIDI clock. After all, the Virus is a piece of external hardware and not running inside your DAW.

• The truth is that midi only hardware synthesizers sync almost immidiately...at least that's what's happening with mine. For the virus, if using TI, a workaround would be to press the play button some time before the part you actually wish to audition - I find a whole bar is usually enough. It needs its time :)